Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

Cheapest Braided Horse Tack

Hey guys, I have not made any horse tack unless a crop counts before, but I have a friend who would maybe think about a cheap set of braided gear.

I would like to know what all I would need for a full set,

SO far as I know I need a

Nose button

Bridle

Reins

Halter

I have no idea if one of those covers another uses or not that's why I am asking you.

If I was to be using the smallest plaits possible. And I am thinking initially of using braided cow hide but quite a nice one, with smallest number of strands for comfort and looks compromise what should I be aiming at???

I was hoping for wide strands I might be able to get away with using either a paracord core or even a 3mm solid leather thong just for shape, the leather I have right now I am thinking of using is actually surprisingly tough in a 3mm width but I would probably aim to use a strand slightly wider for that of course.

At this point I have no idea what I am talking about and whether it would work, so please give me a break down if possible in basic laymans terms, I can look up specific examples of how to construct things and I have seen a few threads I will be going back to.

Also give me a price in your currency as to what you would charge if it was cow and if it was roo.

Here's my 2 cents. A 'full set' will mean different things to different people. A nose button is the long braided button on the top of a bosal. Many good horses never wear a bosal (although I think they are an invaluable training tool). So I would add a bosal to your list along with a nice hanger, but that depends on if your friend uses this. If not I have seen some real nice nose buttons braided on the nose of a rope halter. To fancy it up tie a fiador knot under the chin. There's a pretty good tutorial you can google on this.

When you say bridle I imagine you mean headstall. This is what the bridle or bit hangs from that goes over the horses ears. This is not used with a bosal unless their horse is in the 2 rein, but it is used with reins. There are good examples of both headstalls and reins on this site.

Another thing to consider is a set of hobbles. Other horse gear I've braided are piggin string (short piece of rope much like a 4-5 foot riata used for a variety of things like lashing together gear, tying legs when doctoring and emergency fence repair) and a nitelatch (loops through the gullet of your saddle as an oh-crap-handle when your pony blows up). These are both things that were pieces made from practice braids that I found a use for.

As far as price, that's hard to say - depends on the amount of detail and your title says cheapest. I've made some pretty ugly but functional gear.

Maybe this will spark some other answers at least.

I would say if they want cheap gear tell them to go to the local feed store and buy some no name nylon tack or better yet tell them to collect up bailer twine and braid it themself. :rolleyes2: Braiding this stuff take lots of time and time is money, non of it is cheap. Now if it is a real good freind you could make something nice and just give it to them.

I'm with megabit. If the word cheap comes up in a question about gear you don't want to be involved.

If you still want to do this buy the book "How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear" by Bruce Grant. It will give you a good idea of what's involved. And cow or roo, I doubt if cheap would be part of YOUR description. :)

Dan

Braiding headstalls and reins takes HOURS, use only the best materials. The time isn't worth it unless you are just practicing.

Well I recon if you can not picture what you want to make , you can not make it ????? You can ask all the Q but you need to know what you are making and what it should look like !!

I am still making a gooses bridle, for my mum

As for how much ?? depends on how long it takes you to make something you dont know what it looks like , then add a bit more for inconvenience!!

Cheers mate

www.bwrwhips.com

Edited by Bevan

PS

I could give you all my diamentions but then that would not be cheap !!

Bevan, do me a favor, if you have no intention of being friendly in PM's do not offer me advice on the forum.

Thank you for the descriptions nod4eight, helped clear a few things up.

Perhaps I should not use the term cheap, but I mean cheapest in use, ie four strand reins will probably work but not be comfortable, but they are entry level.

Thats a better term, entry level.

Whats your entry level suggestions, I will still be charging for time, and like I said the leather, though it's cowhide is pretty good stuff, just not like roo.

And megabit, it's not a real good friend, in fact she has caused be a great deal of hassle in the past, but customers are customers, and this would circulate other riders which is my main goal for it...If the term cheap came up it would her saying its the cheapest she could afford. Even that has risks, but if I am still getting paid for it, good enough, if it comes out that I make cheap horse tack then only one stable would be told anyway, I have lost nothing but I could gain much.

Anyone potential customer would look to the quality and not the person who bought it anyway. Quality even in in simple braiding speaks for itself.

I just noticed you are in Belfast, does this person ride English or Western? The tack is quite different and I can't recall seeing much English tack braided. Rather than just trying to figure out what makes a whole set, you might want to see if they have something particular in mind.

Speaking of 4 plait reins, the set I made myself are 4 plait rawhide and I like them fine. They should wear like iron and haven't found the larger strings to cause any problems. That being said 8 plait or more is much more typical. I like to make rugged using gear vs show/art gear. Nothing wrong with either just my preference.

Mike

i think before we can help you have an idea of cost we need to know whether they ride english or western, and exactly what pieces of tack they are looking for.

I just noticed you are in Belfast, does this person ride English or Western? The tack is quite different and I can't recall seeing much English tack braided. Rather than just trying to figure out what makes a whole set, you might want to see if they have something particular in mind.

Speaking of 4 plait reins, the set I made myself are 4 plait rawhide and I like them fine. They should wear like iron and haven't found the larger strings to cause any problems. That being said 8 plait or more is much more typical. I like to make rugged using gear vs show/art gear. Nothing wrong with either just my preference.

Mike

Slight hijack here, but did you use a core on the 4 plait reins, and, if so, what? Thanks.

I don't see the girl often, but I wanted some basic research before I met her again, I am fairly sure she rides western though, she is a show jumper a lot of the time, but owns three horses.

Thanks for the responses so far btw, and I don't mind hijacking...makes it feel more like conversation.

shame on you Bevan play nice!! lol

8thsinner

I would figure how much you have in lace and then double it. As far as time you'll just have to guess as to how long it will take you. And charge whatever ya want to make a hour. So you'll have a difficult time giving a true estimate. Keep track of your time so you'll know for next time. I'll almost bet the first couple of pieces will take way longer than ya think. As far as measurements go I make each piece to fit the horse or the riders preference such as rein length.

Mike

Well I recon if you can not picture what you want to make , you can not make it ????? You can ask all the Q but you need to know what you are making and what it should look like !!

I am still making a gooses bridle, for my mum

As for how much ?? depends on how long it takes you to make something you dont know what it looks like , then add a bit more for inconvenience!!

Cheers mate

www.bwrwhips.com

Well i thought that was a pretty good responce for what you were asking ,,

So Tuff-n up princess

Well i thought that was a pretty good responce for what you were asking ,,

So Tuff-n up princess

LOL That's funny I don't care who ya are!!

Mike

Leather reins: 8 plait - $500 - $800 depending on final dimensions. Add more for roo

Bosal: 8 plait body 24 plait nose - $250 - $450 depends on material and how you value your time

Bridle: I've never made one but I'd think you'd be in the same price range with the rein maybe more.

You'd need a quirt to finsh out a set: $150-$350

Course if it were a "complete buckaroo" set you'd want to have 3 or 4 different diameters of bosals, a snaffle bit head stall, and a couple of bridles for a half breed and a spade bit. Acouple pairs of reins and romals would be in order to. One for riding in the two rein and one for straight up. This would be on top of the paracord mecate rein for the snaffle bit rig.

A couple of cows or half a dozen kangaroos ought to be enough to get most of this cracked out.

You might just have her pay checks direct deposited into your bank account till you get it all finished up.

Rob

dont sell yourself too cheap...i know its attractive to sell at low prices cuz you think your getting your foot in the door to a new market but i guarantee that they will all want those cheap prices. one of the first things asked will be how much was it. also in my experience if you are selling it cheap, like your only covering your material costs, then people will think its not the best quality. i have seen lots of braiding on the internet that i could see wasnt that great but because it was expensive people were buying it up. i would say figure out what your material costs will be, add what you need to make per hour to be cost effective. if you have braided a bit you should know how many inches per hour you can do of the however many strand braid you want to do. you can estimate cost from there.

I don't think I realised quite how long it took to do each piece, but these last few replies have helped me a bit to try and sort out where I stand with this potential order.

While you may be able to repair gear you dont actually use you should not create any gear you don't not know how to use yourself! A person that does not drive can fix my car but I want someone that knows about driving to build it! There are things to be considered that are important to the horse and rider! The person who walks might not think about how well your brakes need to work! Same with the fit, form and function of braided horse tack! If you are hoping to build a reputation.... You will!! Make sure it is a GOOD reputation! Try and find this customer someone qualified to fill her tack needs and your reputation as a caring, helpful person WILL be GOOD!

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Very good thought Alan! Anytime I'm making something new for a horse, it goes on my own horse several times before it's done. My memory also goes back to the bosal discussion. I don't use them so I don't make them. I've had to say no a couple of times to making one and it's hard because they are beautiful and it might be fun, but I really wouldn't know all I should know about their use.

Very well put entiendo & Alan

It is not too often the horse ever gets a thought untill its finished and then the poor bugga has to be on his best behavour because it looks good ,,,, WHATS HIS PROB TODAY !!!!!!!!

Bevan, do me a favor, if you have no intention of being friendly in PM's do not offer me advice on the forum

Now i am bee-n nice

Here is a bit of advice you gave on braiding fourm ,,, stickes ,,, have a look in saddel and tack ,!!!

All the answers are there !!!

Cheers

www.bwrwhips.com

and please let me know how ya go ,,, well let us all know at LWN

I am sure I am not the only one that has a hard time with your request for info

and it just might help us understand where you are coming from

THE HORSE I WOULD HOPE

Edited by Bevan