Hi everyone,

I just got a couple of beaver tails from a local tannery and was wondering if anyone has experience working with them. Anything I should be careful about??

Moe

post-14483-099780700 1297829453_thumb.jp

I use it all the time. It's easy to work with. As you probably already have seen, in most instances the tail is a bit thicker at the base in comparison to out at the end. So depending on the application, that may cause an issue for you. Here's a sample of a holster I did with beaver tail:

kdeaglebeavertail.jpg

Moe;

What are they charging for tails?

I have a wallet made from beaver tail and I really like it.

The auction house in North Bay was buying them from trappers a few years ago.

I have never tanned one but I skinned a few out.

K-Man, that is an awesome looking holster, I don't know what I'll be doing with these skins, but it should be a lot of fun.

Tree Reaper, it cost me 15.00 for one side. I think that's a good price, but it's the first time I buy one.

Moe

Inlay on a Knife sheath would look great......

Moe: You'll find that the beaver tail is an extremely durable skin. The "pattern" of the tail also gives a nice contrast to smooth leather. It's also very pliable and easy to mold into shape.

Great looking holster. Can anyone direct me to a supplier for beaver tails? Would love to use some of this as a inlay on one of my sheaths.

This guy is advertising them.

http://www.theleatherguy.org/FUR-TAILS-FACES/Beaver-Tails-15447/6629621--1-Veg-Tan-Beaver-Tails/ProductInfo.aspx

Raw tails can be had from a trapper and then tanned.

They can be broken and it wouldn't take much work for inlay leather.

I sold a few to Fur Harvesters Auction House in North Bay, Ontario.

If I'm not mistaken they were offering two bucks a raw tail.

They had a supplier making wallets at the time.

Kevin.

post-19342-057295200 1298605332_thumb.jp

Thanks for the reply. Gotta order me some beaver.

Thanks for the reply. Gotta order me some beaver.

I have worked with Beaver tail quite a bit. I use it mostly for inlays on knife sheath front, but have made a few with full coverage. i bought about 120 tails a while back from a guy in Canada. These were all tanned at a big tannery in British Columbia. I would part with 15 or 20 of them if anyone in interested. Contact information is below in sig line.

Paul

post-4812-017815100 1315501087_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheathmaker

Sent you a message about your tails. And love your sheath!

Great looking holster. Can anyone direct me to a supplier for beaver tails? Would love to use some of this as a inlay on one of my sheaths.

I saw some at Sheridan Leather during the show this summer. Seems like they had them in a couple of different colors too.

Bill

I have worked with Beaver tail quite a bit. I use it mostly for inlays on knife sheath front, but have made a few with full coverage. i bought about 120 tails a while back from a guy in Canada. These were all tanned at a big tannery in British Columbia. I would part with 15 or 20 of them if anyone in interested. Contact information is below in sig line.

Paul

post-4812-017815100 1315501087_thumb.jpg

Paul,

I was surprised to receive the tails you sent me . I am sorry I forgot all about them coming. I will get the funds out to you on monday unless you do PayPal then I can get you payed this weekend. My wife says my memory is getting bad. I now have to agree with her.

They look great. Thanks!

Edited by Johnny B

Paul,

I was surprised to receive the tails you sent me . I am sorry I forgot all about them coming. I will get the funds out to you on monday unless you do PayPal then I can get you payed this weekend. My wife says my memory is getting bad. I now have to agree with her.

They look great. Thanks!

No problem, Johnny. I have the same memory problems.

Paul

I believe everyone suffers from C.R.S. (can't remember :censored2:) at times.

$15 for some tail doesn't sound too bad. There are guys advertising it for a lot more down on the Strip in Las Vegas. :P

No problem, Johnny. I have the same memory problems.

Paul

It is hell getting old. I think after I turned 55 everything started to go down hill from there. At 60 all hell broke lose. I turn 61 in November and I don't want to think about what will stop working then. I am already having to drink prune juice every night just so I can have a pleasant morning.wink.gif

You mentioned that beaver tail is easily molded, but is it stretchy like buckskin? I like the surface texture that it has, and I can see where it could be used for several projects. Are all of the tails split to tan, or can you get one that is complete?

Paul,

They look great. Thanks!

Better check your outgoing mail, Johnny. I still haven't received anything from you. thanks.

Paul

Better check your outgoing mail, Johnny. I still haven't received anything from you. thanks.

Paul

Johnny B., I still haven't received any payments , nor have you answered my private messages. You did acknowledge receiving the beaver tails in this thread. Is there some other problem? Sorry for posting this in open forum, but your lack of response for and extended period leaves me little choice.

Paul