does anybody have a good "wood grian" pattern they would like to share?

thank you

chris

Sure,

Just make the plank dividing lines deep and straight and the grain lines somewhat broken and wiggly. Very easy pattern and very effective. I use it quite a bit. Oh, the nails are just made with a stylus or any kinda pointy item. Hope this helps.

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

img004.jpg

img018.jpg

img043.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Little Jon loved woodgrain because you could quickly fill in a large area. He used a swivel knife for the cuts. Knotholes and nails are only limited by your imagination. He made this one for me the Christmas before we married, and joked that he would add another letter to my initials.

Johanna

rose.jpg

post-5-1211462128_thumb.jpg

I've been know to do a little woodgrain stuff now an then.

This is from a while back.

pegleg.jpg

pegleg2.jpg

This was a cool little afternoon project. My sisters friends were calling her pegleg because of her walking cast so i decided to

help the nickname stick.

KK

post-3955-1211487060_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1211487070_thumb.jpg

Here is the only picture of wood that I could find, from a Jan Schoonover class I took a few years ago. Wood grain really isn't hard to do. Cut the lines between the boards and bevel them slightly or just model between them. Model in some random bark texture. Knot holes can be pushed in with a pointed end of a modeling tool, then make sure the bark "swerves" around the hole. Cracks or broken out pieces can be put in with a background tool. Broken off ends of boards look good too. Use a pointed beveler for these. Nails can be either a point of the modeling tool, or a small round seeder pressed into the leather by hand, not too deep.

I'd like to see more examples of what people have done to simulate wood.

horse_over_fence.jpg

post-12-1211487763_thumb.jpg

thanks for the replies, kevin,that is sum good stuff!! the peg leg is way too funny!!

Here are two samples of mine ...

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_1160_1.jpg

post-6312-1211510780_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1211510798_thumb.jpg

When I do wood grain, I look at a piece of wood. What better pattern could there possibly be? I don't cut the grain, I use the modeling spoon on it. The more worn look you want, the deeper the impressions. Then I add light horizontal lines with a stylus to make it look more woody. Here's a frame I did some time ago.

Kathy

leather_001.jpg

leather_002.jpg

leather_003.jpg

post-1462-1211641741_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1211641810_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1211642161_thumb.jpg

Kathy, that is about the neatest frame I've seen. It is just awesome the way you've continued the leaves out into the frame. BEAUTIFUL......

Ken

Kathy, i like that a lot ..looks real!! can we talk you in to a how to with pictures.. :thumbsup: like Ken said its BEAUTIFUL................. :spoton:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Ken, you always say the nicest things. It's funny, when I posted these pictures, I was thinking "This picture ain't so great." I guess I've been looking at it too long!

Hiloboy, I do have a how-to with a horse head, but it's too big for Johanna to post. I have to figure out how to make it smaller! If you have any specific requests, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Kathy

that picture frame is awesume,thanks for all the help

When I do wood grain, I look at a piece of wood. What better pattern could there possibly be? I don't cut the grain, I use the modeling spoon on it. The more worn look you want, the deeper the impressions. Then I add light horizontal lines with a stylus to make it look more woody. Here's a frame I did some time ago.

Kathy

very nice work

Kathy

Well Done! That's Art!

Sure,

Just make the plank dividing lines deep and straight and the grain lines somewhat broken and wiggly. Very easy pattern and very effective. I use it quite a bit. Oh, the nails are just made with a stylus or any kinda pointy item. Hope this helps.

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

img004.jpg

img018.jpg

img043.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Awesome work!!

Kathy

Wonderful! I've saved the pictures into my inspiration folder! I want to give this a try!

Hiloboy, I do have a how-to with a horse head, but it's too big for Johanna to post. I have to figure out how to make it smaller! If you have any specific requests, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Kathy

I can convert most files to PDF if that makes it easier to post. Just let me know and hopefully the file size will fit in an email. If not, there are otherways to move it.

Here is a wood pattern I converted to a B&W image if it helps.

post-56863-0-64219800-1421853803_thumb.p