Tooled pancake for a S&W M&P Full-size. This was my first attempt with this gun - muzzle should have been a little longer, and the tooling pattern feels a little jumbled, but I'm otherwise happy with the way this one came out.

1209642762_ZaN4m-L.jpg

I didn't notice until I'd already shipped out the holster, but looks like I missed a little wax along the sight channel. Oops!

1209640638_RNnki-L.jpg

Muy bueno. :specool:

Beautiful! !!! Did you airbrush the dye on? , it looks to good duabed or applied with a rag,

Thanks fellas - yes, the dye is airbrushed on. I might try a rag on my next belt, though I'm a little worried I'll waste a lot more dye.

Awesome work. Do you use a press on your holsters? Wondering how you keep the definition when forming the tooled holsters.

Edited by BBAYS

Thanks! I use a vacuum press for initial forming, then use my thumb to manipulate the tooled area a bit. The rest is all boned with a bone folder.

Very nice indeed, I've been playing with tooled holsters. I see I have a lot to learn.

Tooled pancake for a S&W M&P Full-size. This was my first attempt with this gun - muzzle should have been a little longer, and the tooling pattern feels a little jumbled, but I'm otherwise happy with the way this one came out.

I didn't notice until I'd already shipped out the holster, but looks like I missed a little wax along the sight channel. Oops!

I don't think your carving looks jumbled just a little too large for the area given it. Nice work.

ferg

'Simply gorgeous! I usually look at other holsters and think, "How can I make one better than that?". Eric, when I look at your holsters, I think, "I WANT one of those!"

Great looking holster...real piece of art!

1209642762_ZaN4m-L.jpg

1209640638_RNnki-L.jpg

Absolutely stunning! That's one of the most beautiful holsters I've seen, bar none. VERY well done!

Any chance you could tell us (or me) how you are finishing your holsters? What products are you using to get that beautiful finish? Looks awesome...

Thanks...

Mac

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I really struggled with a tooling pattern for this one. It's funny, my 8-5 has me doing marketing and advertising graphics and publications, 3D renderings and photoshopped perspective renderings - but coming up with a simple pattern to tool a holster gives me the shivers! Maybe one of these days I'll break down and buy some good videos that demonstrate tooling. The YouTube videos are helpful, but the quality on most isn't high enough to really see what's going on. I just bought the Sheridan floral pattern design book that Tandy sells which I think will help quite a bit.

If anyone can recommend a good tooling video, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I really struggled with a tooling pattern for this one. It's funny, my 8-5 has me doing marketing and advertising graphics and publications, 3D renderings and photoshopped perspective renderings - but coming up with a simple pattern to tool a holster gives me the shivers! Maybe one of these days I'll break down and buy some good videos that demonstrate tooling. The YouTube videos are helpful, but the quality on most isn't high enough to really see what's going on. I just bought the Sheridan floral pattern design book that Tandy sells which I think will help quite a bit.

If anyone can recommend a good tooling video, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Jeremiah Watt's got a set of DVD's that I highly recommend. You can find them here http://www.ranch2arena.com/videoeng.html

Thank you Bruce - that sounds like exactly what I need!

WOW!!! Now that is nice! Beautiful work!!

'Simply gorgeous! I usually look at other holsters and think, "How can I make one better than that?". Eric, when I look at your holsters, I think, "I WANT one of those!"

My thoughts exactly.

Particle, nice work... keep inspiring us and raising the bar.

Also ADDITIONAL KUDOS, I know how hard it is to find those precious hours to put into this stuff, especially when you are running the 8-5 daily grind. For me it is a good place to wind down and think about something besides the daily chaos we all deal with. Again, NICE work.

Edited because I can't spell!:head_hurts_kr:

Edited by Huntbuck

Beautiful as usual!

You are always your worst critic particle;)