kseidel

Saddle Pics

I have had these pics on a cd for months and finally got some into the computer.

This saddle won first place in the tooled saddle category at the 2010 "World Leather Debut" in Sheridan Wy. It was not published in the Leather Crafters And Saddlers Journal, so I thought I would post some pics on here.

It is a 16" modified association 14" wide, 4"high X 13"wide cantle with 1 3/4" cheyenne roll. #4 Post dally horn with 3 1/4" cap. Fully tooled with a wyoming wild rose pattern with smooth leather under riders legs. The saddle features an inlaid padded seat, is fully lined and machine stitched @ 8 stitches per inch. Color is two tone chestnut. Note the seat is inset into the swell for a flush fit. Keith Gertsch made the tree, and Rob Schaelein made the sterling silver conchos.

Thanks for looking.

Keith Seidel

post-5801-050894300 1297478900_thumb.jpgpost-5801-094605000 1297479049_thumb.jpgpost-5801-072211600 1297479048_thumb.jpgpost-5801-006064600 1297479039_thumb.jpgpost-5801-093206400 1297479040_thumb.jpgpost-5801-019650000 1297479043_thumb.jpgpost-5801-013872200 1297479045_thumb.jpgpost-5801-027306400 1297479047_thumb.jpg

Keith, It is truley beautiful in every aspect. ( I am blown away and just shaking my head )

Thanks, Billy

It is a piece of work to be proud of without a doubt ! Nice job !!

Without question, made with the pride and attention fo detail that all your work exhibits. Absolutely top notch!

Bob

Mr. Seidel,

To comment on the beauty of this saddle would be superfluous.

As a want to be saddle builder, I don't have the words anyway.

Just looking at all the work, and skill that went into making a saddle such as this is almost more than I can comprehend.

Especially knowing (from first hand experience), how one slip of the tool can destroy a piece of work.

May I ask of you Mr. Seidel,( or anyone that knows) is this saddle an in-skirt rigging design?

If so, what is the line of stitching going up at the back billet for?

Thanks .

Joel

Keith,

As ALWAYS!!!! Absolutely great work. Two tone chestnut sure looks nice. Wonderful attention to detail as always even in the smallest details. Hats off!

Regards,

Ben

Thank you all for the compliments. I'm glad you like it. I know that I sure appreciate seeing work that others post, I just don't take the time to post many pics.

May I ask of you Mr. Seidel,( or anyone that knows) is this saddle an in-skirt rigging design?

If so, what is the line of stitching going up at the back billet for?

That is an in-skirt rigging and the stitchline you see behind the rear billet is the back edge of the rigging plate. The rigging plate is a single piece overlay that covers the front of the skirt and extends to behind the slot which makes up the rear rigging. It extends up to the tree and creates a housing for the back bar. I feel the rear rigging is better supported by ending the rigging in this way and having the stitching to add rigidity. You can see the shape as demonstrated by the attach diagram.

post-5801-079788800 1297541171_thumb.jpg

Hahaha, I laughed when I saw the title. We appreciate your shameless self promotion. Not enough saddle pics posted these days.

Excellent work. Beautiful in every aspect. Great job on the swell, great job on the seat, on the inlay, on the roll, stitching, edges, color, really immaculate work.

A pleasure to look at. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Troy

Looks good Kieth. Who made the silver rivet caps?

Jon

Looks good Kieth. Who made the silver rivet caps?

Jon

never mind, i just read all the words on your post... i know nothing has changed right.?

Hahaha, I laughed when I saw the title. We appreciate your shameless self promotion. Not enough saddle pics posted these days.

Excellent work. Beautiful in every aspect. Great job on the swell, great job on the seat, on the inlay, on the roll, stitching, edges, color, really immaculate work.

A pleasure to look at. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Troy

Thanks Troy. I titled this just for you! And you are right, there fewer saddle pics posted lately. Guess we all betterpost some of our work more regularly.

Keith

First let me say how amazing your work is !

May I pose a question or two?

On my last padded seat the thought entered my mind. What is a proper space between the cantle edge and the padded seat?

How tight is to tight? How much material do you need to maintain proper integrity on the seat?

also if you would tell me about your finish process I would be very pleased

Thanks

Josh

Sure is a thing of beauty. I really like the shape of the inlaid seat. I always kind of wonder about what Josh asked, too. Chris Tornow

First let me say how amazing your work is !

May I pose a question or two?

On my last padded seat the thought entered my mind. What is a proper space between the cantle edge and the padded seat?

How tight is to tight? How much material do you need to maintain proper integrity on the seat?

also if you would tell me about your finish process I would be very pleased

Thanks

Josh

Sorry to take so long to get back here... just been too busy to check the computer.

Good question on the inlaid seat. I try to make the cut out as wide as possible to prevent the rider from feeling the edge. This can get quite close to the corner of the cantle. I make a "pillow" for my inlaid seats using a piece of firm 3-4 oz tooling leather for the bottom under the rubber. This gives the seat support from side to side allowing me to get closer to the corner without sacrificing integrity of shape. I am more concerned with comfort and then aesthetics at this point. I calculate the cutout to correspond to the lines of the cantle binding and the tooling borders of the dish and ears of the seat. There is usually about an inch to 1 1/4" from the ear cut of the seat.

Your next question about my finishing process is a much bigger question. What specifically would you like to know about? And in how much detail? The basics... Color is a custom mixed color to be a rich chestnut, oiled to depth with olive oil. Antiqued finish is lacquer, Fiebings mahogany antique paste, and another lacquer. Background is dyed with chocolate dye. The real color is achieved with the oil. It takes several coats and several days to balance the color prior to final finish.

Thanks for the compliments.

Keith

Yes, clear work with incredible produce.

I thought is impossible produce this work on earth :notworthy:

These pics are truly inspirational :thumbsup::specool:

Thanks for your pics

Martin

Keith,

I have admired your work since I came here to L.W. I would like to be a fly on the wall in your saddle shop so I could watch you work, and learn all your saddle making secrets!

Hilly

Keith

Thanks for your shameless self promotion!! It is inspirational to see work and craftmanship of this quality. Keep sharing

Andy

amazing cantle binding, beautiful tooling!