Hi guys, I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but I can't find anything on it. I am a newbe to the letherwork and am struggling to get a decent finish on the leather. What the problem is once I stain with the Tandy eco dyes and it all looks fine, I then apply either the Tandy sheen finish or the Fiebing resolene, using a damp sponge, this then makes the dyed finish go streaky.

I have been using the resolene and the Tandy sheen finish neat straight from the bottle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Regards Clutey.

I wouldn't use a damp sponge, put it on quick and leave it alone.

If you miss something wait till it dries and go back at it.

I'll use dauber or sheep wool.

i use a small fine mist spray bottle or my air brush to apply my finish coats, no streaking or muddy colors that way.

What kind of sponge are you using? You may want to try one of those sponge brushes from a store in the paint section.

I know these type of finishes can streak easy if you keep messing with it once you have applied it. Once you put it on, you don't want to mess with it long as it dries quick.

Thanks for the replies guys, the fine mist spray TG sounds good, I'll have to look around and see where I can get one. Jason I'm using the sponge pads that came with the Tandy starter kit their instruction cd tells you to dampen the sponge slightly, although the sponge does seem a bit on the rough side. I do have some of the small daubers though, could try a practice piece and see how that works out.

Thanks again for all the useful ideas guys Clutey.....

the ones i use are empty deodorizer spray bottles that spray or atomize the sealers into a very fine mist, works great with the water based stuff and clean up is a breeze

the ones i use are empty deodorizer spray bottles that spray or atomize the sealers into a very fine mist, works great with the water based stuff and clean up is a breeze

What kind of deodorizer? Most of that stuff is in an aerosol type can.

I did try one of those small water spray bottles, but that didn't work

the ones i use are from the hospital i work at, just a little push down pump sprayer, i discovered them by accident noticing that they produced a very fine mist like my air brush. lays the finish on so that the ecoflow never gets touched by anything so that it doesnt muddy or lift the colors to another area

The spray bottle definitly sounds good, I will do the rounds of the shops this week and see what I can come up with. Great idea thank again tg.

Clutey.....