FHL FERG

What Did He Use To Print This On The Seat?

I have done quite a few seats but I was looking at some stuff from Rich Phillips and it dawned on me it's not tooled! It's Printed!

What techniques is he using to print on the leather to give it this distressed aged look?

hb.jpg

Thanks!

FERG

could it be tattooed on the leather?

looks like a laser print

I'd guess lithography or laser. There are a few folks doing lithography on leather with great success on Etsy and then they use printing inks or thin dyes for the color. For the distressed look, that could simply be done with antique.

I think it could actually be tattooed . I was flippin through a cycle source mag at the grocery store the other day and came across an ad for "electric solos" . it looks cool . lots of fine lines and crazy detail.

Looks like it was Laser Printed. Laser print reverse image and then heat transfer.

It may actually be a graphics pen. I used to do that kind of thing on bracers. This is what I used. The ideal position for using these pens is completely vertical, as opposed to the way many people hold a pen at an angle to draw.

21003-OE2ww.jpg

They are refillable, and use India Ink. You will need to use a spray-on type sealer. Some rub-on/buff-out sealers may smear the ink even after it is dry.

It's a tattoo. He has a blog but can't remember itright now. He does killer work though

http://www.bikersadd...d&productId=106

I am pretty sure that this work is not tattoo. He is calling it that but I'd bet it's some sort of transfer printing. There are various techniques for transferring ink to leather. The coloring techniques surrounding the images serve them well to make the images seem much richer.

I need to get good at this process because being able to print on leather is a good money maker. Combine it with tooling and you have a real winner.

Thanks for the introduction to Rich Phiipps' work.

Edit: Well I am not really sure. :-)

http://richphillipscycles.blogspot.com/

Seems like a pretty cool and creative guy though. Lots of nice work here.

Edited by JohnBarton

For the price he's selling them at I definately don't think it's hand tattooed ie with a tattoo machine it's also too clean and has alot more detail compared to the other leather products I have seen hand tattooed. It's some sort of transfer still very nice though thanks for the heads up on his work.

You know, I forgot about the machine I saw in England. The man who was the owner of the UK Tandy Store has a machine that looked like a Xerox machine that printed directly on leather. I have a piece of that leather and even made a book cover from it. I can't locate the picture. But, if anyone is really interested in obtaining the multi-thousand dollar leather printing machine--I can put you in touch with the man who owns it.

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

You know, I forgot about the machine I saw in England. The man who was the owner of the UK Tandy Store has a machine that looked like a Xerox machine that printed directly on leather. I have a piece of that leather and even made a book cover from it. I can't locate the picture. But, if anyone is really interested in obtaining the multi-thousand dollar leather printing machine--I can put you in touch with the man who owns it.

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Found it! Check out this link for printing on leather:

http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/surface_decoration.asp

This is a laser cutting, it is being done by Woodcraft. The results are kind of iffy in my opinion; but then each to their own.

Dave Theobald

So does anyone really KNOW what the image technique is? Laser seems to be a viable bet?

So does anyone really KNOW what the image technique is? Laser seems to be a viable bet?

i could be wrong, but i don't think it's tattooed in with a machine.

anyone who has used a tattoo machine, or even got a tattoo for that matter, knows that when the needle hits skin(real, pig, or synthetic) ink tends to get all over the area you're working in, and subsequently has to be wiped away.

anyone who has dyed or stained leather knows that when it gets on an area you don't want, it colors the leather, and trying to wipe it away would just increase the problem.

just my 2cents

i could be wrong, but i don't think it's tattooed in with a machine.

anyone who has used a tattoo machine, or even got a tattoo for that matter, knows that when the needle hits skin(real, pig, or synthetic) ink tends to get all over the area you're working in, and subsequently has to be wiped away.

anyone who has dyed or stained leather knows that when it gets on an area you don't want, it colors the leather, and trying to wipe it away would just increase the problem.

just my 2cents

My thoughts exactly. I've been tattooing for 20 years, I have tattoo ink stains on just about every article of clothing I own. Once that type of ink gets on something porous like unfinished leather, it's almost impossible to clean it off. That's why most tattoo chairs are covered in non-porous vinyl, so it can be easily cleaned and sanitized, natural leather is much harder to get clean from exess ink and because the surface is porous, it makes a perfect bacteria trap to promote infections. I don't believe this is tattooed, they are just calling it a 'tattoo'.

If I may... I do beleive it is a laser printer... a woman that does some of mine laser engraving had it in her workshop and I am 100% positive that is it... We tried some stuff with that and the results are as seen on these pictures... the only misadvantage of that kind of printer is that it does not print white colour, just like every ordinary printer actualy, so you need to print on leather that is light coloured as this ones are... but I have heard that printer with white dye is also available... btw. these printers can print on anything, wood, metal, leather and more... we also made a print on a plexy for my shop but we didn't put no protection so it soon was damaged by scratches and so... I can check what that laser printer brand is...

best regards,

Silk

Edited by silkfatblues

It takes a lot of talent to print out or screen print an image onto leather.....wow NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like it was made in China and I wouldn't give 5 bucks for it! And they want 250 for those door stoppers! Give me 250 and see what you get! NOT THAT GARBAGE! And no one else will have the same seat!

Rich Phillips has some ok tooled stuff why they would even bother selling that garbage is beyond me...They are not original pieces and for that walmart approach to motorcycle customising seats I DESPISE!!!! AND CRINGE AT THE THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things like this make my blood boil...If you think this was tattooed you obviously don't have any yourself. (SORRY THATS MY BLOOD PRESSURE RISING THINKING ABOUT THIS) :)

Edited by chancey77

chancey77 I agree totaly, I just wanted to share what I saw... this has nothing to doo with stuff we try to learn here and realy is wallmart aproach but far more expencivo...

so, dont be angry at the mesenger please :) I respect Your work and advices apsolutely!!

best regards,

Silk

I'm with you guys on the whole Walmart approach. Having said that as a guy trying to put income otgether it has crossed my mind to do on some small stuff to keep the cost down yet customize some. For example I had a girl ask about making a slip cover for her Ipad but wanted the school name and color on it but we couldn't get together on the price due to the amount of time it would have taken me. If I would have just printed (transferred it) I would have gotten the sale but I stuck to my guns and ended up not getting any work out of the project.

I'm with you guys on the whole Walmart approach. Having said that as a guy trying to put income otgether it has crossed my mind to do on some small stuff to keep the cost down yet customize some. For example I had a girl ask about making a slip cover for her Ipad but wanted the school name and color on it but we couldn't get together on the price due to the amount of time it would have taken me. If I would have just printed (transferred it) I would have gotten the sale but I stuck to my guns and ended up not getting any work out of the project.

If you come across that problem again, take the artwork to a t-shirt printer and try getting them to screen print the design for you on the leather. They run it through a bake machine so it should stay on the leather for a quite a while.

Personally I do a few jobs that are not what I would normally do as well...

I have a very good client who loves what I do, but has not had the ideas to make something for himself yet, He has a race car team that travels Europe and they hold top records at Nürburgring. So he brings me shoes to burn the tracks and names of drivers and car logos into...kind of strange request, but I think it has been a total of about 12 different pairs at this point...

Next time that problem comes up...Post it up! I am sure one of us will help brain storm with ya so you can make some cash...

I would have said..

Dye the main leather and tape off a stencil of the name that she wanted...take of the tape and make another stencil for that school name and tape it up nice and dye or paint that...like doing custom paint work on a car/motorcycle with scallops or flames...that kind of technique...

Attachment is for a pair of off track shoes...so you see what I mean... Sometimes you just got to put some gas in the tank and feed the kids...we are all whores:)

But please lets not talk about doing a motorcycle seat that way...I would have to puch someone in the Neck! ha ha haha haha.... ha SERIOUSLY! In the NECK!

post-28433-069803500 1329435647_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

But please lets not talk about doing a motorcycle seat that way...I would have to puch someone in the Neck! ha ha haha haha.... ha SERIOUSLY! In the NECK!

And this is why we get along. It's not very often I meet people who think like me :You_Rock_Emoticon:

And this is why we get along. It's not very often I meet people who think like me :You_Rock_Emoticon:

cheers.gif16.gif17.gifcrazy.gifIN THE NECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw. I dont think it is wrong to make such a seat if someone wants it like that, but it is very wrong to present it like something it aint... i dont know if the guy that makes them used "tattoed seats" recklessly as a figure of speach or did he actualy say "hey, I tattoed this for hours and hours man!! it's worth xxx$!!!"... either way there is a market for every product...