Sign in to follow this  
Annie B

Grant's Side Button Instuctions

Bruce Grant's "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding", page 133 for the side button. I am finding the instructions pretty vague. On figure 6 it shows the UOUO pattern. In figure 7 it goes on to start the second pass. Step 7 would apparently be an UOU and then follow to the right of the standing end. I can get through the second pass, but need to make a third pass. When finishing the second pass, will someone please explain figure 13 further? If I make a 3rd pass, how do I finish off step 13 and do I then follow my second string?

My second question is splitting rawhide for braiding strings. I am cutting them 3/32", but is there a standard thickness for knots and buttons? I've always just done it by feel, but would like to be more consistent.

Thank you. I have learned a lot from the tutorials and topics.

Ann

i think i read somewhere that there is a missing drawing in that knot....i will look thru my material and see if i can find it. the sidebutton is a version of the headhunter knot so if this is the look you are going for on your sidebutton you could just try the 2pass or 3 pass headhunter on page 410 -413...dont know if that will work for you but just a thought

Thanks. I think the headhunter knot will do just fine, plus it shows the third pass. ann

I don't know about the knot, but my strings usually get thinned down to about 1.5/32 for knot strings. A little thinner if the knots are going to be smaller like on reins or bit hobbles.

Thank you, the knots and buttons will be for reins.

I don't know about the knot, but my strings usually get thinned down to about 1.5/32 for knot strings. A little thinner if the knots are going to be smaller like on reins or bit hobbles.