UKRay

Leatherwork From The Mary Rose (With Pictures)

I went to see the Mary Rose in Portsmouth recently and took a few cheeky photos of leatherwork recovered from the wreck. Sadly the low lighting, lack of flash and a cheapo camera didn't help the images much, but enough for you to get an idea what leather stuff looked like in Tudor times. I should mention that many of the artefacts recovered were, unusually, the property of ordinary sailors and the ship's craftsmen - not rich people.

Check out the reproduction doublet - not an original but beautiful work all the same. Anyone know who made this?

The leather bottle is poorly stitched. Was this a 'second' or simply an old bottle that was repaired?

Check out the stamping on the scabbard.

Hope you enjoy the history.

Ray

post-6314-038688200 1298203316_thumb.jpg

post-6314-015761700 1298203334_thumb.jpg

post-6314-057662400 1298203353_thumb.jpg

post-6314-063851300 1298203374_thumb.jpg

post-6314-080810200 1298203389_thumb.jpg

post-6314-016698700 1298203415_thumb.jpg

post-6314-008389600 1298203435_thumb.jpg

Cool Filigree Belt - old leather is still great leather !!

Thanks for posting

Dave

Ray thanks for posting the photos. The Mary Rose was a Great find. The Leather

Artifacts that were found was in excellent condition, so it was said.

For thoes that want more information about the Mary Rose there is a Web Site for it.

Mary Rose

Yes this is where i got my insperation for Canteens and Blackjack Mugs.

post-1906-075951800 1298207397_thumb.jpg

hey thanks for sharing your trip with us, hmmm makes you wonder how many of the things we make today will still be around in some form or fashion a couple hundred years from now.

I went to see the Mary Rose in Portsmouth recently and took a few cheeky photos of leatherwork recovered from the wreck. Sadly the low lighting, lack of flash and a cheapo camera didn't help the images much, but enough for you to get an idea what leather stuff looked like in Tudor times. I should mention that many of the artefacts recovered were, unusually, the property of ordinary sailors and the ship's craftsmen - not rich people.

Check out the reproduction doublet - not an original but beautiful work all the same. Anyone know who made this?

The leather bottle is poorly stitched. Was this a 'second' or simply an old bottle that was repaired?

Check out the stamping on the scabbard.

Hope you enjoy the history.

Ray

I plan to go there either this year or next, this to me is real history, the belongings of the ordinary people like us, the cheap crap that normally wouldn't survive I like living history places, where you can see how and why things were done like they were, in the forces there are always people who will do the jobs people hate, or things they have a talent for like sewing on insignia. The bottle looks like a repair to me, someone who was too mean to pay someone else to do it properly, I bet it leaked all the time, but just not enough to bother replacing it

Mike

or the bottle started leaking at sea and the owner had no choice but to TRY to fix it himself....

so many questions

so many unique things

and I am stuck soo far away from seeing them with my own two eyeballs.

sigh

Thank you Ray! I have gotten a chance to go through the books written about the various items found on the Mary Rose but your pictures make it a bit more "real".

From the web site www.maryrose.org:

"Built between 1509 and 1511, she was one of the first ships able to fire a broadside, and was a firm favourite of King Henry VIII.

After a long and successful career, she sank accidentally during an engagement with the French fleet in 1545. Her rediscovery and raising were seminal events in the history of nautical archaeology."