Sign in to follow this  
Maus

Cranial Conundrum

I want to make a simple hard leather helmet... something with a silloutte(sp? sorry spelling is not my strong suit) similar to this http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1058-elven-larp-helm.aspx *sigh* I wish I could find a better picture one from a historical reference.. but this gets the job done. But I'm really unsure as to how to go about making it. In the ideal world I would like to use as few pieces as possible as I want to keep it fairly thin/light since it is going to be used primarily as a way to hold a mask on. But this is a first for me- so I'm brand spanking new on armor making... So any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

if you are only needing something simple to hold a mask, maybe a strap around your head just above the brow and another going from front to back across the top would be enough. it would be very simple to rivet together or make adjustable. but if you really want a helmet like the one in your link, you will need to wet form pieces of leather. thin leather soaked in water is very stretchy and can be molded. when it dries it tends to hold the shape. your biggest problem would be constructing a mold that fits the shape you wish to achieve. wood forms are good because you can nail your leather to it (around the edges that will be trimmed off later) to hold your leather while you stretch and mold it as it dries. let it dry completely before removing.

ken

There's a good rescource for patterns here . Most of the patterns are intended for constrution in steel, but canbe done in leather (and a lot quieter than bashing steel)

Not gonna lie man. Helmets are by far the hardest thing to do in leather, at least for me. It took me ten years before I found a pattern I could make look like something not crap and be comfortable on the field. I hate to be a downer, but really you should cut your teeth on some more basic stuff: arms, shoulders. After that try some gauntlets and gorgets. Then start playing around with wet molding by making some masks or cops. Then try your helmet.

That helmet you posted is essentially just an open-faced barbute:

European_Barbute.jpg

The one you posted is also made of plastic, not metal.

Something like that is particularly hard to do in leather because leather's going to have to have some seams somewhere. Older types of helmets, like spangenhelms, are much easier to make in leather, as are helms like great helms that don't have much dishing, just curved pieces. But with all the seams/lines/decorative whatevers on that helmet, you might be able to do it by sewing a bunch of smaller strips together. Tedious, but it might work.

Sorry I can't be more help. Helmets is hard... :(

Not gonna lie man. Helmets are by far the hardest thing to do in leather, at least for me. It took me ten years before I found a pattern I could make look like something not crap and be comfortable on the field. I hate to be a downer, but really you should cut your teeth on some more basic stuff: arms, shoulders. After that try some gauntlets and gorgets. Then start playing around with wet molding by making some masks or cops. Then try your helmet.

That helmet you posted is essentially just an open-faced barbute:

European_Barbute.jpg

The one you posted is also made of plastic, not metal.

Something like that is particularly hard to do in leather because leather's going to have to have some seams somewhere. Older types of helmets, like spangenhelms, are much easier to make in leather, as are helms like great helms that don't have much dishing, just curved pieces. But with all the seams/lines/decorative whatevers on that helmet, you might be able to do it by sewing a bunch of smaller strips together. Tedious, but it might work.

Sorry I can't be more help. Helmets is hard... :(

Thanks Ferret! That is a wonderful link that should really help me out quite a bit.

I'm not too concerned about making a helmet. I've been making historical costumes, and other odd ball shapes and things before. I should be able to handle this without a problem. I've had to do some odd ball finagling with felted hats making them work for different theatre shows. (I'm a costume shop minion) I am aware that there would have to be seams. but I figured I'd ask people with more experience in making them than I. I already have a head form that I use for FX makeup that will allow me to press and work on it. And I know the one I posted was made of of plastic- but it was the shape over all shape I was looking at.. Thanks for letting me know the name of that particular helm. I'm aware that I will have seams- its the nature of the beast- but it never hurt to glean some info from those with more experience. Hivemind, I don't disagree with you, Whew- I wouldn't want to do all of the seams on the helmet I posted.. it isn't even one I'm fond of per say but it was the right shape. My goal with this helmet is to then start molding and building other pieces to attach to it. I rather liked the masks/helms from the Legend of the Guardians of Ga'hoole, and I know I'm showing my geekyness here, but wanted to try to make one for the hellovit and the challenge. My logic is you can't improve or learn much if you don't ever challenge yourself. I know I can easily carve the mask portion but it was the helmet part that was throwing me for a bit of a loop.

I figured since this is mostly going to be used as a costume piece- and a dust collector for when its not in use- 7-8 leather would be fine... or would a heavier leather be better. I don't have a terribly large head... so I'm hoping I wont need that many feet of it.

If it's just for entertainment, try making it from one of the 6-7 oz single shoulders Tandy has on sale for $15 right now.

If it's just for entertainment, try making it from one of the 6-7 oz single shoulders Tandy has on sale for $15 right now.

I think I have some of that I've been sitting on... but 15 bucks is hard to argue with. Shame its a bit far from Naples. I miss being able to just walk in and see the leather for myself.