Sign in to follow this  
grizzlysaddlery

American Straight Needle Help

What kind of problem ? I don't have one now but had one for several years.

I was sewing some breast collars and ran out of bobbin I wound a new one, put it in and it has not sewn since, I believe it is out of time and can't seem to get it back in time. The bad thing is i had only had the machine for a short time and had not really took the time to see how every thing worked to know that everything is doing the right thing when stitching. I have the book on it but it is pretty vague on setting it up. I was hoping I could find someone that has one and could talk them into video taping hand walking the machine through were I could see the parts moving, and that way I would know for sure what each part needs to be through each stitch. i have a union lock but I really like sewing with the american better.

If you have the manual it is real easy to set the time. If you can scan the page of the manual where i can see it again i can tell you how. But i wonder if you wound the bobbin backwards or have it backwards. Do you have the thread coming out of the shuttle pulled where it needs to be ? Did you look at the needle and make sure it's in straight to where the hook catches the thread ? Is the hook broke off the needle ? Is the needle bent ? All of those things will keep it from sewing. Put a scrap piece in and open the door on the shuttle and turn it over by hand it will turn towards you and see what things look like.

I checked everything and even changed out hooks and awl. It may take me a few days to get back to you cause this happened many months ago, and i just statrted using my union lock for everything, I'll find my book and scan the page and get back to you. Thanks for the help.

Your welcome. I'm not a mechanic by any means but i did fool with a couple for several years. When you open the door where shuttle and bobbin is and turn it by hand is the hook / looper that comes and catches the thread is it catching the thread ? Sometimes they get out of wack and get turned just enough to mess things up.