Sign in to follow this  
rmr

Rigging Gauge

Im attempting my first saddle - and have been reading the stohlman books. They really stress the use of a rigging gauge as described in the book. Is that commonly used today by saddlemakers?? I havnt seen anything on the forum written about it ( it might be I dont know how to do a search on old topics) - and before I go and spend a lot of time making one to their specs I just want to be sure the rigging gauge is still being recommended

Thanks

RMR

Im attempting my first saddle - and have been reading the stohlman books. They really stress the use of a rigging gauge as described in the book. Is that commonly used today by saddlemakers?? I havnt seen anything on the forum written about it ( it might be I dont know how to do a search on old topics) - and before I go and spend a lot of time making one to their specs I just want to be sure the rigging gauge is still being recommended

Thanks

RMR

I don't know of any professional saddle makers that mess with any thing like that.( but maybe I am out of the loop :) . Al stolman told me he only made it because Anne had a tough time getting riggings even. Even the gauge is only as accurate as the tree ....which in a lot of case I would question.

Andy.

Andy

Thanks for the reply.

So do most professional saddlemakers just use rulers and triple measure things from several differrent referrence points on the tree to get the riggings symetrical?

RmR

rmr,

Here is an old thread where some pretty good makers discuss how they make sure they have the riggings in straight. I know it starts off talking about how to determine where to set the riggings, but besides all that good information, it also has information on your question if you read the whole thread. Enjoy!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1719

Hey rmr!

The current (Mar/Apr)issue of Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal has an article by Pete Gorrell on how he sets a flat plate rigging. That might help to answer some of your questions.

Mike