Skald

Rubberlike Edge Coating, What Is It?

Chemico sell rubbing paste and cleaning compounds in the UK, what did you say the web site was?

Edited by Japi

You should check out the Giadini website!  www.leatheredgepaint.com.    I think this looks like the nearest thing to the real deal you or I are going to get.

Thanks, I bought it and like it ok but lately I'm burnishing and waxing instead.  I like the finish.  Just a lot of work.

On 5/8/2011 at 1:24 AM, stelmackr said:

I've been experimenting with some acrylic mediums and have a little PDF file on what I have found:

edge_finishes_for_chrome_tanned_leather.pdfUnavailable

There is a particular acrylic medium (Clear Tar Gel) that does have a rubber like feel to it. All the acrylic mediums can be simply colored with acrylic paints (ie. black, brown) or left clear.

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Would you upload this file again, please

Who cares what Hermes would do.  They are mass producing for people that are buying mediocre quality and a name.

"Also, I think it somewhat cheapens the product in some cases. I've noticed a lot of mass produced items use this rubberized coating technique. Just my 2 cents."

Totally agree.   Edge paint seems to me like nothing more than a way to not have to bother finishing edges.  I like the look of a finished natural edge.

On 11/17/2016 at 9:23 AM, MarlysRae said:

Thanks, I bought it and like it ok but lately I'm burnishing and waxing instead.  I like the finish.  Just a lot of work.

Yeah, no free lunch out there.  You want something look like it was made by someone who cared then you have to put some work into it.

I mainly use Fenice and Uniters. But I have two different primers for Uniters (I don't use them though) EP FILLER and EP FULL. EP FULL one coat and one coat EP2000 give a rounded edge that seems to be durable. I haven't tried how durable though. I go the long route (sanding edges rounded, paint a layer and heat it, paint 4-5 more coats with sanding in between and finish with melting wax and burnish.) Time consuming but durable.

See example with EP-FULL (Polyurethane) at the bottom

Uniters.JPG

One coat of EP Full, One coat of EP2000, light sanding with 800 grit and polished with some paraffin wax.

EPFULL_EP2000.JPG

Edited by Danne

On 7/1/2021 at 2:18 PM, Danne said:

I mainly use Fenice and Uniters. But I have two different primers for Uniters (I don't use them though) EP FILLER and EP FULL. EP FULL one coat and one coat EP2000 give a rounded edge that seems to be durable. I haven't tried how durable though. I go the long route (sanding edges rounded, paint a layer and heat it, paint 4-5 more coats with sanding in between and finish with melting wax and burnish.) Time consuming but durable.

See example with EP-FULL (Polyurethane) at the bottom

Uniters.JPG

One coat of EP Full, One coat of EP2000, light sanding with 800 grit and polished with some paraffin wax.

EPFULL_EP2000.JPG

Beautiful edge.