Not really a brand vs brand question as much as a "what part of the hide" question.

I've been buying sides of Hermann Oak from Springfield, but it seems like I always end up with a bunch left over that isnt good enough for holsters. Sketch spots on the grain side, thin spots, necks and bellies, etc..

I need to purchase some more leather and am looking for something that will have less waste areas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I know guys who make knife sheaths and other such gear that look for "character marks" on leather......I guess it matches the rest of their work.....just kiddin....:eusa_naughty:

I buy from W&C and if I buy the "special" side, I may get some not-so attractive looking spots on it, but not bad at all.......it costs about $25 more a side for one with no marks on it....so you may be buying from a similar offering........

I never end up with any sizable pieces however, I always manage to use it up in making things other than holsters.

Edited by Rayban

Not really a brand vs brand question as much as a "what part of the hide" question.

I've been buying sides of Hermann Oak from Springfield, but it seems like I always end up with a bunch left over that isnt good enough for holsters. Sketch spots on the grain side, thin spots, necks and bellies, etc..

I need to purchase some more leather and am looking for something that will have less waste areas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FWIW, I use only a good quality shoulder leather. At one time I would hand select my leather at the local(?) Tandy........45 miles away. I won't even go there now. Mike

Edited by katsass

Wickett and craig tooling sides I have had very good luck with, even the special grades that are on sake. Still get by with only some of the belly and neck which is what your gonna get with any side.

One option that you can get is just order the backs. I think its about a dollar more per foot but if your not wasting any of the belly and what not then it may be worth it. Both WandC and HO offer this ofcourse you gotta get 10 sides from HO which may not be that bad if you know you will be using one weight like in holsters.

I've bought double shoulders from Springfield Leather and Zack White, and sides from Waterhouse, all with good results. The sides I got from Waterhouse were very consistent, and the flesh side was very smooth. I had one shoulder from Springfield that was a little rough inside in spots, but still serviceable.

Shoulders are probably best for consistency of thickness.

One thing I would be careful about with waterhouse leather is in my experience they looked great until you roughed up the flesh side or deglazed the hair side. Then all the defects and issues would start showing thru. I tried a few of there sides and double shoulders but wont go with them for vegtan anymore. Ill stick to WandC or HO (from them or springfeild or anyplace that carries HO leather). Due to price I have been going with WandC because they seem to have the best deals for the most part.

I did the same thing for quite a while, not enough volume to by grade A from Hermann Oak so I was getting the sides from Springfield. If you ask for a back the will trim the belly off, but you can still get other blemish areas. Be sure to tell them you are using it for holsters and to hand pick the clear ones. This worked sometimes for me, then others I could swear Ray Charles picked them out.

I called HO and asked them who retails grade A sides. Goliger Leather is the only retailer they knew of that did. Goliger has 6-7 oz and 8-9 oz with pasted backs in Grade A. My first order I used 90% of what I had and will probably find uses for the rest easy enough. I just got a new order and this 6-7 oz had quite a few more stretch marks which was disappointing. I've not yet inspected the 8-9 oz. I'm just going to make sure the next batch I get I will specify a hand picked back.

http://www.goligerleather.com/

+1 for W&C. Great bang for your buck. Utility sides look better tan some 'C' grade sides. Flesh was a little rough on the last one I got so I may start asking them to trim it to 8oz and paste the backs. I think I remember someone mentioning that they will do a special treatment specifically for molding work if you ask them to.

I heard W&C has a minimum order quantity? I'm not at the point where I can drop a G on hides yet.

I heard W&C has a minimum order quantity? I'm not at the point where I can drop a G on hides yet.

Have not heard that. Unless it is a new thing you can order a side at a time if you wish. HO has always had a min. order of like 10 sides I think hence why people usually pay the higher prices by going thru someplace like springfeild or gholiger. Give them a shout.

My typical order from W&C is a 7/8 Skirting Back, drum dyed black with the flesh side refinished. I've found that the best cut comes from the upper rear of the back. You would typically cut all your strap goods from the upper part of the back because the grain is the tightest and finishes oh so smooth. If I could, I would order in Double Bends and just forget about the shoulder and the belly altogether. Enjoy!

Edited by LeatherCaptain

I ended up ordering a HO side from Springfield and having them cut the belly off. Saved me about 20 bucks on the overall price even though the per foot charge increased by 1.00 a foot.

You got some wrong info.....I buy one side at a time from them.....( 800-826-6379)