HARVEY

Swivel Knife Differences?

I only have 3-4 knives; Chuck Smith, Standing Bear, my old Tandy, maybe one more. I AM planning on getting a LeatherWrangler's. But I'd like some feedback on Henley knives. Are they really any better or worse?

From everything I've read over the years, I know so much of this is individual feel, grip, style, etc. But to those of you who have Henley (or LeatherWrangler or another name brand), is there a difference? If so, please detail what it is. Thanks.

Harvey

Los Angeles

I've never used a Henley, so can only go on what others say, and must be an awfully good knife from the number of pros using them. The thing about the Leather Wrangler is the metal in the blade, and its ability to maintain a sharp edge. Paul is using an alloy that he identified as being resistant to the effect moisture and elements in the leather have on the metal. He did a substantial amount of research with the aid of an electron microscpe at Sandia labs, and discovered what was happening to most blades was a micrscopic pitting of the metal that was occuring. This stuff he is using now doesn't do this. If you don't mind spending a lot of time sharpening and maintaining an edge, then probably any of the better knives will work. Me personally, I would spend most of my time tooling and stropping occasionly. I think I have put my SK3 on a stone maybe two to three times in over a year. Hope this helps,

Terry

I have both (and if I take my behaviour in to account) I always grab the SK-3 knife first.

It is a wonderful tool and I can cut a BIG pattern and maybe just strop it once or twice. Paul made me a small angled blade and with this I can cut any pattern just the way I want. I do use my Henley for decorative cuts due to the blade is broader.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with the Henley, it is just that the SK-3 is so much better. My 2 cents//Tina

I have both (and if I take my behaviour in to account) I always grab the SK-3 knife first.

It is a wonderful tool and I can cut a BIG pattern and maybe just strop it once or twice. Paul made me a small angled blade and with this I can cut any pattern just the way I want. I do use my Henley for decorative cuts due to the blade is broader.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with the Henley, it is just that the SK-3 is so much better. My 2 cents//Tina

Tina,

I recently received a "thicker" angle blade from Paul, and it opens cuts just right. Give him a call and he can fix you up.

Terry

Tina,

I recently received a "thicker" angle blade from Paul, and it opens cuts just right. Give him a call and he can fix you up.

Terry

That might be a super idea :clapping:

I have in mind to eventually get another one from Paul, a thicker blade will do the trick for sure :thumbsup:

I too have both.

I have become partial to the Henley as I prefer the weight of the knife and feel I have a little more control,

The blades in both stay sharp with minimal stropping.

I do not think you can go wrong with eiher tool.

Jed

IMHO There is a huge difference between Henley and Leather Wranglers! Henley, like many other knives is a solid stainless steel knife with excellent bearings in the yoke. It is adjustable and is available in coarse or fine knurling. They used to be carried by Tandy and Leather Factory and were marketed as "Extreme Alloy" swivel knives. They are available in a variety of knife barrel diameters and lengths and they are adjustable. They are very high quality knives and have a very solid "heavy" feel to them. Their blades are very good. Leather Wrangler is a very different animal in that it is made of aluminum and is very light weight. The knurling is fine but sticky (making it easy to hold on to) and not smooth as you will find in knives like Chuck Smiths. They too are available in a variety of barrel diameters and lengths, are adjustable and have a couple difference yoke styles to choose from. I believe Paul uses bushings rather than bearings. Also, these knives are available in a number of brilliant colors. The blades in Leather Wrangler knives are very different also. It is a very high tech alloy designed for use in operating theatres (don't hold me to that) and requires much less stropping that a conventional steel blade. You need to be aware that the shafts on the blades are flat and if you want a round shaft Paul will braise some round stock to the shaft so that the blades can be used in other barrels. These are very high quality knives also and they have a very "light" feel to them. I use both brands. I have several Henleys with different blades in them and I use my Leather Wrangler knife a lot also. They have entirely different feels and I cannot say that I prefer one over the other. I find myself reaching for the Leather Wrangler knife when I do decorative cutting or finger carving and I use the Henleys and Bob Beard knives for general cutting. Bob custom made a couple of knives for me so of course I'm crazy about them!

I think Chuck Smith's knives are "Top Drawer" in every aspect. I don't use them because I prefer the aggressive knurl like is available from Henley......Chuck's knurling is very smooth. With regard to these two knives it is purely a personal choice.

An awful lot of people swear by Barry's knives and won't use anything else. I have never tried one because I have some sort of aversion to brass but knowing Barry I'm sure they are an excellent choice. There is new knife now being offered that is made of titanium and utilizing bushings at the yoke. I just saw it for the first time this week. I have never held one but the idea of a titanium knife is intriguing and the price is reasonable. These are available from Billy Brown at Diamond B Leather.

Henley Knives: http://gemosphere.tr...el_Knivesx.html

Leather Wranglers: http://www.leatherwranglers.com

Diamond B Leather: http://www.diamondbleather.com

Bob Beard Knives: http://robertbeardtools.com

Barry King Knives: http://www.barrykingtools.com

Hope this helps.....

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

...I believe Paul uses bushings rather than bearings...

The leatherwranglers website says, that the SK-3 swivel knifes have "a super smooth ball bearing yoke".

SK-3 link

Cheers,

Marcel

The leatherwranglers website says, that the SK-3 swivel knifes have "a super smooth ball bearing yoke".

SK-3 link

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks, Marcel, I stand corrected! Regardless, bearings or bushings, Paul's knives are very smooth!

Bobby

I just read Bob's post and have to say I do the same thing. I tend to cut a pattern with the Henley and do decorative cuts with the LW. I also very much prefer the coarser knurling on these knives. I cannot decide which I prefer the most. They are both excellent quality. I didn't think the light weight of the LW would matter to me but I find that I do like it as it seems to be a little less fatigue. I also had Paul make me a thin blade for it. I have Chuck Smiths, very high quality knife but the knurling isn't as coarse so I tend not to use it as much. My $.02.

Troy

i know you can purchase different blades to use in your knives. can you get differant yokes for your barrels?

i know you can purchase different blades to use in your knives. can you get differant yokes for your barrels?

With the SK-3 you have a 2 different yokes to take your pick from.

i have the barry king, al stohman(from tandy) and the henley swivel knife.

the al stohman knife i purchased when on sale and thought it was good with a ceramic angle blade in it.

found out barry king makes a double line blade that fits this knife. now this knife cuts only borders when i want a raised line for a border.

the barry king knife i purchased right after attending Chan Geer's class in portland or. Chan let me use it on my project and i fell in love with the feel of the knurling on the shaft and the ease of turning it, smoothness of the blade cutting the leather. also learned that this blade needs to be stropped a lot during use.

the problem with barry king swivel knives is they will only take barry king blades.

last year i tried a henley knife at the 3rd Chan Geer class in portland or. i really fell in love with this knife. the feel of the knife was like no other.

i ordered one 1 week after the class. it took 2 months for the henley to show up at my door. henley said that it will take about 2 months due to me ordering their most popular size.

i have the angle blade and straight blade from henley and just love this swivel knife.

i still use my barry king knife but find that i reach for the henley first.

bottom line is i think you cant go wrong with barry king or henley swivel knives they are both great knives and would not trade/sell them for anything.