dteeft

How Do I Make Braided Show Dog Leads

I have been making leather leads, harnesses and collars for working dogs for years now but I have lately started to get a little fancier. I have been asked for braided dogshow leqads and very fine leather work. I do make high quality leads now but it is all flat leather items. I would like to start making braided leads. Most will be 24 in, 30 in, 36 in amd 6ft leads. Can someone help me find a tutorial somewhere that shows me how to start this stuff. From what I have seen, it is pretty detailed and I need a simple method I can put out a few of these things. Once I get used to it, I can do more complicated braid.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

Here's one I know of. Hope it helps.

Myriam's leash tut

Hi Doug,

Here's one I know of. Hope it helps.

Myriam's leash tut

Thanks, Maybe I should look at typing help ;>)

most show leashes are a simple 4 strand braid.....we have braided thousands of show leads and here are some tips

learn to cut your own lace...handcut lace is far superior to commercial made lace....for the colors beyond just the basic hide colors i learned to dye my own

always use a core except for leads made specifically for toy breeds...i wrote all my measurements down so that i could set up any size lead with little variation because the cores were always tied the same length

i never used beads because they were just not popular when i was selling most of my leads.

post-5858-030339400 1300761145_thumb.jpg

most show leashes are a simple 4 strand braid.....we have braided thousands of show leads and here are some tips

learn to cut your own lace...handcut lace is far superior to commercial made lace....for the colors beyond just the basic hide colors i learned to dye my own

always use a core except for leads made specifically for toy breeds...i wrote all my measurements down so that i could set up any size lead with little variation because the cores were always tied the same length

i never used beads because they were just not popular when i was selling most of my leads.

What type and weight leather do you use? I have no problem cutting my own lace but what is the most common type used?

oh...sorry i guess that would be nice to know....kangaroo...if you search online you will find it is mostly the only kind used....i buy only drum stuffed roo meant for whip making its pretty much all the same weight... but it also has to be split and beveled...although you can use it without splitting but if you do that it really has to be beveled...but i made alot of leads using lace i split but didnt bevel...

I know this a old post i hope i get a response but how do u form the handle braided in and keep in strong

The handle part is back braided into the leash part of the dog leash. Usually it is back braided about 1 to 1.5 inches into the leash and then covered with a knot. Most of us have our own methods of doing this and our own measurements in which we use. But I would suppose that most will back braid about 1 to 1.5 inches into the leash. But I can only speak for myself though and this is what I do.

Gail Hought's books are excellent sources for round braiding kangaroo. I use 1/8" wide lace for all of my leads and collars, 3/32" wide for braided buttons. Like Brian, I back braid about 1.5"...to attach the snap and to form the handle or thumb loop.

Shannon

Tutorial page like seems to be not working anymore?

Maybe this is the problem, " Posted March 22, 2011 "

Bert.

not the for the look.  the core is for strength, and to lessen the stretch on the leather.