jasonsmith

Leather Curling Up After It Dries From Dyeing

I dyed some large test pieces with Fiebings Pro Oil Black. And noticed it curled up after it had dried. What are you guys doing to keep the leather from curling up when it dries from dyeing? I was thinking of letting it sit for a few hours, then placing it inbetween two pieces of wood and let it finish drying. Not sure it that would work, but figured I could try it.

I dyed some large test pieces with Fiebings Pro Oil Black. And noticed it curled up after it had dried. What are you guys doing to keep the leather from curling up when it dries from dyeing? I was thinking of letting it sit for a few hours, then placing it inbetween two pieces of wood and let it finish drying. Not sure it that would work, but figured I could try it.

I use a Ziplock full of pennies. (Ever lifted one gallon of pennies?) I put a layer of waxed paper down, the piece, and another lay of waxed paper, then the pennies. The weight presses excess dye out of the leather as well. (Use smaller weights if there's a danger of dye migrating.)

I use a Ziplock full of pennies. (Ever lifted one gallon of pennies?) I put a layer of waxed paper down, the piece, and another lay of waxed paper, then the pennies. The weight presses excess dye out of the leather as well. (Use smaller weights if there's a danger of dye migrating.)

What do you mean by dye migrating?

What do you mean by dye migrating?

Sometimes dye can go from one area to an adjacent area if enough pressure is applied. Rarely happens, but given the complexity of some folks work here I'd rather put that out than let it go unsaid. If you have a doubt use just enough weight to keep it flat until it dries.

Sometimes dye can go from one area to an adjacent area if enough pressure is applied. Rarely happens, but given the complexity of some folks work here I'd rather put that out than let it go unsaid. If you have a doubt use just enough weight to keep it flat until it dries.

I'm going to let it sit for several hours before I put weight on it. Last time I dyed, I think I checked them 4+ hours later. And they were still very flexible from not being fully dried yet. Though, I may could have put too much water and/or dye on them.

I'm going to let it sit for several hours before I put weight on it. Last time I dyed, I think I checked them 4+ hours later. And they were still very flexible from not being fully dried yet. Though, I may could have put too much water and/or dye on them.

A layer or two of paper towels that sticks out on all sides should help wick the liquid away from the work.