MikeDB

Making a Leather Bottle

That is awsum thank you for doing it. did you keep up with the amount of time it took to make one Bottell.?

I've had great success making and selling these. I sold a dozen last year and I just sold another eight. I think I am getting pretty good at it.

post-8098-017327100 1297172587_thumb.jpg

A BEAUTIFUL flask, I used to make weed pot similar to this, and a friend used to macrame (knotting string) ropes for them, The method I used was different, I carved half of the bottle shape out of wood, and mounted it on a stout board, I also cut out a piece of ply the same outline as the wooden forme, but 3mm clear all round, I then would staple a piece of soaking wet leather to it, and clamped the leather over the former, after a couple of days in the press, the shape was fixed, I would glue both halves together and hand stitch, I don't think I managed to make one as nice as yours though!

This is awesome! I can't wait to try it! I think I will use cheese makers wax to coat it with, though, it stays flexible and doesn't crack.

Mike, how do i get to the pictures on the constuction where have they been moved to..

Regards, Big Steve.

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I will ask anyway.

I am planning to try making one of these bottles for myself, however, one of my friends asked me if it is safe to actually drink from this bottle? How is it in terms of hygiene? Bacteria and stuff? Food safety is a big issue so if somebody could tell me please if such a bottle would be safe to use for drinking I would appreciate it please.

Thank you!

Era

Well both beeswax and pine pitch are food safe. Cleaning and or sterilization might be difficult if you put anything more than water in it. I personal have not made one yet but am working on one now.

Great thread, awesome bottles, will be making one this weekend I d obelieve...I wonder if using Canuba wax and bees wax mix would do? Both food safe and flex/tacky enough? I dunno me, anyone have thoughts on sealer?

I've posted this on 'Show Off'. Hope it's okay to repeat it here. It's a flacket from the Mary Rose made with wooden formers. It's flatter on the back to lie comfortably against the body.

post-9677-0-09018800-1423180998_thumb.jp

post-9677-0-62879400-1423181018_thumb.jp

post-9677-0-92620800-1423182289_thumb.jp

Edited by Brushpopper

59 minutes ago, Stewart18 said:

What happened to the pictures

Looks like the OP moved them or changed access permissions.  Looks like they were posted on a photo sharing site instead of on this site.

Tom

Bring back the photos please...