i saw that Desantis is making a collectors edition "Duke" rig. it inspired me to make a rig for my Colt SAA 45. its similar, but i did some changes for my taste. My belt is different too and i made it to what i wanted. i tried using my new sewing machine on one of the carriers, but it just doesnt compare to hand. So i did the belt/holster by hand.

in the center i made some cartridge carriers for a friend. if he likes them i will be making more in a couple different calibers.

duke1rig.jpg

hobby, I like this a lot. The cartridge loops, are they colored white, pr is it some pre-dyed white leather?

Ken

hobby, I like this a lot. The cartridge loops, are they colored white, pr is it some pre-dyed white leather?

Ken

thanks alot.

the cartridge loops are a cotton webbing. the color isnt really white, but an off white. really, after working it thru the dyed leather, it has sort of an saddle tan tint.

i found on my last rig, that the leather will corrode the brass rather quickly. so i thought that the cotton should be less corrosive at least until the cotton absorbes some of the leathers acid.

A little late on my comments... but better late then...

I like the rig, you did a great job. I've been working on a similar style holster but haven't figured out the best way to attach the strap around the middle. Any pointers would be welcome.

I'm curious why the cartridge holders you made hold 10 cartridges. I do have one revolver that only holds 5 rounds but it's the exception to my collection. My SA revolvers hold 6 and like most clones with the transfer bar addition can be safely loaded with all 6 rounds.

As for the corrosion of the cartridges, I like to rotate cartridges through the business end of my shooten irons long before they have a chance to corrode... but for those who don't the cotton web sounds like a good idea.

Nice dye job too.

I like the rig, you did a great job. I've been working on a similar style holster but haven't figured out the best way to attach the strap around the middle. Any pointers would be welcome.

I attached the strap the hard way. I stitched it down instead of using rivets. The ends are just butted togeather.

I'm curious why the cartridge holders you made hold 10 cartridges. I do have one revolver that only holds 5 rounds but it's the exception to my collection. My SA revolvers hold 6 and like most clones with the transfer bar addition can be safely loaded with all 6 rounds.

The Cartridge carriers were for someone else. He shoot CASS and from what i understand only load 5 in their SAAs eventho they can hold 6. One carrier (10 continuous loops) is for rifle and one for hand guns. The originals are made back to back, but this guy wanted to mix and match calibers so i made him a set for 32, 38/357, 44 and 45 and separted the rifle from pistol. Now all he has to do is to thread a lace thru the holes and use what he wants.

As for the corrosion of the cartridges, I like to rotate cartridges through the business end of my shooten irons long before they have a chance to corrode... but for those who don't the cotton web sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking about using cotton webbing due to a similar gun belt i made several month ago for one of my friends, but using leather cartridge loops. I had left some cartridges in the loops overnight and noticed some light corrosion on them the next day. I guess that most people will not keep any rounds in the loops, but you never know.

thanks for the complements too.

Outstanding looking rig. I really like the color.

Tom

Outstanding looking rig. I really like the color.

Tom

thank you. I was surprised how well it turned out. I usuall go for the dark colors - since its not as easy to get/show dirt when working on them.