Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

Rivet Removal

When repairing saddles and you need to remove the rivets in the riggings or on the stirrups what do you use to get the little buggers out?

Thank you,

Rob

I take a pointed drive punch and make a dimple on the peened part of the rivet. Then use a drill bit one size bigger than what's needed. Drill and get the washer off then take your drive punch and knock the rivet out. A piece of metal with a hole bigger then the rivet in it really helps if you put it under the rivet so it theirs something to hold the rigging and let the rivet fall into. I've been saveing the rivets i take out for almost 20 years and i'm gonna take em and sell them one of these days.

Take a spike, or a sharp flat head screwdriver and strike the washer to the left of the burr, then to the right of the burr. you may have to do this a couple of times but the copper washer will fold up, grab it with some nippers and pull it off. You can then nip the burred end of the rivet off with the nippers and now drive the rivet back out with a spike or punch over the piece of metal with the hole drilled in it. This is very fast and effective.

I use a dremel with a small cut off wheel that I cut the burr off then the washer come off and you can drive the rivit out. When removing Blevin buckles use the cut off wheel to remove the burr and washer, pull off the first layer of leather then use the cut off wheel to cut the rivit off flush with the blevin buckle and then drive the rest out with a punch and hammer. A steel plate with a hole drilled in it underneath helps a bunch.

I will not use a drill and bit as I has one break on me one time and drove the broken bit through my hand, OUCH!

Randy

Great, thank you all.

Rob

I use a drill press. The trick is to put a blob of saliva on the rivet, then drill thro it. This is an old welder's trick who said the spit works better than water. Besides, it handy and there's always a ready supply.

I use the dremel tool,...works every time!

When repairing saddles and you need to remove the rivets in the riggings or on the stirrups what do you use to get the little buggers out?

Thank you,

Rob

Most important is that you don´t generate too much heat so the leather around the rivet will be destroyed !

Edited by oldtimer

Take a spike, or a sharp flat head screwdriver and strike the washer to the left of the burr, then to the right of the burr. you may have to do this a couple of times but the copper washer will fold up, grab it with some nippers and pull it off. You can then nip the burred end of the rivet off with the nippers and now drive the rivet back out with a spike or punch over the piece of metal with the hole drilled in it. This is very fast and effective.

a piece of 2x4 with a hole big enough to allow the rivet place to go will work too