broncstompinben

A Few Reatas I Braided

post-14336-058282000 1305774018_thumb.jppost-14336-036261200 1305774139_thumb.jppost-14336-090190500 1305774169_thumb.jpHere are the first three reatas I have braided. The first is one didn't turn out very well, it has one splice and only turned out to be about 33'. My second one had three splices and turned out to be sixty feet long, and my last one is 50' with one splice. I might note that between my first and second reata I watched Four Strands of Rawhide, and i think it made a significant difference in my reata braiding. I have another hide soaking in the trough and as soon as this summer snow clears up I'm going to get it going.

Nice work Ben. Not enough reatas on here if ya ask me. I have a hide set aside for one when I get the time to work on it...

You guys impacted much by this horse virus down in Utah?

Very Nice Ben. I've always wanted one and you made that want a little worse!!! Whenever I get the extra cash, I will have to get one.

Frank

Nice! I have lace rough cut for this very project. Couple of questions for you and any body else that's built reatas. Say I want to braid a 3/8ths reata. About what width and thickness do my laces need to be? Also, what kinda braiding soap, if any did you use? Did you use a core? Ive made about 25-30 whips, so I'm familiar with long strands, tamales, and associated headaches. Thanks in advance.

Great work, can't wait to see your next one. Kansas I heard canceled a big horse event due to the horse virus scare. I bet there will be alot of events canceled until they come up with a cure and vacine.

Thanks all for the comments. Here in Utah everything is cancelled for the time being, the arena where we buck our practice horses is closed, all the trainers are not accepting horses, and i'm kinda nervous what the PRCA is going to due, I've got a couple rodeos in the next couple weeks that i'd really like to go to. I sure hope this blows over soon.

i just found out about this virus from reading about it in this topic....even though there are 5 farms quarantined in nebraska because they attended the cutting there has been no mention of it in the local papers or on the radio....

Tough news on your rodeos. Everything is shut down here as well. Shows have been canceled. We had several to come in for training we had to postpone, as well as some mares we were gonna send out to breed. I coach some kids riding buckin horses at the local practice pen and that's been canceled as well. Putting a dent in the old pocket book for sure. Might give me some time to prepare a few hides though.