Big K

Sewing Machine

I've been offered an early treadle type Singer patch machine (for basically nothing), but before I accept it and go to the trouble of moving the thing, is this an adequate machine for basic holster and sheath making? I've stitched with a sewing awl in the past but this seems like this would be a positive step up if I wanted to try getting into it a little more seriously. Any comments/advice greatly appreciated.

The price is right, take it. It won't sew much more than a couple pieces or 8 oz with 69 (some will sew 138) with a bobbin the size of squirrel nuts. But there are some things it will do that almost nothing else will. If you stick to it's limits and have a little patience setting it up, it should treat you well. Get it and give us a shout.

Art

I've been offered an early treadle type Singer patch machine (for basically nothing), but before I accept it and go to the trouble of moving the thing, is this an adequate machine for basic holster and sheath making? I've stitched with a sewing awl in the past but this seems like this would be a positive step up if I wanted to try getting into it a little more seriously. Any comments/advice greatly appreciated.

Patch machines rock, they are like a relique from past times, being build like a rock.....yet filligree in its mechanic's....almost a piece of art, a sculpture in it's own way!

They make "normal" people look, kids smile and leather guys like us drool....oh and did I mention they sew too!!

Lets just say you have a spot reserved on your biker leather jacket just for that absolutly cool looking skull patch of the year....guess what....only a patcher can sew that.....!!

and lets just say you have other machines in your shop.....put that extra threadle patcher in a corner for all to see....saying: look, I have something special.....

I just sold not long ago a mint ADLER patcher and still kicking me into the "beehind" every day.....!!

Aloha

James

I've been offered an early treadle type Singer patch machine (for basically nothing), but before I accept it and go to the trouble of moving the thing, is this an adequate machine for basic holster and sheath making? ... Any comments/advice greatly appreciated.

An old Singer patcher, especially a 100 year old 29-4, will only sew up to 1/4" of leather and is not much good with anything thicker than #92 thread. Furthermore, the stitch length declines as you increase the thickness beyond 6 to 8 ounces. A brand new condition patcher may be able to sew 5 stitches per inch, at 6 - 8 ounces. This drops to about 7 or 8 to the inch at 16 ounces. If the feed mechanism is not in mint condition, your maximum stitch length will be considerably less, on both ends. I have seen worn out Singer 29-4 patchers that barely sewed 8 to the inch at 6 ounces.

Thin thread and close stitches is not what most holster makers use. It will not do a good job on knife sheathes either. The feed is performed by a rotating pressor foot, with teeth on its bottom, which pulls the material to its rear position, then jumps forward for the next stitch. These teeth leave noticeable marks once you set enough pressure to grab and pull the leather. The pressor foot and needle only clear a maximum of 5/16 inch. The foot must have at least 1/16" clearance above the material to jump forward after pulling the material back, limiting the sewing to 1/4" maximum.

I recommend bring some leather strips with you and testing the machine to ensure the feed and stitch length mechanism isn't shot.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Wiz is right.

These are called patchers for a reason. They work well patching in places you'd never dream of sewing with another machine. The stitch length is definitely dictated by the thickness of the material you are sewing. That said, I wish I'd not have sold the one I had. They are as handy as the tail on a horse in fly season. Go get the dern thing and fiddle with it but don't expect to sew any holsters with it. There will come a day when you'll be dern glad you've got it.

sim

An old Singer patcher, especially a 100 year old 29-4, will only sew up to 1/4" of leather and is not much good with anything thicker than #92 thread. Furthermore, the stitch length declines as you increase the thickness beyond 6 to 8 ounces. A brand new condition patcher may be able to sew 5 stitches per inch, at 6 - 8 ounces. This drops to about 7 or 8 to the inch at 16 ounces. If the feed mechanism is not in mint condition, your maximum stitch length will be considerably less, on both ends. I have seen worn out Singer 29-4 patchers that barely sewed 8 to the inch at 6 ounces.

Thin thread and close stitches is not what most holster makers use. It will not do a good job on knife sheathes either. The feed is performed by a rotating pressor foot, with teeth on its bottom, which pulls the material to its rear position, then jumps forward for the next stitch. These teeth leave noticeable marks once you set enough pressure to grab and pull the leather. The pressor foot and needle only clear a maximum of 5/16 inch. The foot must have at least 1/16" clearance above the material to jump forward after pulling the material back, limiting the sewing to 1/4" maximum.

I recommend bring some leather strips with you and testing the machine to ensure the feed and stitch length mechanism isn't shot.

What they said!

Call the guy yesterday and say yes.