DJ1935

Workshop Fairies

We have them. As soon as a rivet, stud or other small, shiny object is dropped on the floor the Fairies grab it and it's gone. They are so quick you never see them but they are lurking there waiting their chance. Their close relatives, the Bench Fairies, come out at night and take any small, shiny item from the bench - never to be seen again. I suspect these Fairies also interfere with machinery, as any sewing machine left working perfectly at 5pm will sew like a hairy goat the following morning.

They seem to be harmless but can be very frustrating. I've tried blocking up the space under the bench with timber but this hasnt been much of a deterrent and the small articles I drop still disapear in the blink of an eye. Their taste for bits and pieces isnt limited just to leather hardware either. Just today I heard my Husband muttering as he grovelled on his hands and knees, peering under his engineering bench..............................!

DJ

DJ i think i have a whole family of Faries living in my shop. Not only do mine take small shiny things but big shiny things like knives, tooling tools and edgers and hide them. So far they haven't messed with my sewing machines. But at my other shop they did mess with one machine and i haven't got it fixed yet.

When my shop foreman Happy Man was puppy he would grab anything that hit the floor and be gone before you had a chance to even look to see what it was. I still have one edger missing and it was took 2 years ago. I feel your pain !

We have Norman. Whenever something goes not so right, Norman did it. Norman has saved my marriage and kept the kids alive whenever they have ventured into the shop, usually for screwdriver or pliers. Norman however, did get a vintage ('90s) Chuck Smith swivel knife from me that I have never recovered, of course I switched to Bob Beard and have never looked for the CS knife again (yes, Bob's knives are that good). As I acquire more and more of the accouterments of the leatherworking trade, Norman gets more active. I recently found a copy of Salaman's tools that Norman had pilfered, he always seems to give stuff back shortly after I have bought a replacement.

Art

DJ i think i have a whole family of Faries living in my shop. Not only do mine take small shiny things but big shiny things like knives, tooling tools and edgers and hide them. So far they haven't messed with my sewing machines. But at my other shop they did mess with one machine and i haven't got it fixed yet.

When my shop foreman Happy Man was puppy he would grab anything that hit the floor and be gone before you had a chance to even look to see what it was. I still have one edger missing and it was took 2 years ago. I feel your pain !

mine like to hide small hardware (like snap parts) 'til I'm walking around the shop with no shoes on.

Yup.

Used to have fairies, until I got my three cats. They chased the fairies away. Now, I have to deal with three cats in the shop.

I think I want my fairies back. head_hurts_kr.gif

Cats in the shop is another good reason not to walk around barefoot!!!

Mike

I have to agree with Art. I have several fairies in the shop, that seem to only give things back when I buy a new one. I expect to see my #2 edge beveler back any day now, since I bought one this weekend.

Mine seem to redraw stitch lines on my patterns when I'm not looking......

Mine hid all the bobbins for my harness machine during my workshop move... they gave them back the minute I shelled out a fortune for 6 new ones. sigh... They still have more stuff than I want to think about including my copy of Purses in Pieces that I need for a job.

Is there no end to their nonsense?

Ray

Ray your lucky !!! You got your bobbins back. I still have a round knife 2 pound spools of thread, and a couple of books that haven't shown up and it's been all most 7 years. But i did have the faries bring back some strainer plates one time right after i bought some more and they put them right where i went to set the new ones...LOL.

I think you all need some clarification here. It is entirely unfair to attribute these actions to fairies in general. There are many good fairies out there and you are casting slurs upon them. No wonder you have problems. While some of these instances may be caused by mischievious pixies, I think most of these are caused by Gremlins, who are known to delight in causing all kinds of problems, but particularly these involving sewing machines. I suggest you tidy up your shops and try to entice some Brownies to move in - they will keep the Gremlins out if they are kept happy.

Last time I tidied up the shop, well, I couldn't find things for about a week (seems like it took about that much time for the shop to get untidy or shall we say normal again).

Art

I think you all need some clarification here. It is entirely unfair to attribute these actions to fairies in general. There are many good fairies out there and you are casting slurs upon them. No wonder you have problems. While some of these instances may be caused by mischievious pixies, I think most of these are caused by Gremlins, who are known to delight in causing all kinds of problems, but particularly these involving sewing machines. I suggest you tidy up your shops and try to entice some Brownies to move in - they will keep the Gremlins out if they are kept happy.

I have always blamed my missing things on the 'borrowers'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borrowers for those of you who haven't had an english mothers reading list..

Fairies / pixies are who alter or break things when you aren't looking.

Natalie

I read the borrowers series when I was a kid. I loved it! Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Well I've been plagued by the devils but finally I caught one!!! It was just disappearing out of the workshop with a piece of leather in it's mouth!

What do you reckon, fairy, pixie or gremlin?

IMG_7272sml.JPG

lol...id say sighthound...which is a hybrid mix of fairy and gremlin....we have a lurcher who i swear also has a dash of ghoulie just for good measure

lol...id say sighthound...which is a hybrid mix of fairy and gremlin....we have a lurcher who i swear also has a dash of ghoulie just for good measure

I think you've got it in one! :-) This one must be crossed with a Banshee too.

Lurchers are quite unusual in the States aren't they?

i think so....she is bigger than a whippet and smaller than a greyhound, she has an overcoat that is wiry in texture and is 2 inches long along her spine. her base color is white with black spots and face markings like a rat terrier.