Sign in to follow this  
HanginH

Base Rates For Repairs?

Hey Everybody!

I recently got a saddle in for some repairs that had a fender rip off after a colt got the stirrup stuck on a rail or post or something and I have been debating with myself what I should be charging for the repairs that I made. I had to put a new blevins buckle on, its a cutting saddle so only had half stirrup leathers which got ripped in half so that had to be replaced and then a new latigo strap had to be put on. It doesn't seem like a lot of work but of course when you move as slow as I do it did take me about 2.5 hours from start to finish.

I really don't care to do lots of repair work because it tends to get my bench dirty and I feel that the grime in the leather can't be good for my tools and the edges on them as well. I would love to know if anyone has a base rate they charge for repair work and from the description above maybe even a ball park figure of what I should be charging!

Thanks for the help!

Justin

Justin i don't know how other folks figure things. But say a average side is 20 square foot. Figure the square inches, 2880 square inches for 20 sq. foot. then i divide the price of the side by 2880 and get my cost, then double or triple that to take care of some of the waste. Labor depends on skill level and what folks will pay in your area. Don't sell yourself short though. For a fender i would measure the widest part and how long it is and figure that as my cost of materials. The same for the leathers to. Their is probley a lot better way to do it, but i'm pretty simple and like to keep things simple. Their is a guy that sells a book in the LCSJ telling how to figure prices.

Edited by dirtclod

The prices you charge has a lot to do with what you like to do and what the market will bear in your area. I like repar work as you are able to learn so much from other saddle makers living and dead from the saddles they made. I have some basic prices for repair work in my area, I am higher than some, cheeper than others but I am satisfied with it so that is the most importaint factor. Replace new sheepskin, includes clean and oil with new saddle strings. 250.00, new stirrup leather includes new blevins at 125.00 for both. If I did not like saddle repair maybe my prices would be more to discourage that type of work. What I don't like is zippers, I can do zippers, just don't like to! LOL

Randy

Randy, try mending horse blankets. Zippers will seem like a dream job. Try and price those out. One never gets paid according to the time put in to them. If a blanket is badly ripped I'll often flat rate it out at half of what replacement would cost. Here's one I'm still trying to wrap my head around - a blanket had extensive damage. I recommended she'd be money ahead by replacing it. Her logic was - well, some days it's nice to be able to throw an old blanket on the horse. I think I missed something when I was going to school. (laughing)

Thanks for the info guys.

Have a good one!

HanginH, your not slow, you're careful, precise.

Edited by Saddlebag