The Steam Punk thing seems to be catching on, which makes me wonder if anybody is doing anything with that niche market?

I have seen several posts on Steam Punk, so I did a quick search on "Steam Punk" using the search function and got 13 results. You may want to try the search function.

BillB

Can't remember his name, but one of the forum members does a lot of steam punk items. Do a forum search, it should pull his work up.

Tom BAnwell is one

don't know how many others

Mr Banwell has a blog too

Thanks for the info, folks. I'm green in that theme, so clues are nice. Google shows some interesting concepts.

1003063_1011320123MR_A_400.jpg

Steampunk_leather_Shako_hat_3_by_AmbassadorMann.jpg

That one looks like the love child of the Aristocrat Top Hat and the Visor. :plot:

3762933811_efeb6e8d82.jpg

Thanks Suze,

Tom Banwell is the guy I was thinking of. I knew it had a B in the last name. He has some nice stuff on his site. Haven't seen too many Steamers in Las Vegas yet, but there is a Steam Punk Meetup group in the area.

Thanks Suze,

Tom Banwell is the guy I was thinking of. I knew it had a B in the last name. He has some nice stuff on his site. Haven't seen too many Steamers in Las Vegas yet, but there is a Steam Punk Meetup group in the area.

I've toyed with the idea but fortunately/unfortunately I've been too busy with motorcycle leathers to give it a spin. If you're looking for some music to inspire Steampunk images check out The Cog is Dead. One of my favorites in the genre.

http://old.thesixtyone.com/thecogisdead/

I have made a few things in the genre...and I simply Love Toms stuff too :-)

This is my best try at it I think:

post-5624-063553800 1299484640_thumb.jpg

Thanks Suze,

Do we have a URL for his blog, please?

@Tina, that's pretty cool. Where did you get the hardware, if I may ask?

Could someone explain steam punk to me in simple terms? I googled it and from what I gather its a bunch of people who dress in old victorian style clothing mixed with modern/futuristic technology?

Could someone explain steam punk to me in simple terms? I googled it and from what I gather its a bunch of people who dress in old victorian style clothing mixed with modern/futuristic technology?

Short answer: It's an excuse for grownups to play dress up. The concept, as I understand it, it that steam is the prime motive force, not electricity, in our world today.

Steampunk is neo-victorian science fiction. It is what the world would be like today if the industrial revolution had never happened and steam continued to be the power source of the world. The cuffs I make are steampunk inspired. I have several albums of pictures from conventions with steampunk themes on my facebook fan page (search Terry Stewart Photography). For those in the Oklahoma area, there will be a convention in Oklahoma City 15-17 Apr. Oklahoma Steampunk Exposition. I will be there.

And yes, it is an excuse for us adults to dress up. It is a lot of fun too.

And yes, it is an excuse for us adults to dress up. It is a lot of fun too.

Where would we be if folks didn't like to cowboy up?

Short answer: It's an excuse for grownups to play dress up.

That's actually only one aspect of it. There is also the Maker/Builder side as well. There are a good deal of folks with amazing imaginations and creative shop skills that put copper, brass and aluminum and wood into projects most folks wouldn't even think of.

A cool place to check out Maker stuff is: http://steampunkworkshop.com/ taking modern items and either making them actually run on steam or at least look like they are part of that era through modification. Some fun stuff...

That's actually only one aspect of it. There is also the Maker/Builder side as well. There are a good deal of folks with amazing imaginations and creative shop skills that put copper, brass and aluminum and wood into projects most folks wouldn't even think of.

A cool place to check out Maker stuff is: http://steampunkworkshop.com/ taking modern items and either making them actually run on steam or at least look like they are part of that era through modification. Some fun stuff...

Yeah, that would be the long answer. I have friends who run a steam launch on the Lake of the Ozarks. They plan to restore it to "African Queen" status.

Do we have a URL for his blog, please?

@Tina, that's pretty cool. Where did you get the hardware, if I may ask?

If I remeber right, (it is a while back when I still lived in the US) I got them from OTB. They also have a website for private people called Elf-something...Someone please help me out here :helpsmilie:

Edited by Tina

Tandy sells that clasp, and I believe I have seen it at Hobby Lobby as well.

Thanks! I'll have to force myself to go back to Hobby Lobby. *smotes forehead with back of hand*

Yep, Victorian era meets modern day. Jules Verne type stuff. Instead of electricity , clockwork mechanisms power automatons , and airships rule the sky. I can dig it being that I am a tool maker, I love mechanical stuff of all kinds.

Radar67, the industrial revolution was started with steam power. Steam power allowed big industry to develop. Steampunk would be if electronics never happened, as everything is mechanically based.

Here is a steampunk inspired keyboard pic I found awhile back.

post-15912-049885200 1299552597_thumb.jp

A friend of mine told me he makes and sells a lot of steampunk stuff. His website is http://www.magnolialeatherworks.com , though it doesn't look like he has much on his site at the moment.

If I remeber right, (it is a while back when I still lived in the US) I got them from OTB. They also have a website for private people called Elf-something...Someone please help me out here :helpsmilie:

http://www.hardwareelf.com

Another cool shop for doodads to add to Steampunk items is: http://www.stanleylondon.com

Compasses, sextants, boatswain whistles, mini-telescopes, etc.

One thing that I thought was kind of neat was their Stainless Steel collapsible drinking cups in the pocket watch case.

Not cheap but kind of cool nonetheless.

dalveycup1th.jpgdalveycup2th.jpg

Edited by Spinner

I must say all though this isn't my cup of tea, it seems like a cool and interesting sub culture.