Melanie Wilfong

How Would You Handle This Braid?

This is a 16 strand around a steel cable which tapers down at the end. How would you suggest tapering down? I've seen a very good video which tapers over a larger area in a number of steps, but since this is only about 1" I'm not sure what to do. It's a quirt. Thanks

post-19392-068491100 1303584651_thumb.jp

i would try just continuing my braid but pull more downward on the tapering part to try to get it to snug up a bit tighter. then if that didnt work unbraid and try something else...its not much distance so not hard to undo and retry.

I would have started dropping strands out of the braid at about 12in from the end of the quirt. Dropping 2 strings at a time till you reached the end where then it should be down to a minimum of 4 strings or even 8 strings. But that's me and how I would have handled that.

B...

Edited by KnotHead

Howdy! Can you file or cut the cable on a taper? Or considering cutting your lace strands on a taper. I'd advise using scrap lace first to make sure it will work for you. From what I can see you are doing nice work. Stan

Looks like you've got enough room for basically one more full pass - try dropping the front two strands into the middle, plait the back two, drop 'em, plait, drop 'em etc. until you are down to 4 or 6 plait with the remainder coming through the middle. Then you can finish with a crown knot and trim the ends up.

-C