troutbum1212

Santa Fe Saddle? I Think....

I am new to the forum and leather work in general, i have tooled a bit of things for fun, I have a horse and have spend thousands of hours and miles in a saddle and would like to build my own eventually. I once saw a saddle that has "hand holes" in the seat... Not sure, i thought it was refered to as a mountain man saddle or santa fe saddle... I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these and if so where a good place to order a tree would be... I would like to build my own tree but think the first saddle I will try somebody elses tree... Any info would be greatly appreciated, like I said I am completely and totally new to this... I was also wondering if you could do the rigging like a cavalry saddle or a fred hook saddle on any saddle... I currently ride in a fred hook trail saddle, it has adjustable rigging so you can adjust where it rides on your horse. Thank you in advance for any info!

Thanks for posting the photo of my saddle Joel. I was going to do it but you beat me to the punch.

Frank

Thats it! Thank You! I have been trying to find as much info on the internet as possible but it is a hard one to find much info on, or im not looking in the right spots! Is there any kind of tutorial or book that talks in depth on making these types of saddles?

Thank You

Tony

Hello from Sweden.

There isn´t much info to find on the web about Santa Fe/mountainman saddles except "Man Made Mobile" www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontributions/.../pdf_lo/SSHT-0039.pdf

I have built a couple of mountainman saddles for members of the Scandinavian mountainmen, there are pics from one of them here: http://www.scandinavianmountainmen.se/index.php?action=viewarticle&aid=37

I built me a light weight trail saddle last week, nothing fancy, just a plain saddle for the mountains. The scale showed 22 lbs .

A Pony Express tree , a mexican single rigging, old style mexican fenders and wooden dog house stirrups. The skirts are minimal, just a half inch wider than the bars

I used a tin strainer with two layers of skived leather under the seat leather.

I rode it for the first time today and it was a good ride, I´m satisfied!

/ Knut

post-5173-028338400 1304457242_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

Recommend you get a copy of "They Saddled the West" (possibly at your local library.. This book as a pretty good description of the santa fe and has a

couple of excellent pictures. Also, recommend Timberline Saddle Tree Co, Vernal, Utah for the style tree you will ned. Good luck

Hello from Sweden.

There isn´t much info to find on the web about Santa Fe/mountainman saddles except "Man Made Mobile" www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontributions/.../pdf_lo/SSHT-0039.pdf

I have built a couple of mountainman saddles for members of the Scandinavian mountainmen, there are pics from one of them here: http://www.scandinav...warticle&aid=37

I built me a light weight trail saddle last week, nothing fancy, just a plain saddle for the mountains. The scale showed 22 lbs .

A Pony Express tree , a mexican single rigging, old style mexican fenders and wooden dog house stirrups. The skirts are minimal, just a half inch wider than the bars

I used a tin strainer with two layers of skived leather under the seat leather.

I rode it for the first time today and it was a good ride, I´m satisfied!

/ Knut

Wow that looks great.......excellent job!!!!!!

Where are you getting your doghouse stirrups??

Tim

Wow that looks great.......excellent job!!!!!!

Where are you getting your doghouse stirrups??

Tim

Hi Tim

I bought the dog house stirrups from Dave Carrico , Carrico Leatherworks www.carricoleather.com

I also made hair on pommelbags and saddlebags for the saddle,

/Knut

post-5173-096715000 1304516938_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the advice! I have been packing in the Bob Marshall Wilderness for the past 6 years and thought the Santa Fe saddles would add a little more purpose to everything, I am trying to make a complete custom saddle without reinventing the saddle! Thank You guys for all the Advice and your guys work looks absolutely amazing, I only hope mine turns out half as good as your guys! Mine is probably going to be a long time in the making just because I unfortunately have a full time job and family so this is more of a hobby right now.... Thanks Again for the info it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony

Here's a pic of my Santa Fe style saddle that I rebuilt. The mochilla is nice and you can build saddle pockets into it as well.

Tim

post-5218-093199200 1304553954_thumb.jpg