xaman

Pull-Up Leather?

Hi All,

I got some dark brown "pull-up" leather from Tandy recently, and love the look of it. It has a great "vintage" look, and is very flexible (will fold back on itself easily) for Ipad cases and journal covers. However, it seems as though it is very prone to color transfer. I made a bag out of it, and it sained my pants from rubbing against them...

Is this just a Tandy quality problem, or a problem associated with this type of leather in general?

Do you have any recommendation of where I can find something similar, without the color bleeding problem, in BLACK? I can only find it at Zack White under "oil-tanned", but they specifically call the brown colors "pull-up" leather, and the black colors "oil tanned." Would that be the same stuff?

THANKS for the help :)

Edited by xaman

Try Sav-mor leather in Los Angeles,Ca 1-213-749-3468

Waterford Leather defines Pull Up leather as: Pullup Leather: Describes the behavior of leather that has been treated with oils, waxes, and dyes in such a way that when the leather is pulled or stretched (i.e. on upholstery), the finish becomes lighter in the stretched areas. Considered a mark of high quality.

They also have six colors of it. http://www.waterhouseleather.com/upholstery_leather_hides.htm

(I haven't ordered any, I just ran across it on their site, and remembered this thread.)

Horween makes Chromexcel leather which apparently the original pull up leather. I have a wallet made from Horween oxblood chromexcel and it is beautiful. It doesn't stain my pants, and has a different feel than tandy's oil tanned leather.

This is the wallet:

http://www.teranishibrand.com/collections/frontpage/products/minimalist-bifold

it feels, smells, and has aged amazingly. You can see the slight pull-up along the stitch line. It looks really good when it's full of cards etc. The different tones along the edges of the cards make it look really rich.

What shinelightshine said is right, Chromexcel from Horween is some amazing leather. Just received my first hide of it in the mail from Maverick Leather. It has a great look and feel for making small and larger goods too. Also, it does not bleed dye on to anything else. I wouldnt store it near undyed hides, but it doesn't seem like it would do anything anyhow.

- Josiah

I will third that on the Chromexel

It is beautiful, easy to work with and smells wonderful

Chromexcel is great stuff for nicer items. I bought a bunch at scrap prices (once in a lifetime chance) and have reveived many compliments. I have found a pull-up effect,though milder, from most veg tan--even soling leather--after plenty of oils and waxes have been rubbed in.

Maverick Leather has some Horween Chromexcel Horse butt strips in stock that are really nice. They are about 25-30 bucks each, and have a nice feel and pull up effect.