Sign in to follow this  
chouinardragon

Joseph Dixon Tools

Hello,

I have few questions of my new toys.

I just got my Joseph Dixon tools and found the strap pricker which is kind of different than imagined.

I thought it is used on making leather belt but it doesn't look like. Anyone knows what is it used for?

I also got some crew and hole punches and it looks blunt. Should I sharpen them before using?

I have never used pricking chisels,so I bought a no. 7,8 and 10. It is not sharped, either.

Do Dixon pricking chisels be used on marking on or pricking into leather?

Chris

Pricking Chisels are to mark the leather so you can maintain the angle and spacing with your awl.

ferg

Hello,

I have few questions of my new toys.

I just got my Joseph Dixon tools and found the strap pricker which is kind of different than imagined.

I thought it is used on making leather belt but it doesn't look like. Anyone knows what is it used for?

I also got some crew and hole punches and it looks blunt. Should I sharpen them before using?

I have never used pricking chisels,so I bought a no. 7,8 and 10. It is not sharped, either.

Do Dixon pricking chisels be used on marking on or pricking into leather?

Chris

Are you sure they are J.Dixon tools - did you buy them new

Most of my tools are Joseph Dixon and the crew, oval , hole and chisel punches have never had to be re-sharpened , they were all sharp when purchased and have stayed in perfect condition - and some of mine are 18 years old now . In my opinion Joseph dixon tools are amongst the best except knives ( try Solingen ) - if you contact them direct they will make tools to your specification with little fuss ( they made my 16/inch pricking iron )

I bought them new. I tried these punches and they did sharp.

Solingen makes round knives? I did not see it on their website.

Are you sure they are J.Dixon tools - did you buy them new

Most of my tools are Joseph Dixon and the crew, oval , hole and chisel punches have never had to be re-sharpened , they were all sharp when purchased and have stayed in perfect condition - and some of mine are 18 years old now . In my opinion Joseph dixon tools are amongst the best except knives ( try Solingen ) - if you contact them direct they will make tools to your specification with little fuss ( they made my 16/inch pricking iron )

The strap pricker is used for putting the holes in the leather billets (ie straps) on an English style saddle.

If you can't use it, I am about to order one and would purchase it from you if you still have it!

Chris,

The topic of Pricking Irons (which is whaqt you've got if you bought them from Joseph Dixon, not 'strap prickers') has come up several times in the last few years. You might find these posts useful (Gary, from Scotland brought these three together from a load of search items).

http://leatherworker...=1

They cover all sorts of things from how to use them, through value for money, etc. A load of other people contributed and you might find getting them involved helpful if these don't hit all the right spots.

Good luck,

Jerry

The strap pricker is a particular size that is used for the stitching of billets on saddles and it is made by Dixon. They are made to punch all the way through.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin

The strap pricker is a particular size that is used for the stitching of billets on saddles and it is made by Dixon. They are made to punch all the way through.

Kevin

Whoops! I dropped the ball on that one!!!! Sorry for my ignorance.

I think the links are still useful though, when it comes to pricking irons.

I would welcome some education on strap prickers.

Jerry

Hi Stacy,

Sorry for the late reply. I did not notice...

I can sell you by half price if you're still interested. it's never used because i don't know what it is used for ...

I recently located Vergez Blanchard's pricking wheel with 8,10 and 12 wheels. So, I'm planning to sell my JD no.7,8 and 10 pricking irons, of course, by half price.

Chris

Chris

The strap pricker is used for putting the holes in the leather billets (ie straps) on an English style saddle.

If you can't use it, I am about to order one and would purchase it from you if you still have it!

3 pricking irons-no.7,8 and 10 for $100 USD.

strap pricker for $35 USD.

Shipping to the US would be $20 I guess.

Chris

How much do you want for them?