He plead guilty to misdemeaners and recevied fines and 3 years probation.

wow, that's serious! Was that because he hired illegal immigrants?

(on a side note, I just got bucked off BIG TIME out of my Billy Cook saddle and while the horse is very much to blame for doing a hand stand with me in the saddle -- there were quite a number of little bucks and not so little bucks, which I was very proud of sitting -- and nicely, if I do say so myself -- until the final spurt and HUGE buck catapulted me onto the hard, hard, hard sand arena floor... that final buck was worthy of a rodeo bronc, and I have witnesses to prove it... for what that's worth -- I'm thinking a fair amount of his motivation for doing so had at least something to do with my BC saddle not fitting so well.... I know others have them and love them but right now, I'm not so much one of 'em....

Ok, a little too much Robaxi-watsit and a wee bit of Scotch might have made that story a little less coherent than I would have liked, but suffice to say that I'm on a serious hunt for a new saddle... so far, the horse is safe, though he shouldn't be getting TOO comfortable....)

Jo

Yes, and got caught TWICE.

wow, that's serious! Was that because he hired illegal immigrants?

(on a side note, I just got bucked off BIG TIME out of my Billy Cook saddle and while the horse is very much to blame for doing a hand stand with me in the saddle -- there were quite a number of little bucks and not so little bucks, which I was very proud of sitting -- and nicely, if I do say so myself -- until the final spurt and HUGE buck catapulted me onto the hard, hard, hard sand arena floor... that final buck was worthy of a rodeo bronc, and I have witnesses to prove it... for what that's worth -- I'm thinking a fair amount of his motivation for doing so had at least something to do with my BC saddle not fitting so well.... I know others have them and love them but right now, I'm not so much one of 'em....

Ok, a little too much Robaxi-watsit and a wee bit of Scotch might have made that story a little less coherent than I would have liked, but suffice to say that I'm on a serious hunt for a new saddle... so far, the horse is safe, though he shouldn't be getting TOO comfortable....)

Jo

does anyone know how the saddle company in Sulphur is doing now? Did they ever recover from losing 75% of their workforce and their owner being tied up with federal charges? Being from Oklahoma, the newspaper had a few articles about the company and all of their problems, but i haven't heard anything since.

post-17862-022580600 1290187827_thumb.jppost-17862-035887000 1290187849_thumb.jp I'm having to edit this post because I lost the original text when I attached the photos.

Anyway, I was hoping to find out a little bit more about this little barrel saddle. It has the numbers 150 71 stamped on the back of the cantle and the cinch keeper has longhorn 1010 stamped on it. Also, both stirrup fenders has the longhorn stamp. On the top of the horn is a Martha Josey screw in concho. From previous posts and other research I think this saddle would classify as a Billy Cook/Longhorn and made near St. Louis.

Thanks,

Walter Jones

Edited by WAJones

Walter,

Your saddle is a Martha Josey "all-round" ladies saddle. It is one of the last saddles made for women. Made under the Longhorn stamp in Greenville. Was in the Longhorn inventory from the late 1970's until Longhorn closed in the late 1980's. This saddle was very popular. Longhorn made the Martha Josey named saddle and the same saddle un-named. When I had a retail store as a Longhorn dealer I had 2 each in stock and was my best seller. At wholesale the named saddle cost about $75.00 more. An expensive horn cap.

Bob

Yes Troy has it all right. I'll also add that Simpco-Longhorn patented and registered the name "Genuine Billy Cook Maker Sulphur,OK which is the stamp seen today on all Billy's. Billy Cook originally made cutting,barrel and roping Saddle's and was occasionally commissioned to make trophy Saddle's.

Troy West your history on Billy Cook is right on the money! That is the way I heard it from Action Co AND my sales rep from Colorado Saddlery! Good Job!