Sign in to follow this  
salvi

2Nd. Proyect

Here you are my first and second project on leathercrafting. The first one is a billfold and the second when finished (I'm waiting for the oils, dyes and lacker), folded and stitched (also waiting for a sewing awl and thread) it is supossed to be a little purse, both from craftaids. I'm working with a bunch of Craftools I bought on Ebay but I have just received a set from Barry King that is perfect but I miss a Thumbprint for shading better the flower petals that has been made with a Pear Shader.

On the second project I had a big problem with all that cutted leaves because I didn't know wich one tool to use in order to get the proper effect so I decided to work with the corner of a Veiner so the final result has not been as homogeneus that I wanted to be.

I started tooling just one week ago and as I live in Spain my only reference has been a DVD from Chan Geer on Sheridan Style that is reasonably different from working with flowers like roses so I need to know if I'm doing well also in the right way.

I am very motivated and enthusiastic with this wonderful art so that's the reason I'm requesting for a critic judgement, opinion and advise to improve my technique.

Many thanks

post-19800-062914300 1301035131_thumb.jp

post-19800-000578300 1301035159_thumb.jp

for first and second [rojects you are off to a very good start. The main thing i saw would be when walking the tool try to be more consistant with space and pressure from the maul so you will get fewer tooling marks as you go. THis iwll come with practice but you are off to a very fine start. Keep up the work and post pictures.

tlong

Think Positive Be Positive

Here you are my first and second project on leathercrafting. The first one is a billfold and the second when finished (I'm waiting for the oils, dyes and lacker), folded and stitched (also waiting for a sewing awl and thread) it is supossed to be a little purse, both from craftaids. I'm working with a bunch of Craftools I bought on Ebay but I have just received a set from Barry King that is perfect but I miss a Thumbprint for shading better the flower petals that has been made with a Pear Shader.

On the second project I had a big problem with all that cutted leaves because I didn't know wich one tool to use in order to get the proper effect so I decided to work with the corner of a Veiner so the final result has not been as homogeneus that I wanted to be.

I started tooling just one week ago and as I live in Spain my only reference has been a DVD from Chan Geer on Sheridan Style that is reasonably different from working with flowers like roses so I need to know if I'm doing well also in the right way.

I am very motivated and enthusiastic with this wonderful art so that's the reason I'm requesting for a critic judgement, opinion and advise to improve my technique.

Many thanks

Nice job on these. The only thing I would do is get some modeling spoons to smooth out your beveling.

Many thanks

I appreciate very much your advice and as a result of that is the next picture. Two months and a half later I think I am in the way of improving my tooling technique... but it is difficult... practice will make perfect.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

The size of this project is A4, the left side flowers have been tooled according to Spanish Style while the other ones on the right have been pretended to be Sheridan... The finish consisted of Neatstfoot Oil, Eco-Flo Satin Sheene (not good for this purpose, it becomes sticky with the paste), Fiebings antique finish paste Sheridan and finally Fiebings Bag Kote.

post-19800-063641800 1307629900_thumb.jp

Edited by salvi

There is no doubt that you are motivated. Very noticable mprovement from the first set of pics to the third pic. However, there are many things that still need improvement. I strongly suggest that you get a copy of Al Stohlman's book; "Craftool Tech Tips" which is on sale right now at Tandy for $7.49 plus shipping. True it is only 22 pages, but if you learned to apply all the tips contained in that book, your work would improve immeasurably. Chan Greer is a fine artist, but if you want to learn to do fine leatherwork, go to the "master" - AL STOHLMAN. I can guarantee you that Chan himself learned a great deal from him.

Edited by WyomingSlick