BobbyWDavis

Needle/thread Questions

I recently picked up a Consew 18 and a Juki LU562, both walking foot machines. I plan to use them both and decide which one I would like to keep. I am, however, a little overwhelmed regarding thread and needle sizes. The 562 uses 135x17, which seems pretty straight forward. The Consew manual requires a 16x64 for sewing leather. I have seen from other posts that this needle is tough to find. I also read that a 135x16 will work in it's place. Can anyone verify if this is true, and if I need to adjust the machine in anyway to use it.

Also, can anyone recommend a good onlinie source of thread and needles? I would like to use some 22-25 sizes. I am confident that a 22 will handle 138 thread, so what size of needle is required for 207? Advice on point types would be helpful as well.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am new to machine sewing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ron at A1sewingmachine.com or Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial may have what you need. I don't think anyone has stumped Bob yet. Maybe for a Junker SD-28?

Art

The Consew manual requires a 16x64 for sewing leather. I have seen from other posts that this needle is tough to find. I also read that a 135x16 will work in it's place. Can anyone verify if this is true, and if I need to adjust the machine in anyway to use it.

I am confident that a 22 will handle 138 thread, so what size of needle is required for 207? Advice on point types would be helpful as well.

You would use a #24 needle with 207 thread. Use a leather point needle for leather and a regular point for cloth and vinyl.

Ron at A1sewingmachine.com or Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial may have what you need. I don't think anyone has stumped Bob yet. Maybe for a Junker SD-28?

Art

Thanks Art. I sent Ron a note to see if he had a 16x64 or an equivelant, but he said he couldn't help me. I will try Bob at Toledo. I am pretty sure I won't find a 16x64, but I am not sure what I could use in it's place. I appreciate the help.