Jimbob

Some Of My Newer Seats I Made...

Here are some of my latest seats I made...nothing fancy but I had fun doing my thing....and people actually use them to sit on...cool !!

Any comments or critique is welcome!

Greetings

Hey Jimbob,

your wetmolding is spot on and i like the different lacing. it's cool. Your designs are pretty neat for the good ol' skulls and flames. One critique I have is that I think you can carve deeper into the leather. Then when you bevel the difference between the raised leather and the beveled parts will be more prominent and more "3D". Other than that, great job!

Chris

Something must be wrong here.... no pictures.

Hey Jimbob,

your wetmolding is spot on and i like the different lacing. it's cool. Your designs are pretty neat for the good ol' skulls and flames. One critique I have is that I think you can carve deeper into the leather. Then when you bevel the difference between the raised leather and the beveled parts will be more prominent and more "3D". Other than that, great job!

Chris

Hello Chris

Good observation and thanks for the praise...

Yes the carving could be deeper....but I am using 3-4 oz tooling leather for the top and about 2-3 for the skirts.....the reason I am limiting myself to the deph of the actual carving is simple...if you cover an upholstered seat with inlaid gelpad with, say...6-8oz then most if not all the effect of comfort is gone....these seats are mostly NOT bar hopper chairs, they will be ridin hard and I mean 300 miles plus.....so the comfort factor is important.....on the few hard ass leather only seats I do 13-15 oz skirting and carve in as deep as I can.

Guess you have to go the middle way to please everybody....but then again, looks is cool but usability is first in my book....scooters are for riding and not for parking at Daytona bike week...haha...

Thanks for checking out my seats....and if I ever get as good as Dave then I have myself a sixpack of room temperature dark beer...haha

Aloha

Something must be wrong here.... no pictures.

Errr... What David said...lol

Carving could ALWAYS be deeper and the details could be crisper, when there's no pictures..

Hello Chris

Good observation and thanks for the praise...

Yes the carving could be deeper....but I am using 3-4 oz tooling leather for the top and about 2-3 for the skirts.....the reason I am limiting myself to the deph of the actual carving is simple...if you cover an upholstered seat with inlaid gelpad with, say...6-8oz then most if not all the effect of comfort is gone....these seats are mostly NOT bar hopper chairs, they will be ridin hard and I mean 300 miles plus.....so the comfort factor is important.....on the few hard ass leather only seats I do 13-15 oz skirting and carve in as deep as I can.

Guess you have to go the middle way to please everybody....but then again, looks is cool but usability is first in my book....scooters are for riding and not for parking at Daytona bike week...haha...

Thanks for checking out my seats....and if I ever get as good as Dave then I have myself a sixpack of room temperature dark beer...haha

Aloha

Jimbob,

I have never used a gel pad. How thick are they? What sort of padding do you inlay them into? I use 3/4" neoprene on my seats; it is available in 3 densities.... Most of my guys prefer the hardest of the padding.... which was surprising to me. My seats see a variety of use from bar hopping to long haul..... The guys here in Cincinnati ride my seats to the smokeout every year which is a considerable ride......it is in North Carolina. Still hoping to see pics of your seats.

Best to you,

Dave Theobald

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES:) HAHAHAHAHA

Hey, who stole my pictures???

Well, I am trying to put them up again, as it has been said...useless...NO, not me...the thread...without pics.....

We need to see pictures Jimbob....so go and show us some seats!!!

Ok, here they go >>>>

post-10280-046890800 1347919404_thumb.jp

post-10280-062200300 1347919479_thumb.jp

post-10280-015976300 1347919557_thumb.jp

post-10280-083250100 1347919642_thumb.jp

post-10280-058470900 1347919723_thumb.jp

post-10280-039890500 1347919942_thumb.jp

post-10280-041756300 1347920045_thumb.jp

Oh, and gelpads are available in different thickness...I do use mostly 1/2 inch and for big seats 3/4 inch pads....saddle man gel pads are affordable and super quality!

Guess it all depends on the rider and his style he wants...I am always open on what the bike needs and the rider wants....but I try to do it as good as possible to make it tru leather craft....

Some of them seats in these pics are carved, some are half done and some are extensive upholstery with gelpad insert and chome leather only...!!

Sorry for what ever caused these pictures to disapear....haha.....hope they will show from now on and for ever...or so...

Have much more on my website.....just klick and look...

Thank you for all comments and raised eyebrows about not showing pics...haha

Aloha

Jimbob

Hey, who stole my pictures???

Well, I am trying to put them up again, as it has been said...useless...NO, not me...the thread...without pics.....

We need to see pictures Jimbob....so go and show us some seats!!!

Ok, here they go >>>>

post-10280-046890800 1347919404_thumb.jp

post-10280-062200300 1347919479_thumb.jp

post-10280-015976300 1347919557_thumb.jp

post-10280-083250100 1347919642_thumb.jp

post-10280-058470900 1347919723_thumb.jp

post-10280-039890500 1347919942_thumb.jp

post-10280-041756300 1347920045_thumb.jp

Oh, and gelpads are available in different thickness...I do use mostly 1/2 inch and for big seats 3/4 inch pads....saddle man gel pads are affordable and super quality!

Guess it all depends on the rider and his style he wants...I am always open on what the bike needs and the rider wants....but I try to do it as good as possible to make it tru leather craft....

Some of them seats in these pics are carved, some are half done and some are extensive upholstery with gelpad insert and chome leather only...!!

Sorry for what ever caused these pictures to disapear....haha.....hope they will show from now on and for ever...or so...

Have much more on my website.....just klick and look...

Thank you for all comments and raised eyebrows about not showing pics...haha

Aloha

Jimbob

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa...pictures... :)

Good to finally see them..lol

Loving the carved seats, Jimbob..it's obvious that you've spent a lot of time putting fine detail into them.. I especially like the first one, on the orange Yamaha.. The pic reminds me of a video game I used to play..

The last two pics, I guess show the chrome tanned leather.? I think the rear pad looks a little loose on the foam and could do with some rework.. I can't fault the piping and the stitching, but the front of that piece stands out more than it ought to..IMHO..

Besides that, some pretty nice work.!! (and with finally getting the pictures back up too..lol..)

Regards

Phil

p.s. Just been on your website.. Wow, you do a lot of varied work.. Some really nice stuff.. :)

Some awesome work there - the downside is that seeing the seats that are being shown here and on other's threads scares me from even attempting one! LOL

Nicely done :)

Some awesome work there - the downside is that seeing the seats that are being shown here and on other's threads scares me from even attempting one! LOL

Now you done it....hahaa...

we all want to see a seat from you now!!

Remember, there is NO wrong way...only a different

Style...so come on and make a seat...

We are waiting for ur pictures....

go..... !!!

James

Time'll tell - I do have a few old seats (that I've replaced with aftermarket on my bikes) that I may do just for learning :) For the life of me though I can't figger how you guys get the compound curves (the hollow where yer butt goes) molded into the seats without gluing them down ???

Time'll tell - I do have a few old seats (that I've replaced with aftermarket on my bikes) that I may do just for learning :) For the life of me though I can't figger how you guys get the compound curves (the hollow where yer butt goes) molded into the seats without gluing them down ???

by just doing that....gluing it down!!

If you take a factory seat apart, you will notice the vinyl top has been glued to the foam!!

All seats with big hollow seat areas will buckle up or wrinkel up when not glued down....exept you do very thin ( chrom taned ) tops and make slots where you pull material thru and tight so you have no wrinkles...aka Harley Bagger seats,,,looks ugly too...haha...

if you plan on making a seat with carved top, you just glue the wet top on the foam and then pull and stretch the skirt/gussets down and staple them down...when all gets dry it wonderfully stretches and smothes all leather and you have a sharp seat!!

Make sure your top-finishing foam like the kind of glue u use!!

If you make a chrome tan seat, use old cover and take appart..use as pattern to cut new leather....trim, pipe, sew and you are ready to stretch and staple too...

Greetings

Jimbob

Interesting, I have never used glue on any of my seats. I guess the bend is not sufficient enough to need it? I use 8oz. veg. tanned.

Dave Theobald