FHL FERG

What Did He Use To Print This On The Seat?

I do have a Roland vinyl cutter in the shop. I just tried to do a mask for a logo and things didn't turn out too hot. Here is what I did. Normally I dye with one of my airbrushes but i have them all ready to go for a small job this weekend so I just used a piece of wool. I cut out the vinyl logo stuck it to a scrap of leather ran dye over the whole piece of leather lightly and then removed the vinyl mask a few minutes later. The dye didn't stop at the edge of the vinyl and ended up junk. Would this only work with paint and not dye? I normally just free hand everything I do as the design programs I have and me don't get along. I have ahd the cutter just sitting and this topic got me thinking I might have a use for the dang thing at times.

Maybe I would have had better results with using the airbrush that I'm used to. Using the cutter would also allow me to make patterns quickly as well, maybe I can find a use for it yet.

I think the airbrush would work fine. Sounds like your problem was bleeding and that wouldn't normally happen with the lighter mist.

I do have a Roland vinyl cutter in the shop. I just tried to do a mask for a logo and things didn't turn out too hot. Here is what I did. Normally I dye with one of my airbrushes but i have them all ready to go for a small job this weekend so I just used a piece of wool. I cut out the vinyl logo stuck it to a scrap of leather ran dye over the whole piece of leather lightly and then removed the vinyl mask a few minutes later. The dye didn't stop at the edge of the vinyl and ended up junk. Would this only work with paint and not dye? I normally just free hand everything I do as the design programs I have and me don't get along. I have ahd the cutter just sitting and this topic got me thinking I might have a use for the dang thing at times.

Maybe I would have had better results with using the airbrush that I'm used to. Using the cutter would also allow me to make patterns quickly as well, maybe I can find a use for it yet.

It seems you are putting more effort into doing something that you could have just done right the first time, and made it out of veg tand and done the lettering and would have been done by now.

Maybe that was terrible advise I gave, I should have told you just to stick to your guns and do it right! SORRY...Dye is for sure going to bleed through tape, prob even in an airbrush will bleed, you have to paint it to get crisp lines.

If she can't afford the real deal, as a collage student I am sure she come come up with a way to pay you back...maybe a bake sale,or...bikini car wash....or...something implied I am sure...

Are you back on the seat again?!?!?!??!?!

asoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gif

OMG!

That is like going to Walmart buying some wanna be Converse , then taking permeant marker and writing Converse on them and telling your friends they are real Chucks....

There is always a market for wanna be, look at bike week the last 15 years, or even Sturgis for that matter....OMG WHAT A DISASTER AND I REFUSE TO GO TO EITHER ANYMORE IN THE LAST 10 YRS! Now thanks to T-V any jerk wad who has a friend who has a friend or sits around watching Sons of Anarchy, thinks he is bad a** too....STABBED IN THE NECK! rip_1.gifhere lies one stupid M.Fer...... Please no more about this ¡"¥¢‰¶\{ SEAT!

I maybe more than anyone here hang at more 1% bike clubs because of my band and the work that I do; and I am welcomed at every major club almost world wide, and I am here to tell you...that would be serious grounds for picking up garbage with your teeth and drinking out of a whiskey glass that everyone has spit in!

Now drop it , it may be all right for another application , but seriously...this is the last I want to hear about that seat!

Get the point about it yet?

So back to real leather work...

If you as an artist don't stand up for your self and your work you will being doing crap like this for all her friends! And beating your head into the wall, about loosing your creative outlet! Doing a lot more work to figure out how do i do it without actually doing it....WASTE OF TIME! How many days have you spent now??? Trying to figure it out? It took me 2 days to make a fully carved front and back ipad case...this thread has been going for over a week now...GET IT DONE!

I am stepping off my box now......get back to work! Something involving a swivel knife!;)

gun.gif

Edited by chancey77

It seems you are putting more effort into doing something that you could have just done right the first time, and made it out of veg tand and done the lettering and would have been done by now.

Maybe that was terrible advise I gave, I should have told you just to stick to your guns and do it right! SORRY...

If she can't afford the real deal, as a collage student I am sure she come come up with a way to pay you back...maybe a bake sale,or...bikini car wash....or...something implied I am sure...

Are you back on the seat again?!?!?!??!?!

asoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gifasoapbox.gif

OMG!

That is like going to Walmart buying some wanna be Converse , then taking permeant marker and writing Converse on them and telling your friends they are real Chucks....

There is always a market for wanna be, look at bike week the last 15 years, or even Sturgis for that matter....OMG WHAT A DISASTER AND I REFUSE TO GO TO EITHER ANYMORE IN THE LAST 10 YRS! Now thanks to T-V any jerk wad who has a friend who has a friend or sits around watching Sons of Anarchy, thinks he is bad a** too....STABBED IN THE NECK! rip_1.gifhere lies one stupid M.Fer...... Please no more about this ¡"¥¢‰¶\{ SEAT!

I maybe more than anyone here hang at more 1% bike clubs because of my band and the work that I do; and I am welcomed at every major club almost world wide, and I am here to tell you...that would be serious grounds for picking up garbage with your teeth and drinking out of a whiskey glass that everyone has spit in!

Now drop it , it may be all right for another application , but seriously...this is the last I want to hear about that seat!

Get the point about it yet?

So back to real leather work...

If you as an artist don't stand up for your self and your work you will being doing crap like this for all her friends! And beating your head into the wall, about loosing your creative outlet! Doing a lot more work to figure out how do i do it without actually doing it....WASTE OF TIME!

I am stepping off my box now......get back to work!

gun.gif

\

Priceless bro. I hear ya I always focus on the higher end of things. some of the things that seem to fall in my lap however are school age stuff and here is how this work seems to go. You better like the price you do the first one for as they all will of course want the same price. Here is the positive. I made a belt for a young lady in high school and had orders for belts of the same style that same week that ened up being I think over 30 total. Kind of a volume pay the bills type of thing.

I rarely take short cuts like we had talked about. All my pipes, bars, tanks and fenders all have been built by hand and I mean really by hand (my Henrob torch, hammers, bags and sweat is about it). Just thought when you talked about masking out a design it was something you had done before and had it work out for you.

I do agree 100% on the tv stuff. I'm sure we will have a show about leatherworking at some point and everyone and their brother will be doing it then like all the tat shows they have now and how it is hurting that industry. That is one of the things that got me out of doing custom parts for bikes, everyone thought they could do it cheaper and cheaper they did but not better.

\

Priceless bro. I hear ya I always focus on the higher end of things. some of the things that seem to fall in my lap however are school age stuff and here is how this work seems to go. You better like the price you do the first one for as they all will of course want the same price. Here is the positive. I made a belt for a young lady in high school and had orders for belts of the same style that same week that ened up being I think over 30 total. Kind of a volume pay the bills type of thing.

I rarely take short cuts like we had talked about. All my pipes, bars, tanks and fenders all have been built by hand and I mean really by hand (my Henrob torch, hammers, bags and sweat is about it). Just thought when you talked about masking out a design it was something you had done before and had it work out for you.

I do agree 100% on the tv stuff. I'm sure we will have a show about leatherworking at some point and everyone and their brother will be doing it then like all the tat shows they have now and how it is hurting that industry. That is one of the things that got me out of doing custom parts for bikes, everyone thought they could do it cheaper and cheaper they did but not better.

Like I said in an earlier post we are all whores, and I do my fair share, but there is a point when you have enough work that you can say no.

It takes years to get to that point, and I struggle through winter like everyone else, but in the end, I do have the option to say no it has to be done this way or take it somewhere else.

All my seat pans are done by hand, so I know about fabrication and real deal steel!

I don't watch tv, I live the life!

Kuudos to you! And your work!

post-28433-026975300 1329534162_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

I don't watch tv, I live the life!

There's TV shows about the life??? Maybe that's why that guy on the sportster thought we were friends as I smoked him.

Seriously though, I get real tired of people in that SOA crap walking up and calling me Bro or telling me how much I look like Opie.

Now, time to send the thread to the facebook father and let him handle it the way he handled the laptop.....

:deadsubject::smashcomp:

There's TV shows about the life??? Maybe that's why that guy on the sportster thought we were friends as I smoked him.

Seriously though, I get real tired of people in that SOA crap walking up and calling me Bro or telling me how much I look like Opie.

Now, time to send the thread to the facebook father and let him handle it the way he handled the laptop.....

:deadsubject::smashcomp:

And then I smoked him....YEP! Nice girls bike! B'R-A

When I go to biker bars and there is a bunch of sportsters parked outside and I don't see any chics, I keep riding! And find a real biker bar to squat at!

When I go to biker bars and there is a bunch of sportsters parked outside and I don't see any chics, I keep riding! And find a real biker bar to squat at!

I have nothing against sportsters. They are fast and can be cool if done right (and as long as they're an Ironhead). I have problems with the little idiot who saved up enough money to buy the cheapest bike they had at the dealership just so he could be cool.

I have nothing against sportsters. They are fast and can be cool if done right (and as long as they're an Ironhead). I have problems with the little idiot who saved up enough money to buy the cheapest bike they had at the dealership just so he could be cool.

deadsubject.gif

FACT

The upside of the guy who just went down and bought a sporty is then he comes and spends a ton making it the bike it should be.:jawdropper:

Speaking of :deadsubject:....this thread hasn't been going on for a week.

Look at the first post. It's been going on for almost a YEAR.

Now, step away from the computer and get back to the real world.

And my opinion about the whole thing is this: Laser etching/printing on leather has it's place. There's a lot that can be done with it, especially if you have a high volume or an intricate design. It's especially useful for brand logos on tags or conchos. For the most part, though, it should be recognized as just another tool in the tool box. There's nothing to say that the method can't be used for personalized designs, as it can quickly and effectively create "just what the customer wants". There's still the skill needed to build the seat (the physical part). If it isn't your cup of tea, then don't do it. For those who've found the market and are successfully selling to it...wish them luck and congratulations.

Just don't call it something it isn't.

Frankly I'm just glad to see a thread get some motion to it here. Most lay down after 4 or 5 posts but in the interest of world peace, saving the whales and little baby ducks we can move on. :grouphug5vj5:

some of this posts tell me that I should not have told you guys how that print can be done...

heh, I'm so sory, maybe next time I'll just look the other way when someone asks how to...

maybe I was wrong, it realy is a tatto and 200$ is actualy best buy... LOL

just kidding...

cheers,

Silk

ranting2.gifbrainbleach.gifsmashcomp.gifcensored2.gifcensored2.gifcensored2.gifcensored2.gifcensored2.gifHolysheep.gifpoofan.gifbike.gifnono.gifnono.gifnono.gifcensored2.gifcensored2.gifcensored2.gifranting2.gifasoapbox.gifranting2.gif and censored2.gif

haha, Sportsters aran't that bad!!!!

There are as many poseurs on big twins as there are on sportsters, we all know this!

haha, Sportsters aran't that bad!!!!

There are as many poseurs on big twins as there are on sportsters, we all know this!

Yeah, that's a given. But, I don't think either one of us were equating Sportster's with Ironhead's!! I'm keeping my eye out for something around a '73 right now to rebuild with/for my daughter (because they're shorter and cheaper - nothing to do with "girls bike" mentality). Some of my closest friends ride some really cool ironhead chops.

Now, can we re-bury this thread?? :rip_1:

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Yeah, that's a given. But, I don't think either one of us were equating Sportster's with Ironhead's!! I'm keeping my eye out for something around a '73 right now to rebuild with/for my daughter (because they're shorter and cheaper - nothing to do with "girls bike" mentality). Some of my closest friends ride some really cool ironhead chops.

Now, can we re-bury this thread?? :rip_1:

Actually, Im on an evo at the moment with buell heads, cams, etc and it flys. My buddies ironhead can't touch it. Got a shovel from a friend on hold promised to me, looking forward that aswell.

I just kinda realized I've never posted on this site before, just browse here and there at times. Sure bury the thread, I just had the urge to comment.

I just kinda realized I've never posted on this site before, just browse here and there at times. Sure bury the thread, I just had the urge to comment.

it's not problem man. Come around and get involved more often. I don't know where you're at in your work, but participation has made me a lot better at my stuff. Hopefully I'll be getting some bags out the door soon.

it's not problem man. Come around and get involved more often. I don't know where you're at in your work, but participation has made me a lot better at my stuff. Hopefully I'll be getting some bags out the door soon.

Messing with it on and off for a couple of years. It has always depended what else I had to do. Now being unemployed I've been getting the "bug" so to speak since Im at home all day, but watching the baby kinda keeps you inside out of the shop and on the computer more than I care too! It's always a lose - lose situation! Got a bag I did abougt two years ago, I may put up.

Quite a few members of 81 rode Sportsters back in the day, I doubt people would've told them they where on a girl's bike. They way I look at it is if someone picks up an XL,for whatever reason, at least they're riding. Their attitude could change later.

Edited by bustedlifter

What techniques is he using to print on the leather to give it this distressed aged look?

Hi Ferg

That's a pretty cool looking seat. I don't know how he's done the printing but I think he's getting the specked look by flicking on dye from a tooth brush. Water color artists use this technique a lot.

It looks really cool!

WOW, I hadn't looked at this post in quite a while. It's taken on a life of it's own. Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the matter.

And for what it's worth, I didn't want to use the technique on my seats. I have something else in mind that Ithink this would be on point for. I too agree with most of the rants and that a seat should be hand tooled, unique, and one of a kind; just like the person that made it and just like the person riding on it.

Quite a few members of 81 rode Sportsters back in the day, I doubt people would've told them they where on a girl's bike. They way I look at it is if someone picks up an XL,for whatever reason, at least they're riding. Their attitude could change later.

WHATEVER.... .now if you go buy a normal pedal bike would you buy one that was to small for you? Would you buy a kids bike???? Would you buy a girls bike??? THE ANSWER SHOULD ALWAYS BE NO!