flathat4life

First Sheridan Attempt Checkbook Cover

Well here it is haha. After a long time of wanting to do sheridan work i finally got the guts to jump in.This is my first try at sheridan carving and also the first checkbook cover i've made. Their are alot of learning mistakes and probly things that im doing wrong or the hard way just because im kinda self teaching myself here.. but I geuss thats part of learning lol.

Drawing the patern was the hardest for me. It was a real strugle for me to achieve the flow i wanted (or that seemed right) and the right proportion of everything, or at least to my slowy developing eyes haha.. I picked up The Sheridan Style Carving book by Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay and basically followed Bills directions in drawing out a patern. But even with his help from the directions it still took 4 nights to draw.:wacko: Even though i know i'll continue to get better with practice and studying others work, i think drawing my patterns may always be my weeker point. I still want to be as good as i can be though, so i'll keep try'n.

I decided to just bite the bullet when I started this and got the minimal basic set of tools from Barry King. The only thing i didn't use Barrys tools on was the background. Only because the bargrounder he sent is so small i cant even see it to run it well but also because it seems to small propotion wise to everything else.. idk mabe i'm wrong . I hate the look of the cheep mat backgrounders though, think i'll be ordering another larger bargrounder soon.

The Sheridan book was exremely helpful for me. I would recomend any one else starting out in sheridan carving like myself to get it. Its pretty much the only thing i've had to teach my self this stuff, it and the incredible group of leather workers on here that post thier advice and their inspireing work. Thanks so much to the people that make this place what it is and to everybody that helps kids like me out that are just starting. I really appreciate it.

Now that i've rambled on and on lol.. Please look this stuff over and let me know what you think! I am REALLY gratefull for any critics that any one has. please hold nothing back, if you see something say it :yes:

Thanks again to every body on her that i've gained help from,

Jed

Here's pics of the pattern i drew, the checkbook cover stamped and the checkbook cover finished. Sorry for the poor quality pics

post-8303-087256600 1297925405_thumb.jpg

post-8303-040666800 1297925655_thumb.jpg

post-8303-000127500 1297925670_thumb.jpg

post-8303-082184500 1297925758_thumb.jpg

post-8303-002517900 1297926190_thumb.jpg

Edited by flathat4life

Jed,

For your first shot at Sheridan style, I'd say you cut a pretty wide swathe. The flow looks good, leaves are long and flowing, everything looks pretty good. I'm not expert by any means, but you are off to a whale of a start. My first Sheridan style stuff looked more like weeds in a windstorm than nice beautiful flowers.

With that being said, there's 2 things in the pics that caught my eye. In the first pic, in the corners, there are some "double leaves". One leaf goes out of the border, which is fine, but then it never comes back in. What I'm saying is that the one that goes out, has to wrap around the circle just like the rest. I think if you look at the partial leaves, you'll see what I'm getting at.

The other thing I noticed was in the final pic. It looks to me like your antiquing isn't even. Some areas are very light, while in the middle, it's real dark. The finishing process, like the rest, takes practice.

I would also suggest trying to add some decorative cuts on the flower petals, and the leaves.

Other than those minor adjustments, you are off to a flying start.

Good work!

I'd say decorative cuts on the stems. Also for inspiration look at saddles by Don King. Look at the differences between your work. For the antique do some research because it looks very uneven. Take a look at Sheridan Style Carving the book aka "The Bible" it's very helpful. The overall design is good, but you need to do something with your tooling to make it come alive. Also try to make your swivel knife cuts smooth as can be.

Jed,

I agree with everyone. You did a great job figuring your first pattern. Keep up the good work!

Regarding the Barry King bargrounders, you might try a size 30. It is a good medium size.

I enjoyed seeing your work. It is always good to see someone starting out with good tools and good techniques.

Aermotor

Good Start!

Suggestions and observations:

1. Your carving looks as if the leather might have been too wet or your swivel knife a little dull from the pulling observed on the leather surface.

2. Your lines look a little choppy as if you are trying too hard to follow the traced lines of the pattern: make your cuts smooth and fluid and only use the pattern lines as a reference, and lighten your cuts as you come toward the flower center as if you were doing decorative cuts. Cut lines should never be the same depth from start to finish.

3. It helps to stamp your flower centers before you start to carve so you can carve to them.

4. I think the pattern is a little over tooled; I would back off on the pear shader.

5. You should also tapper the bevels to a lighter depth as you finish a line.

Take a close look at the carving of the masters and you will observe the hints I have mentioned here and many more.

Best to you

First off that is a VERY good first try at sheridan style. A couple of things to try on your next project(some of these have been mentioned but bear repeating).

1. when you are tooling a small project like this it is helpfull to apply packing tape to the back of the leather when you cut it out. This will prevent the stretching that you see on your long edges.

2.when tracing out your pattern use a light touch with your stylus. This will allow you to be able to cut in without having to follow the line exactly. Often when running the swivel knife you have a better flow than with a pencil.

3. make your stamping match up with the thickness of the leather you are working with. in this case you have cut and stamped way too deep. Try and use a little more finnese with your swivel knife and with your stamps. make your beveling taper from beginning to the end of your cuts on your stem work. deep as the cut in at the beginning, tapering to nothing at the end.

4. Dont mash your thumbprints in so deep. They should be a single hit using the heel of the stamp, this will make the impression taper out and not be so choppy in the flower. this will help your decorative cut go in smoother as well.

5. Nothing wrong with your layout. Over time you will improve but you are on the right track. Dont be afraid to try something different to make the style your own.

6. try using olive oil for your finish. The best way to apply it is just like the sheridan book says. Be a little more conservative- thinner leather needs less oil. If the color is not dark enough you can always add another coat. This is one of the hardest areas for a beginner to master so keep practicing.

7. Give this checkbook to your mom.she will love it and will keep it forever no matter how good you get or how many times you beg her to throw it away. it is always nice to have examples of your early work to look back at and see where you have improved.

8. Keep at it, You have the desire to do this and it takes desire and persistance more than talent to be good at this trade. You might as well forget about being rich though. There are way to many cool leather tools to buy.

Hope this helps, again nice job but you did ask for the critique.

Barry king tools are great. I have a mixture of his and craftool. I got size 35 bar grounders and they are perfect. I wouldn't want a smaller size. Most of my stuff is about the same size as your pattern also. Try using a vertical lined pear shader or one of barrys center shaders on your flower centers. Just don't accidentally hit your seeds. Other than that great job. I like the deeper thumbprints on that flower. Just my opinion.

My personal opinion is I like how deep your tooling is. It reminds me of the Howard Council style. I dig it!

I also love the deep tooling! It makes it look totally different to the norm.