Tyree904

What Do You Use In Your Molding Press?

I have been trying different materials between 1" plywood sheets in my molding press, ( 8 C clamps). Would you guys be willing to share any successes or failures with the material you are/ have used. My last use was 4 layers of 1/2" sleeping pad foam from Big5 sporting goods. The result was ok but the material quickly degrades with subsiquent / repeated use.

Thank you, TR

Alot of people use natural gum rubber in their modified shop presses, I believe you can get it from McMaster-Carr. There have been a few threads which have mentioned it try a seach on holster press or gum rubber and they should come up.

Cheers,

Clair

You want to call McMaster Carr, . . . and ask for gum rubber, . . . mine is 1 inch thick, . . . hardness is 40.

It looks kinda funky, . . . lots of people I know wouldn't have it on their place, . . . works like a champ, . . . less than $125 in it.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-081310500 1303134196_thumb.jpg

and i always thought you are all forming youre holsters bye hand around the guns... : )

But using a press i faster, i guess^^

<br />You want to call McMaster Carr, . . . and ask for gum rubber, . . . mine is 1 inch thick, . . . hardness is 40. It looks kinda funky, . . . lots of people I know wouldn't have it on their place, . . . works like a champ, . . . less than $125 in it. May God bless,

Once again Dwight you come through! That is a great picture of your press, thank you. And personally I think its awesome! Be proud! I am considering buying one from harbor freight on sale. A 12 ton jack in an 'H' frame shop press for $100. plus tax, no shipping fee. It will save me 3/4's of a day getting material and building it and a 90 mile round trip to the nearest hardware store. The rubber info is clutch information, thank you. How do you think 1" neoprene of durometer 30A would do? I have some coming into a local Grainger industrial supply to check it out. <br /><br />TR

Edited by Tyree904