Denise

Responding to customer's requests

A comment was made that the suppliers make what they make and it is hard to get them to change when something is not quite right. They are hoping that the majority will work and that is what they are after.

Okiwen made this statement in a thread about sewing machines, but it has had me thinking all day. For any of us who sell items we make, we are the supplier for someone out there. So my questions are: How much do you change what you do at a buyer's request? If you know it will affect function negatively, do you still do it? What about making something that will be difficult to sell to someone else if the buyer decides they don't like what they asked for? What positives and pitfalls have you found in responding to customer's requests?

If you advertise yourself as a custom maker of _________, how can you not to a great extent, all things considered?

You bring up some good points to consider. Safety and function are some major points. If it's going to make the item unsafe to use, then I don't do it. If it limits the function of the item, I generally will not do it.

Most folks solve the "truly custom item that won't sell to anyone else" issue by making it non-refundable when they sell it to the original customer. This puts the responsibility on the buyer as to whether or not the change/addition is worth it. I generally will refund a customer's purchase. I have one item in my shop where that recently happened. The customer came to the shop, picked out what they wanted, picked out the colors (which were hideous) they wanted after looking at samples. When they got it, they stated it wasn't what they ordered. Obviously it was, but IMO it would do no good to argue the point with the customer. Hopefully some day someone will come in and will see it and find it to their liking.

In the vast majority of instances, I've found that responding positively to a customer's request turns out really well. I learned early on that by listening to those requests reflects that the customer oftentimes knows best what will work for them, especially if it's a functional-type modification. I had one instance where a customer wanted a functional change on a product, and I honestly thought it would not work. After pestering from the customer, I went ahead and made it. He was very pleased with it and showed it off on a number of forums. It was an instant hit, and since that time I've made approximately 2000 of them.

In short, discuss any concerns you may have with the customer. Sometimes though, you just have to take the leap and go with what they want.

I'm a production sheath maker, 300+ sheaths a week.

We have a standard from which I will not budge... 'FIRST CLASS OR SCRAP." Regardless whether my mark is stamped on the sheath or the customer's, he and I both know who made them and he'll quickly forget the conversation where I agreed to compromise on quality under the pressure of a customer complaint.

That strict adherence to a quality standard has lost me sales but a reputation for high quality is far more valuable to me.

There are customers who have asked me if there is a way for the job to be done "Cheaper?"

I respond that they can most certainly find someone who will do it for less money.

The issue in this industry is that since the majority of people in leatherworking see it as a hobby, they don't have the overhead expenses nor do they really need to make money doing it. A Hobby Leatherworker will be very happy pursuing his interest on someone elses dime, working on free leather is the perfect setup.

There's nothing wrong with that and many hobbyists far more talented than than I am when it comes right down to it. I design sheaths to be manufactured efficiently to assure me a profit, hand cutting parts and saddle stitching are chores to me where they are a source of recreation and relaxation to the hobby maker.

I don't change what I do, I design sheaths to meet my customer's specifications so long as the overall quality meets my standards, when they want less, I pass on the job and concentrate on doing what we do best.

I may never get rich doing it that way, but I'll sleep well at night and live with pride in every sheath that bears my mark.

My comment was specifically addressing changes that would improve quality. I would hope that as I improve in saddlemaking and holster making that I would be open-minded enough to see that perhaps a customers suggestion might really be to my benefit. I was able to suggest something to the man that is teaching me to make saddles and he adopted it with out another word. I not only appreciated his trust in me but it really made an improvement in his product and his customers will reap the benefits as well.

I also believe that to be a CUSTOM maker you need to be a bit CUSTOM. Or, your just a limited production manufacterer. I don't think I would ever produce something that would affect function negatively. I would just pass on the job.

Okiwen made this statement in a thread about sewing machines, but it has had me thinking all day. For any of us who sell items we make, we are the supplier for someone out there. So my questions are: How much do you change what you do at a buyer's request? If you know it will affect function negatively, do you still do it? What about making something that will be difficult to sell to someone else if the buyer decides they don't like what they asked for? What positives and pitfalls have you found in responding to customer's requests?

At one time I ran my business using the ideology that the customer was always right and attempted to meet everyone's needs.

My ideology has changed. Customers may be right or may be wrong. I have learned many things and have tried and adopted new techniques and business practices based on the unique needs of some customers - I also regularly "fire" customers that are difficult, don't want to listen to reason, expect the impossible etc. I simply let them know that I recognize that I cannot fulfill their needs and gently suggest that they find someone else to help them.

When I do go out of my way to assist someone with a special need that I determine is acceptable I generally ask for payment before I incur any expense.

Jennifer

I do change things somewhat, and on occasion quite a lot, but there are certain parameters I must work with since I use horsehair. Sometimes though a customer comes up with a great idea, and I will use it as a new product in my line! One item in particular has turned out to be very popular. It often pays to listen carefully to the customer and see what they want.

That said there are things I won't do. Sometimes people send me pictures of some other artist's work and want me to make one "just like that". I always tell them that if they really like that artist's work, they should go with that artist. There are only so many ways to make a bracelet but I don't copy someone else - there is always something different about my work. Also if the functionality is affected I won't do it, or will at least explain at length what the problem is. One lady had a horse that died and the hair was just in really bad shape - he must have been sick for a long time before he died because he did not have healthy hair. I explained to her that it would not wear well at all, and that she really should just put in a picture frame with a picture of him and enjoy it that way. She agreed... so I made the bracelet.

Oh yes, and I ALWAYS charge ahead of time for any custom work. Not just half either, I MUST be fully paid BEFORE I will start the job. This is hard work and takes a lot of time. I learned long ago that if I did not have this policy, I would end up hanging on to things for a very long time. That does not work for me at all! Since I have changed my policy I STILL have so many orders I can hardly keep up with it, no matter how hard I work, so I really think it was the best thing for me to do.

Customer service is king in our business. Offering lots of options has a very real positive affect on how you are viewed. I have had a couple of people who did not like the holster for some reason and took it back gladly... they ended up getting something else and generally some additional items and became happy customers.

So in the end, you need to determine if what the customer is asking will cause your product not to function safely. If it won't be safe, I won't sell/make it.

I have had a time or too where thinking, "Why in the heck would they want to do that!" I end up making it for them and they love it but I would never be able to resell it without modification. If it is one that won't be able to be resold, I make it with a no return or 1/2 price for restocking fee.

Good example for me is one customer that I have made several holsters for with out exact forms for. I gather all the dimensions of the gun, check my forms inventory and see is something is close. If not, look around the house to make my own forms for it. I have another order coming from this customer which is #5 so I can't complain :thumbsup:

I specialize in building pack saddles and all the related equipment. I like to get feedback from my customers and suggestions on improving things and have used customer ideas for improving my product. I am willing to make changes to my regular line for a customer as long as it's not unsafe, or if it's something I would be embarrassed to put my name on. Generally folks will need to pay extra for the extra time involved in me figuring out how to implement their idea, although if it isn't too big a deal and it's a regular customer I might not. Over the years I've incorporated a number of these ideas into my regular stuff. If I end up using it on a regular basis I try to remember to thank the customer for their idea, maybe a card or perhaps a little discount on their next order if it's really a terrific idea. I try to keep an open mind.