Saddlebag

Concho Turners

Has anyone got a set of these? How do you like them. Proleptic Inc sells them and I've been hemming and hawing for several years about buying a set. When one does repair there are always conchos to remove yet not wreck them.

Never used one, buy they look easy enough to make.

I've got one. If the concho isn't real stuck they work fine, but if it's REALLY tight, I still have to use something else to get it started. It might just be me, though, I don't feel like I can apply enough pressure to make it work on the really tough ones. Chris

I am with Chris, they don't do much if there is resistance. I use mine after I start the concho or once I have it loosened. They do good on the tedious hand turning there. I got mine in a set, I don't know how much they even sell for. For what they do, I wouldn't pay a lot. One little warning is if you chuck them into a drill, be sure you are centered over the screw. Otherwise they turn pretty wildly and slip off easy. SOme of the conchos I deal with don't have the screw exactly centered and that can mess you up.

I am with Chris, they don't do much if there is resistance. I use mine after I start the concho or once I have it loosened. They do good on the tedious hand turning there. I got mine in a set, I don't know how much they even sell for. For what they do, I wouldn't pay a lot. One little warning is if you chuck them into a drill, be sure you are centered over the screw. Otherwise they turn pretty wildly and slip off easy. SOme of the conchos I deal with don't have the screw exactly centered and that can mess you up.

Here is a cheap and easy way to make a concho turner that works great. An old saddlemaker show me this trick 40 yrs or so ago. Just cut of a piece

of old garden hose about an inch or 1 1/2 in length. Works far better that store bought ones.