Sign in to follow this  
Louro

Sheridan Style ?

Ok, I have been reading the Sheridan style carving book by Bill Gardner. In the book he make reference to undershot and leafliners stamps. Here is my question browsing in the diferents soueces of tamps I don't see either. What do you guys use to in place of these tools?

Lou

Ok, I have been reading the Sheridan style carving book by Bill Gardner. In the book he make reference to undershot and leafliners stamps. Here is my question browsing in the diferents soueces of tamps I don't see either. What do you guys use to in place of these tools?

Lou

Barry King and several other custom tool makers make the undershot bevelers. You can also use a lifter to do the same job, of course Tandy quit making them a couple years ago. The only other sourse that I am aware of is Jeff Mosby, Gray Ghost Grapics.

Barry King and several other custom tool makers make the undershot bevelers. You can also use a lifter to do the same job, of course Tandy quit making them a couple years ago. The only other sourse that I am aware of is Jeff Mosby, Gray Ghost Grapics.

Springfield Leather has Osborne pro petal lifters and they also sell hidecrafter leaf liners, you could pick up both for under 15 dollars.

The only lifting tool that Tandy still makes, correct me if I am wrong, is the B60 Craftool? It doesn't do a great job out of the box, but with a bit of modification it has decent results. Most of the tool makers make their own undershots or lifter tools. I know that Chuck Smith Tools also has lifters hand tools, I own one, so you have to ask around.

I hope this helps.

The only lifting tool that Tandy still makes, correct me if I am wrong, is the B60 Craftool? It doesn't do a great job out of the box, but with a bit of modification it has decent results. Most of the tool makers make their own undershots or lifter tools. I know that Chuck Smith Tools also has lifters hand tools, I own one, so you have to ask around.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I just happen to get some old tools from e-bay and in the lot there was a B60, 892 and 935. the all look similar to the 60. I don't know if they are undershot but they are small bevels. King, what kind of modification you have to do to use get good result with the 60? Rusty I did a serch in sprinfield leather and couldn't find the leaf liner. I found the petal lister. How do you use that petal lifter?

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I just happen to get some old tools from e-bay and in the lot there was a B60, 892 and 935. the all look similar to the 60. I don't know if they are undershot but they are small bevels. King, what kind of modification you have to do to use get good result with the 60? Rusty I did a serch in sprinfield leather and couldn't find the leaf liner. I found the petal lister. How do you use that petal lifter?

Thanks

Hi Louro, If you look on springfield leathers website, look on the front page and it's under bargain roundup #3. I don't know if this link will work but here's the page it's on http://springfieldle...gain-Roundup-3/ . The petal lifter is pretty sharp on the end, I just put it in the area to be lifted and just gently push it into the cut and it lifts up the leather. I've been using a old craftool and didn't have as good of luck with it as I've had with the lifter, but I didn't modify it as King'sX mentioned doing.

Rusty

I just noticed that it appears to be labeled wrong on the site, it says that it is a bar grounder. The number on the leaf liner is PB016 even though it says it's a bar grounder.

Edited by RustyMelton

Rusty thanks a lot. That explaing, why I was unable to find it in the web site. I will order one one and give it a try.

Lou

Tandy makes 3 different ones, one is a hand tool that you have to sharpen the other two look like smooth bevelers. You can also make one out of a nail for next to nothing intead of buying a bk for $25. If you already have one I'd use that instead of spending that money.

Tandy also makes a modeling tool with lifters on each end that can be sharpened and polished to be used like a petal lifter. I believe they run about $12-$15 with black grip handle. As for the modifications, it is hard to explain but I had to play with mind several times with increment adjustments before I got it work out half way decent. finally, I purchased a whole set from Barry King. I learned some very hard lessons along the way in leathercraft and one of them (after wasting a ton of money believe me) that you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

Hello to all, I bought a cheap set of screwdrivers at Dollar General or Dollar Tree or some such store. I used the Dremal tool with a cut off disc and cut them off at an angle that looked good to me. Some grinding, polishing, and buffing and sharpening and I have a set of lifters with handles. Hope this helps Billy P

Hello to all, I bought a cheap set of screwdrivers at Dollar General or Dollar Tree or some such store. I used the Dremal tool with a cut off disc and cut them off at an angle that looked good to me. Some grinding, polishing, and buffing and sharpening and I have a set of lifters with handles. Hope this helps Billy P

Gentleman,

Thanks for the ideas and information.