KnotHead

Christmas Bell From Hell

Hi all. I had a get together with a few colleagues about a month ago. A couple of years ago one of them showed me The Bell From Hell by Tom Hall. It was one of the most fantastic turks heads I had layed eyes on. What made it special to me is that it was done in some kind of raw hide. I am not too sure to this date what type of raw hide. But I know this much. I have seen this bell in person and handled it with my hands.

For those that are familiar with Tom Halls books, you will not find this in ANY of his books.

Christmas Bell From Hell - By Tom Hall.

100_1279.jpg

100_1278.jpg

100_1276.jpg

100_1275.jpg

A very brilliant turks head by Tom Hall.

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did in person. I know that the photos do not do it justice at all, compared to seeing it in person.

B...

I've had a few classes with him....great teacher!

I would so love to meet him some day. I would love just to have some email comms with him. But I don't even know if he still alive or what. All I have is that post above and his books. I'm only missing one of his books. But I can't find it anywhere for sale. I have no way of getting in touch with him to see if he has that one book for sale still or not. You are so blessed to have had some lessons with him. I envy you. LOL... Not really, just a wish to meet with him, or meet him over the internet or by phone.

B...

The classes I had with him were before my son was born, and he's 6, so it was a little bit ago....but I remember some of us joked that he was a ringer for Garth Brooks.

Oh no... LOL...

B...

Well I decided to try and make one for myself. So far so good I think. Now all I have to do is take it off the mandrel and mount it on a bell shaped form.

100_1562.jpg

B...

Nice Brian! Keep us updated on this please. Take lots of pictures :)

I couldn't resist putting the jazz into the bell. I saw it and had to.

100_1565.jpg

100_1566.jpg

100_1567.jpg

B...

Progress update.

Off the the mandrel and on to the form for tightening and dressing. It's almost done. The first leg of tightening took 2hrs.

100_1579.jpg

100_1580.jpg

100_1581.jpg

100_1582.jpg

100_1583.jpg

100_1584.jpg

I'm hoping ya'll like it so far. Shoot, ya'll probably think I'm off my rocker now. LMAO!!!

:wacko:

B...

Crazy? Maybe. Amazing? YUP!

@ wildrose. LOL... Well if it suites you any better. I think that I may be a bit off the rocker. LOL...

Anyway here's another progress update; I just finished transferring the bell to a little bit of a smaller form and finished the 2nd leg of tightening.

100_1590.jpg

B...

Well folks. Here it is all done with the jazz. I did the best I could with it. This was truly a test of my skill and tolerance levels. LOL...

100_1606.jpg

This is my rendition of the original Christmas Bell by Tom Hall.

The body of the casa knot contains 18 parts by 16 bights with a 4 part 3 bight loop.

My addition is a type 1 pineapple interweave with the appearance of a type 4 pineapple interweave. Nothing was done to achieve this appearance. The interwoven part is of a 7 part casa knot with 11 bights.

Yes. I lacquered it to stiffen it up so I would hold shape simply because it is Kangaroo Hide being used.

B...

:blink:

I think you are a bit crazy. Nice work though. I was curious how the roo would hold that form..

I used some lacquer for leather to harden the leather up so it would hold the form better than on its own. I sprayed 2 coats on the outside and 4 coats on the inside of the bell. Hardened up real nice and holding form for the moment.

B...

Really, really nice job. Your curiosity and dedication are commendable. Yes, there is a thin line beween genius and insanity...

Thank you 8KCAB for the kind comment.

B...

This is a side by side. I wanted to show this to say that this is where I got the inspiration from to do this crazy knot.

SideBySideBells.jpg

B...

Absolutely beautiful. Great work, Brian. Anyone who can make some of these knots has to be crazy. How else could you follow the instructions? Do you plan on sharing the written instructions? Would be a good article in the LCSJ before Christmas. Well before Christmas so we have time to make them.

Once again, beautiful work, Brian.

Absolutely beautiful. Great work, Brian. Anyone who can make some of these knots has to be crazy. How else could you follow the instructions? Do you plan on sharing the written instructions? Would be a good article in the LCSJ before Christmas. Well before Christmas so we have time to make them.

Once again, beautiful work, Brian.

Thank you for your kind comment.

What's the LCSJ?

I would love to write up an article about this knot and how I came about it. I could share most of the instructions. I have 2 grids that mount to a mandrel to make this knot with. So I know I will be able to share those also.

B...

Thanks for being so open to sharing, that's what makes this such a valuable site for those of us early in our braiding journey. :)

Without the sharing of a knowledge there would be no art or craft that we so enjoy to be seen, or shared at all. This is what makes the journey possible for all who apply themselves to this art and craft for the learning and enjoyment of this art and craft.

B...

The LCSJ is the Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal. I believe teh web site is leathercrafters.com. Not positive, but if you google it you will find it. They put on the show in Sheridan, WY and Wickenburg, AZ. I happen to have an article on braiding a 16 strand belt in the current issue.

Hey Joe.

You were close on the web address. http://www.leathercraftersjournal.com/

I think it would interesting to publish something through the LCSJ since the last known location that I know of for Tom Hall was in WY somewhere on a ranch.

B...

The Christmas Bell I made got published to The El Trenzador blog today. The link provided should take you to a very rough english translation.

Christmas Bell Article - El Trenzador

If any are interested that is.

B...