I bought this old machine a few weeks ago. Just got the head & motor for it.

I had an original Singer 1/3hp 1750 rpm motor/clutch from another purchase some time back.

I ended up with,what looks like, a table from a surger I think.

The plan is to set the #7 down in the table flush with the center of the deck on the head itself.

These pics are from a phone and aren't so good

I've got it this far and took the table to have brackets made so it has something to set on inside the table after the hole is cut.

I've also got the clutch/ motor mounted under the table (no pic yet

post-19538-003545100 1304528371_thumb.jp

post-19538-095605500 1304528544_thumb.jp

Edited by simran

that thing is huge! What does it weigh? I love it by the way.... how thick of a material can that sew through?

I've heard the head alone is 160+ I know it's a handful alone.

There are those out there that can pipe in here that are more familiar than I with this machine; but I think the foot lift is around 3/4".

I've heard it will stitch through 9/16" of material maybe a little more.

That said' I've heard they can be modified to stitch much heavier material by advancing the foot lift to over an inch somehow.

I know it will sew through the Sunday addition of the newspaper folded over but the needle gets pretty warm as it has

a needle point needle in it rather than a chisel point.

I need it to finish the packs I make from canvas & leather. By the time I fold over a pocket lid trimmed in leather so I can

stitch it on it is more than my current machine can handle.

I also wanted the ability to work on horse tack & harness.

This should do nicely; especially for what I paid for it.

A hobby guy can't afford to spend thousands on a machine.

Edited by simran

There must be a surplus of class 7 machines in SD. I also picked one up a while back . It should work good for your canvas bags, from the info I have gathered , that is what they were used for. Mine is a 7-5. I wonder what the difference is ? I'm guessing mine is older ??? My wife printed off an instruction manual for a class 7 for me , let me know if you need it and i'll find the web site for you. I have been looking for a lift arm for mine as it is missing. so I can't use it . Know of any parts machines ??? I'm in eastern SD , Where are you ? -------------------Bill

There must be a surplus of class 7 machines in SD. I also picked one up a while back . It should work good for your canvas bags, from the info I have gathered , that is what they were used for. Mine is a 7-5. I wonder what the difference is ? I'm guessing mine is older ??? My wife printed off an instruction manual for a class 7 for me , let me know if you need it and i'll find the web site for you. I have been looking for a lift arm for mine as it is missing. so I can't use it . Know of any parts machines ??? I'm in eastern SD , Where are you ? -------------------Bill

Bill,

This machine came from Wisconsin. I've been working there since before Christmas.

As for the difference between the two machines I can't say. I know that the 7-31 is identical to the 7-33 excepting the drive is different. The 7-31 was built with a clutch on the machine head to accommodate being powered by an overhead - flat belt - system. Mine, however has been converted to a table powered model but does still have remnants of the old clutch plate still attached to the balance wheel. It has a v belt pulley on it now.

Don't quote me on this but I think the 7-4 was a book binding machine. The book I looked at had references to the 7-5 as sewing canvas & leather. Maybe the difference is as simple as the foot lifting higher. Some of the models were built to accommodate thicker material.

What is the foot lift on your machine?

As far as parts I have none but you may want to PM Sewmun on this forum. I've read posts of his on another site. He knows a great deal about these old monster flat beds. He may have some parts machines around as well.

I PMed you about my location. We may have to get together some time.

It looks nearly identical to my Adler 20-2. I've been told that there is a Singer that is virtually identical so I am hoping one of the experts will tell me if this is it. With a bit of tinkering I have my 20-2 sewing 7/8 inchsof harness leather.

I bought this old machine a few weeks ago. Just got the head & motor for it.

I had an original Singer 1/3hp 1750 rpm motor/clutch from another purchase some time back.

I ended up with,what looks like, a table from a surger I think.

The plan is to set the #7 down in the table flush with the center of the deck on the head itself.

These pics are from a phone and aren't so good

I've got it this far and took the table to have brackets made so it has something to set on inside the table after the hole is cut.

I've also got the clutch/ motor mounted under the table (no pic yet

The foot lifts about an inch , but it is hard to tell because there is no lift lever (it is missing ) Mine has also been converted to a table. --------------------------Bill

Bill,

This machine came from Wisconsin. I've been working there since before Christmas.

As for the difference between the two machines I can't say. I know that the 7-31 is identical to the 7-33 excepting the drive is different. The 7-31 was built with a clutch on the machine head to accommodate being powered by an overhead - flat belt - system. Mine, however has been converted to a table powered model but does still have remnants of the old clutch plate still attached to the balance wheel. It has a v belt pulley on it now.

Don't quote me on this but I think the 7-4 was a book binding machine. The book I looked at had references to the 7-5 as sewing canvas & leather. Maybe the difference is as simple as the foot lifting higher. Some of the models were built to accommodate thicker material.

What is the foot lift on your machine?

As far as parts I have none but you may want to PM Sewmun on this forum. I've read posts of his on another site. He knows a great deal about these old monster flat beds. He may have some parts machines around as well.

I PMed you about my location. We may have to get together some time.

You must be talking about the knee lift, because the machine does have the hand lever on it. It is the lever on top of the machine above the presser bar, not behind the machine like the smaller machines. I have the cylinder arm version of this machine, 11-29. It would sew thru 5/8 easily and 3/4 if you turn the machine by hand. My motor was a little to fast for going thru real heavy leather.

The foot lifts about an inch , but it is hard to tell because there is no lift lever (it is missing ) Mine has also been converted to a table. --------------------------Bill

Hi Catskin,

Your Adler 20-2 is normal lift version sewing up to 16 mm. with needle 794 u. The Adler 20 subclasses; 20-6a, A 20-7 (7a), A 20-8a has a lift on 40 mm, using the Schmetz 1000 H needle system.

The successor the class 120 in now again made by a German company; SL-Spezialnaehmaschinenbau Limbach GmbH & Co. KG. On license from Dürkopp Adler, together with the famous Adler class 30 shoe repair machine. The Adler 120-30 is a real monster machine, sewing up to 26 mm thick. However, it cost more than a new Mercedes Benz.

http://www.sl-spezial.de/sl/index.php/company.html

Watch and enjoy.

Trox

It looks nearly identical to my Adler 20-2. I've been told that there is a Singer that is virtually identical so I am hoping one of the experts will tell me if this is it. With a bit of tinkering I have my 20-2 sewing 7/8 inchsof harness leather.

Thanks Trox.

This one tough old machine I replaced the leather belt drive with a chain by doing a little machineing to mount sprockets and made a speed reducer now it wil start off through 7/8 inch hard leather like its not there. No belt slipping like there was.

Hi Catskin,

Your Adler 20-2 is normal lift version sewing up to 16 mm. with needle 794 u. The Adler 20 subclasses; 20-6a, A 20-7 (7a), A 20-8a has a lift on 40 mm, using the Schmetz 1000 H needle system.

The successor the class 120 in now again made by a German company; SL-Spezialnaehmaschinenbau Limbach GmbH & Co. KG. On license from Dürkopp Adler, together with the famous Adler class 30 shoe repair machine. The Adler 120-30 is a real monster machine, sewing up to 26 mm thick. However, it cost more than a new Mercedes Benz.

http://www.sl-spezia...hp/company.html

Watch and enjoy.

Trox

Hi Catskin,

Great, I love to see a picture of that machine. My hobby is to rebuild big German machines, but mostly cylinder bed machines that I can use in my leatherwork. Here is some pictures of two Adler 20`s, that was offered me as garden decorations. They did not have the right feed (no waking foot), but they both had high lift. To much rust, and long drive made me leaving them to die. They had that special hand wheel gear you might like to have on your machine.

Trox.

Thanks Trox.

This one tough old machine I replaced the leather belt drive with a chain by doing a little machineing to mount sprockets and made a speed reducer now it wil start off through 7/8 inch hard leather like its not there. No belt slipping like there was.

post-10237-054824200 1328017428_thumb.jp

post-10237-036343900 1328017472_thumb.jp

Hi Catskin,

Great, I love to see a picture of that machine. My hobby is to rebuild big German machines, but mostly cylinder bed machines that I can use in my leatherwork. Here is some pictures of two Adler 20`s, that was offered me as garden decorations. They did not have the right feed (no waking foot), but they both had high lift. To much rust, and long drive made me leaving them to die. They had that special hand wheel gear you might like to have on your machine.

Trox.

I have a couple Adler 20 class machines laying around our shop here...never seen that geared drive on the handwheel before like that.

Hi Gregg,

Kochs Adler used that gear drive on several old models. On old class 4 and 5. And on an older flat bed saddler machine too (it is maybe a class 3, I do not know). I guess I was wrong about the feed on the Adler 20`s, the black one has a walking foot (see the presser foot bar without a foot on, the green one also have a hole for a extra presser bar) Those Adler 20 machines are not good on leather, to big and clumsy feet’s.

Trox

I have a couple Adler 20 class machines laying around our shop here...never seen that geared drive on the handwheel before like that.

post-10237-027298500 1328055412_thumb.jp

A13.pdf

Adler 120- 8a feed with the front presser foot attached

post-10237-052966400 1328055902_thumb.jp

Hi Gregg,

Kochs Adler used that gear drive on several old models. On old class 4 and 5. And on an older flat bed saddler machine too (it is maybe a class 3, I do not know). I guess I was wrong about the feed on the Adler 20`s, the black one has a walking foot (see the presser foot bar without a foot on, the green one also have a hole for a extra presser bar) Those Adler 20 machines are not good on leather, to big and clumsy feet's.

Trox

Yeah, look at that thing. That gear is massive. Singer never did anything like that. At least, I've seen it.

Ha!! just a little bit of surface rust. ;)

With the lack of unusual machines around here I would have driven a long way or organized freight to pick those up.

I have actually sketched up a hand crank drive for a GR5-1 using that sort of gearing but with the balance wheel mounted at the front.

Hi Catskin,

Trox.

Hi Darren,

I made a choice. I do not have unlimited space to store them, or time to restore them. I decided to buy some other machines with cylinder bed instead. However, it was not an easy choice, they are very special, and do their work very well if restored. A new machine with the same rating will cost a fortune. Nevertheless, there is no marked for them here in Norway.

I can fill up a 40-foot’s container with old sewing machines and ship them down to you Darren. Those machine like Singer 29K 31- 15, 99, 66 sells for nothing her. They sell them for 45 $ in a second hand/ antique shop. When sold private, less than that. Here is a complete sewing shop for sale 49000 NOK (8450 USD). http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=32895008 The machines are not leather working, they are old but in good working conditions (click on the picture to see them all).

This shop has been for sale for a long time, and nobody wants it. The Norwegians has too much money, nobody want to work as an artisan any more.

We import all the stuff we need, the only thing we produce here is Oil, gas (bio plastic from oil) and fish. People like me, who works with their hands, do it because they love it, not for the money.

Nearly every week I see a story like this; a shoe repair shop or such for sale for less than nothing does.

(I have a complete shoe repair shop for sale my self, the owner went bankrupt and I help him rescuing his machines. Stored them in a friend’s rental stock. The owner could not pay any rent, he owns my friend four years of storage fees. We have to sell all his machines to cover the bill. The shop owner has disappeared, moved to a foreign country, nobody have heard from him since) this is a very sad but common story here in Norway; the cost of producing is too high to make a business.

Then again, it is no marked for second hands machines anymore. (The only machines who sells are big leatherworking ones with cylinder bed and such).

I have to take this in account when buying a machine to refurbish. I past on many machines like the Adler 20 and the Singer 7. Three to four years ago they was worth something, but with all the cheap Chinese machines doing the job for a fraction of the price, they will not sell anymore.

Ask the USA dealer.

Gregg;

when was the last time you sold one like that.

Find me a marked and I start to collect them.

Trox

Ha!! just a little bit of surface rust. ;)

With the lack of unusual machines around here I would have driven a long way or organized freight to pick those up.

I have actually sketched up a hand crank drive for a GR5-1 using that sort of gearing but with the balance wheel mounted at the front.

If I had a stack of free funds I am crazy enough to take you up on that offer :brainbleach:

If I had no conscience I could probably sell 3 monster machines a week to people for fixing heavy horse rugs.

Hi Darren,

I made a choice. I do not have unlimited space to store them, or time to restore them. I decided to buy some other machines with cylinder bed instead. However, it was not an easy choice, they are very special, and do their work very well if restored. A new machine with the same rating will cost a fortune. Nevertheless, there is no marked for them here in Norway.

I can fill up a 40-foot's container with old sewing machines and ship them down to you Darren. Those machine like Singer 29K 31- 15, 99, 66 sells for nothing her. They sell them for 45 $ in a second hand/ antique shop. When sold private, less than that. Here is a complete sewing shop for sale 49000 NOK (8450 USD). http://www.finn.no/f...nnkode=32895008 The machines are not leather working, they are old but in good working conditions (click on the picture to see them all).

This shop has been for sale for a long time, and nobody wants it. The Norwegians has too much money, nobody want to work as an artisan any more.

We import all the stuff we need, the only thing we produce here is Oil, gas (bio plastic from oil) and fish. People like me, who works with their hands, do it because they love it, not for the money.

Nearly every week I see a story like this; a shoe repair shop or such for sale for less than nothing does.

(I have a complete shoe repair shop for sale my self, the owner went bankrupt and I help him rescuing his machines. Stored them in a friend's rental stock. The owner could not pay any rent, he owns my friend four years of storage fees. We have to sell all his machines to cover the bill. The shop owner has disappeared, moved to a foreign country, nobody have heard from him since) this is a very sad but common story here in Norway; the cost of producing is too high to make a business.

Then again, it is no marked for second hands machines anymore. (The only machines who sells are big leatherworking ones with cylinder bed and such).

I have to take this in account when buying a machine to refurbish. I past on many machines like the Adler 20 and the Singer 7. Three to four years ago they was worth something, but with all the cheap Chinese machines doing the job for a fraction of the price, they will not sell anymore.

Ask the USA dealer.

Gregg;

when was the last time you sold one like that.

Find me a marked and I start to collect them.

Trox

Hi,

I am new to this forum, have been working in leather for a few years, making saddles etc, mostly by hand. Have recently bought an Adler 20-2. There is an oil box on the back of the machine, does anyone know of its function? Does there exist any operating manuals for it? //Vincent in Sweden

HI Vincent,

please post a picture of it. Its probably a thread lube box, but then again. I have to see it before answering. The only documentations I know of is on this blog; of Thomas Brinkhoff, head of spare parts Dürkopp Adler. http://sew24.blogspot.no/p/downloads.html

I thinks its only part books available for it. However, you could maybe learn something from reading about its successor the Adler 120.

Good luck

Tor

That Adler 120-30 is gonna be my next sewing machine...woooohaaaaaaa.....what a horse of a machine.....loved the video!!

That Adler 120-30 is gonna be my next sewing machine...woooohaaaaaaa.....what a horse of a machine.....loved the video!!

Hello Jim, be prepared to open your check book, these monsters cost around 200 000,00 Euro. Thats an absurd price for a sewing machine. However, its hand made on license from DA.

Tor

Hi there,

I recall seeing a few years back a new machine that had come into the shop where I get my needles etc. and decided to take a couple of pics.

I think this may be the equivalent to the heavy Adler 230 and the singer.

These cost an arm and a leg to buy here so I hate to think what they would cost brand new.

Cheers

Trevor "Way Down Under"

post-2565-0-10872200-1376473599_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-14628900-1376473601_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-32935400-1376473603_thumb.jp

Hi Trevor

is that Sewingtime in Newmarket?...what did they want for this Seiko?

email me regarding needles

cheers

Hi there,

I recall seeing a few years back a new machine that had come into the shop where I get my needles etc. and decided to take a couple of pics.

I think this may be the equivalent to the heavy Adler 230 and the singer.

These cost an arm and a leg to buy here so I hate to think what they would cost brand new.

Cheers

Trevor "Way Down Under"

Hi, yes thats a copy of the Singer 27 B2B http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/27b.htm . I believe it has a higher lift and uses needle system 1000. Seiko was made in Japan, but now I think they are made in China too. These machines are much cheaper that the Adler 120. I know of one original Adler 120 for sale (brand new, unused) here in Norway.

Tor