The real deal from Tandy. Its been sitting in a box for 10 years. After finally being able to pry the cap off it looks like it's thickened a little. It's light yellow in color and slightly less viscous than honey.

Any way to save this stuff? I put some on a piece of scrap and it covered ok apart from being hard to spread because it's so thick. What can I cut it with? Mineral spirits? Turpentine? Anything?

The real deal from Tandy. Its been sitting in a box for 10 years. After finally being able to pry the cap off it looks like it's thickened a little. It's light yellow in color and slightly less viscous than honey.

Any way to save this stuff? I put some on a piece of scrap and it covered ok apart from being hard to spread because it's so thick. What can I cut it with? Mineral spirits? Turpentine? Anything?

You do realize Neat Lac is still available only with an OEM name. Tandy owned the "Neat Lac" brand name if I remember correctly.

Without doing some digging I don't remember the name of the company I bought the "Real Stuff" from.

ferg

You do realize Neat Lac is still available only with an OEM name. Tandy owned the "Neat Lac" brand name if I remember correctly.

Without doing some digging I don't remember the name of the company I bought the "Real Stuff" from.

ferg

Clear-lac is sold by Springfield, although there may be others also selling it under their own brand names. I believe LCI is the manufacturer.

Clear-lac is sold by Springfield, although there may be others also selling it under their own brand names. I believe LCI is the manufacturer.

Your are correct, LCI is the manufacturer of the ClearLac that was also known as NeatLac. I just found my info when I bought from them.

ferg

@TwinOaks Thanks!

ferg

Yeah I do know that. It's a nostalgia thing that makes me want to use it. ;)

I guess I need to break down and buy some clear-lac 'cause everyone's always mentioning neat-lac... what exactly is it that makes it so popular?

I guess I need to break down and buy some clear-lac 'cause everyone's always mentioning neat-lac... what exactly is it that makes it so popular?

It's a lacquer based finish, NOT water based, so one can use it over eco flo dyes without them running.

I was told once that lacquer finishes are safe to coat the outside of drinking vessels for use... Im not sure about that. I know that once lacquer cures its supposed to be inert. Anyone know if this is true or not?

There are a couple of discussion on mug finishes in the reenactment section.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26684

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27554

I believe both come to the conclusion that a product called Salad Bowl Finish, found in work working stores and shops, is what people use but it's not perfect.

Thanks Hellfire, but I think the Salad Bowl Finish was to be used on the inside. this person told me that they used a lacquer to seal the outside so that when a person drank from it , they wouldnt remove off the dye/acrylic etc..

It's a lacquer based finish, NOT water based, so one can use it over eco flo dyes without them running.

Just don't try using it as a resist for any of the Eco antiques. Makes some of the ugliest colors I have ever seen. Found out the hard way. I do agree it works fine as a sealer over the eco dyes.

Terry