Sign in to follow this  
Gawdzilla

Smart Phone Case Pattern?

Here's a case pattern I just worked. Few warts yet, so feel free to modify as you wish. There will a push hole on the 4 5/8" line, I just punch two holes with a good size punch and cut out the leather between them. I will also put relieving holes at each end of that line. Rivet holes on the flaps pretty much depend on what weight leather you're using.

Feel free to make any improvement or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

post-15444-076351700 1297897761_thumb.jp

Edited by Gawdzilla

After some experimenting: If you lower the holes on the side flaps 1/2" (and adjust the flaps accordingly) there will be enough of the phone sticking up that the push hole won't be needed. Still optional, however. If you do this, take 1/2" off the top.

I'm planning on using velcro closers from Wally World.

I bought a kit from Tandy. Not sure I like their design though. Do you have a picture of this one put together? I can't get my little pea brain wrapped around this one.

I bought a kit from Tandy. Not sure I like their design though. Do you have a picture of this one put together? I can't get my little pea brain wrapped around this one.

I'm dealing with the flu right now so I'm a little slow. I have both styles cut and punched. I have to stamp them then dye and rivet. Hopefully pix today.

Basically, however, the flaps bend in and match up with the holes on the back panel. I put the flaps on the inside to reduce snags in the pocket. Your call on that, of course. You can also sew them rather than rivet if somebody has concerns about scratching the glass on a phone. I usually rotate mine 90 degrees to check messages so that's not an issue with me, the glass is always "out".

I've got some kind of crud myself. Thanks for posting the pattern. I can't wait to see it put together.

I've got some kind of crud myself. Thanks for posting the pattern. I can't wait to see it put together.

I just dyed them. Then I remembered I haven't cut the push holes yet. Meh, as proof of concept they'll do fine as is. I'm letting them dry now, assembly in an hour or two. I'll be using ink stamps on these as I don't think I could operate anything as complicated as a C-clamp right now.

Here's the proof-of-concept pieces. Not finished, not ready for prime time, just put together to test the pattern. (Big pix would have used up my allotment, so I'm posting links.)

The front:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/PanchoZilla/Leather/DSCN4259.jpg

The back:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/PanchoZilla/Leather/DSCN4260.jpg

Inside:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/PanchoZilla/Leather/DSCN4261.jpg

Bottom: (Holes punched to mark push hole slot.)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/PanchoZilla/Leather/DSCN4262.jpg

There's room for a pair of 2" belt slots on the back between the rivets. I use slots rather than loops because people who don't need a belt system can ignore them easily.

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at them when I get home. Photobucket is blocked here at work.

Here's the second edition, with belt slots and push hole added. You'll note I relieved the point where the flaps meet the body. Depending on the thickness of your leather you might want to make that a bit more generous.

post-15444-093164000 1298072080_thumb.jp

Thanks. I was able to open the photobucket pics. That helped. I had the phone upright in my little brain. I like it. Nice pattern.

Thanks. I was able to open the photobucket pics. That helped. I had the phone upright in my little brain. I like it. Nice pattern.

I try to apply the K.I.S.S. principle whenever possible.

And a sewn/laced version. The inside corner relief is about right on this now, you may want to transfer that over to the riveted pattern.

post-15444-047762700 1298226137_thumb.jp

That one looks good too. It would look good laced. Nice job.

That one looks good too. It would look good laced. Nice job.

I had good reactions from the volunteers at the wolf sanctuary, but a few of them worried about the rivets, so I tweaked the pattern for sewing. As I do a lot of tans and browns to go with the theme at the store there, I got a few different hemp lines in "earth tones" and dipped them in "canning wax". I'll be using that for the sewing.

canning wax? hmm.....I never thought of that.

canning wax? hmm.....I never thought of that.

I buy it at Wally World when the canning season starts. I also buy candles from the specialty shops when I see a particular color that I like. With the apothecary jar candle crazy fading you can also pick them up pretty cheap. I put them in a pan of boiling water until they're liquid. The wax is not only colored, it's scented so your piece comes out smelling like a ... Oh, never mind.

Those jars are good for dyes as well, if you don't mind not having a screw-on top.

Good tip. Do you mix the wax and water or just use the boiler water to melt the wax in the jar?

Good tip. Do you mix the wax and water or just use the boiler water to melt the wax in the jar?

I set the jar in the water with the lid off and heat it until the wax melts. You should keep an eye on this as heating too fast may cause the jar to crack. When I dip the hemp I put the lid back on the jar and hold it tight enough to squeeze the excess wax out of the hemp.

Thanks. That makes sense. That's a great tip for anyone that might be watching this thread. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

After getting feedback from buyers I would suggest you narrow the flap so they plug the recharger in without taking the phone out of the case or leaving it open.