Sign in to follow this  
bison

Latest Books

I just finished these two. The first is a small executive portfolio, designed to hold s 5x7 notebook. I used the European tanned leather from Tandy for it. It tools very nicely! After oiling, I applied several thin coats of Acrylic Resolene as resist, then antiqued it with Feibings mahogany antique paste. Finished with two more coats of A-R, then two coats of Tan-Kote. It's sewn with natural colored thread. The second is a sketchbook/journal, made with that really torn up leather I got on sale from Tandy. I tooled in a Celtic knot and then dyed the background. Finished with four coats of Tan-Kote. Hand sewed the paper, Canson 80 pound art paper using a long stitch. It measures 7.5x10 and holds 240 sheets of 6x9 paper.

Any critiques are welcome.

Dave

post-14241-056457300 1300655936_thumb.jp

post-14241-073301500 1300655950_thumb.jp

post-14241-008940700 1300655979_thumb.jp

post-14241-017727800 1300655994_thumb.jp

I just finished these two. The first is a small executive portfolio, designed to hold s 5x7 notebook. I used the European tanned leather from Tandy for it. It tools very nicely! After oiling, I applied several thin coats of Acrylic Resolene as resist, then antiqued it with Feibings mahogany antique paste. Finished with two more coats of A-R, then two coats of Tan-Kote. It's sewn with natural colored thread. The second is a sketchbook/journal, made with that really torn up leather I got on sale from Tandy. I tooled in a Celtic knot and then dyed the background. Finished with four coats of Tan-Kote. Hand sewed the paper, Canson 80 pound art paper using a long stitch. It measures 7.5x10 and holds 240 sheets of 6x9 paper.

Any critiques are welcome.

Dave

I like the color ont he portfolio. subdued just enough. I still find it interesting the idea to buy that beat up old leather and make it useful. Hey, I just notice, so do you skive the flap part of the sketchbook journal? it looks thinner.

Bob

I don't skive it. That's the end of the hide where it gets thin and pretty hard. Perfect for what I was doing with it. Thanks for the comments, Bob.

Hi,

I love the sketchbook; one small pattern, nice colors, and the rough flap! I think I'll steal your idea!

Steal away, my friend!:)

Hi,

I love the sketchbook; one small pattern, nice colors, and the rough flap! I think I'll steal your idea!