Bar C Leather

Extremely Bad First Experience W/ Supplier

the way i look at it is this....in this economy information like this about suppliers is vital to most, especially the hobbyists who typically work on a very short shoestring. if seeing the truth about his companys service is making him angry then perhaps steve needs to look at his service through new eyes and find a way to fix it rather than blaming those whose experiences with his company were rather unpleasant.

I found leatherwork and subsequently this site when I went jobless and had free time. I had been meaning to contribute the moment I found a full time job. But as it is, I am still jobless.

However, this thread is motivating me to contribute NOW, as I would like my favourite site to go on without being held hostage by advertisers who thinks our business is their right, rather than working sincerely to earn it.

As per the story in Luke 21: 1-4, I would make my little contribution right after this post, hoping it would make a difference, however little it is. And more to come, when a full time job comes knocking.

Hi Bryan,

The reason for dropping the advertising was because we were NOT servicing this clientele the way that they should be serviced. It was not retribution. I do care about y'all, it's just that we are not the company for many of you.

I was not the one to make this a public issue.

I have been bashed on 3 different threads for the last few months from this board. Some of the comments were EXACTLY RIGHT ON, but there were so many that were nothing but hateful; like the fellow that said take me off your mailing list, but, refused to give us the information to find him. To me, that is just spiteful and in poor taste.

The other leather companies that advertise on this board are set up much better to service y'all.

And as far as support of the :"industry" many of you know that we have given away 100's of thousands of dollars of leather for FREE to help others.

I wish y'all well.

Best Regards,

Steven Siegel, CEO

Siegel of California, Inc

I found leatherwork and subsequently this site when I went jobless and had free time. I had been meaning to contribute the moment I found a full time job. But as it is, I am still jobless.

However, this thread is motivating me to contribute NOW, as I would like my favourite site to go on without being held hostage by advertisers who thinks our business is their right, rather than working sincerely to earn it.

As per the story in Luke 21: 1-4, I would make my little contribution right after this post, hoping it would make a difference, however little it is. And more to come, when a full time job comes knocking.

Sir,

No one is holding anyone hostage. (Please see my other post)

My Bible would encourage people to find peace with their fellow men. (With all due respect to the Lord, I am as guilty as the next person of not following this advice.) Peace brings unity, strength, love, health and prosperity. Dnn't you agree?

Regards,

Steven Siegel

The reason for dropping the advertising was because we were NOT servicing this clientele the way that they should be serviced.

it's just that we are not the company for many of you.

The other leather companies that advertise on this board are set up much better to service y'all.

Can you clarify your statements? Since the vast majority of us here are either hobbyist or small businesses owners, are you saying that we would be better serviced by another supplier? That is what I'm reading.

It does sound like large $ orders are what they prefer, however I am trying to understand Steven's side also. Clarification may help, but it seems that Steven digs a deeper hole for himself every other time he posts. It might be best for his business to just let this thread die. I don't think it's gonna help anyone to continue this discussion at this point.

Bar C,

Your story sound similar to my story about 3 years ago with the same company. I got swatches in the mail, was assured that the leather was soft and plyable on the phone, quality leather for pillow making. No scratches...... occasional brand.... I get the leather and it is all scratched up, not plyable - pretty stiff, and did not look anything like my sample. I called for a few weeks and finally gave up hope, as I was too busy at the time. It sat in the box for about a year - waiting for the pick up slip - which never came. I just stopped buying from them. At the time they were the only place that I got leather from. I did receive calls from them a few times after, but it was to sell me more leather, not to see what happened with the order I was unhappy with. When I would bring it up to their attention, I was told that they would send a pick up tag...... Never happened. After they called about 4 times trying to get me to buy more leather, I asked them to take me off their list, that I would never buy from them again.

I tell you this story because I don't want you to feel like you are the odd duck out..... It happened to me too! On a good note, I was able to use the stiff leather, it was a backer for table runners and boot stockings.

G

He posted a nice comment on a topic about making amends. I hope things get settled. It's good to have a variety of suppliers in the field, after all.

Making amends on a customer service issue is going to take far longer than a couple or 3 days and the promise of free this and free that.

I agree with Outcast that the stories keep changing from one post to another. Sunday, he as much as said we were not important to his business model. Today, he's wanting to give away the farm for information and our business.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Bar C,

Your story sound similar to my story about 3 years ago with the same company. I got swatches in the mail, was assured that the leather was soft and plyable on the phone, quality leather for pillow making. No scratches...... occasional brand.... I get the leather and it is all scratched up, not plyable - pretty stiff, and did not look anything like my sample. I called for a few weeks and finally gave up hope, as I was too busy at the time. It sat in the box for about a year - waiting for the pick up slip - which never came. I just stopped buying from them. At the time they were the only place that I got leather from. I did receive calls from them a few times after, but it was to sell me more leather, not to see what happened with the order I was unhappy with. When I would bring it up to their attention, I was told that they would send a pick up tag...... Never happened. After they called about 4 times trying to get me to buy more leather, I asked them to take me off their list, that I would never buy from them again.

I tell you this story because I don't want you to feel like you are the odd duck out..... It happened to me too! On a good note, I was able to use the stiff leather, it was a backer for table runners and boot stockings.

G

Why don't you take up Siegel on his offer? You have nothing to lose, and may end up with some satisfaction. Better late than never.

Terry

Like i said before i haven't had any problems with Steven of his company and i have bought from them for 10 or 12 years. Not once has anybody i talked to on their end been short or hatefull with me. They have always been nice and helpfull. I've never had a problem with any of the advertisers on this site and i have bought from several of them.

What really gets me is the people that it seems have never bought anything from them giving negative comments. How do you know if their service is good or bad ? It seems like the Mob Mentality has kicked in. A couple of people had trouble and now they must be terriable folks to trade with. But how many thousands of satisified customers are their ? I don't know but they must be doing something right to be in business for a 100 years. Nobody's perfect or nobody i know of anyway. I do know some that think they are though. Mistakes are going to happen and that's a fact !

Yes i have voiced my complaints on here about Weaver's and i still think i was ripped off on the shipping. But that's life, i don't have to trade with them. That's a choice i made. Another choice i have made and will keep making is to trade with Siegel's. I placed a order today for around $300.00 . It should be here in about a week that's how long UPS takes.

Opinions are like Butts and Belly Buttons most everbody has one.

Edited by dirtclod

Like i said before i haven't had any problems with Steven of his company and i have bought from them for 10 or 12 years. Not once has anybody i talked to on their end been short or hatefull with me. They have always been nice and helpfull. I've never had a problem with any of the advertisers on this site and i have bought from several of them.

What really gets me is the people that it seems have never bought anything from them giving negative comments. How do you know if their service is good or bad ? It seems like the Mob Mentality has kicked in. A couple of people had trouble and now they must be terriable folks to trade with. But how many thousands of satisified customers are their ? I don't know but they must be doing something right to be in business for a 100 years. Nobody's perfect or nobody i know of anyway. I do know some that think they are though. Mistakes are going to happen and that's a fact !

Yes i have voiced my complaints on here about Weaver's and i still think i was ripped off on the shipping. But that's life, i don't have to trade with them. That's a choice i made. Another choice i have made and will keep making is to trade with Siegel's. I placed a order today for around $300.00 . It should be here in about a week that's how long UPS takes.

:16:

dirtclod,

I am more than happy that you have been treated fair and square by Seigle. There are obvious shortcomings concerning the company at this time. Fact they have been in business for so long does not parallel

the problems some have encountered this day and age.

ferg

In reading this thread I think there are some things we can all learn here for our own businesses:

1.) Customer service can never be neglected. It is often said that a satisfied customer will tell 2-3 people but an unhappy customer will tell 10. In today's world of the internet, that 10 can easily be thousands. So no matter what we make and sell, be it holsters, saddles or supplies to leatherworkers, we need, to the best of our ability, to deal with everyone so that they are satisfied.

2.) It takes time, energy and hard work to build a good reputation.

3.) It doesn't take much time to lose it.

4.) As hard as it is to build a good reputation, it is even harder to rebuild it once it has been damaged. To prevent needing to do that, see item #1.

Hopefully we are are working on #1 and #2 in our businesses. If, for some reason, #3 has happened, I wish everyone the best in working on #1 and #4. It IS possible to do these things. It just takes time and effort - and sometimes being given the benefit of the doubt by people inclined to do so...

Amen, Denise.......:16:

Great insight. Several call centers who have initiated turn-arounds concerning customer service/reputation rebuilds have something similar pasted on every cube that has customer service representatives working for the company.

Regards,

Ben