So here's mine...now show us yours....

Misc150.jpg

Misc150.jpg

B B Q rig ?...... I would have to call that one "a sunday go to meeting".

fine looking outfit.............

I must have started the BBQ rig frenzy here!! This is the rig that I just made for one of my regular customers.

Frank

post-8516-010935300 1305984944_thumb.jpg

Nothing says "barbeque" better than a classic Tom Threepersons' style, especially when made for a vintage or custom handgun. Here are a few I have done:

1. customer-provided photo, carved Threepersons' for 6" S&W Highway Patrolman with stag grips.

2. customer-provided photo, carved Threepersons' for a Colt Single Action Army, set up for use with the customer's dad's custom belt.

3. Threepersons' with matching belt and cartridge slide, basketweave tooling, for a custom Ruger .476 Linebaugh.

4. Threepersons' with matching belt, hand-carved, for a 5" S&W Model 27.

5. Matching holsters made for a mother and daughter, hand-carved, for S&W Model 60 .357's.

These are always fun to do.

post-7487-062136200 1305985975_thumb.jpg

post-7487-028988800 1305986000_thumb.jpg

post-7487-061043300 1305986020_thumb.jpg

post-7487-031071400 1305986034_thumb.jpg

post-7487-005521400 1305986044_thumb.jpg

Custom Caspian Officers Model with ivory grips. In a sharkskin pancake holster.

Jeff

post-10292-018471600 1313767328_thumb.jp

I especially like your designs and quality of workmanship. Herman-Oak or W&C? That is a great looking piece of leather with a great color and finish.

Did you stitch after stamping your edge?

ferg

Misc150.jpg

Frank, that is probably the nicest all around rig I've seen. I'm inspired!

cr-21-tighe-rig-004.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-003.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-001.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-005.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-006.jpg

The custom M1911 w/ivory grips the rig was made for.......

cr-21-tighe-m1911.jpg

The rig was built for a friend, Jim, a combat vet with 25 years service including three tours in Afghanistan...he's from California and the carving pattern is based on those used on Pennsylvania long rifles, The Bowie, by the late Gib Guignard,is a gussied up version of the one Jim carried on his first two tours in the 'Stan whihc had also been made by Gib.

Edited by ChuckBurrows

Eaglestroker,

I really do appreciate the compliments. It was a pretty well thought out rig by the customer and myself. I will post photos of the gun with the rig tomorrow. The owner just sent them to me the other day.

Chuck: why do you have to be like that and show everyone up??? LOL. That is a great rig Chuck, as always. We definitely need to talk some more when you have the time.

Frank

I found the gun with the rig, here they are.

Frank

post-8516-032403400 1313814642_thumb.jpg

post-8516-048895900 1313814649_thumb.jpg

post-8516-071675500 1313814656_thumb.jpg

Frank, just giving credit where it is due. I tool a little and the level of foresight and your steady hand amaze me. Even my most carefully thought out pieces seem to have more than a few hitches!

To Chuck, that rig just blew a gasket on my end. I have no interest in learning to carve but WOW!

Some true artists on this board.

Can someone explain to the Americanly-challenged what a "BBQ Rig" is?

I'm assuming it's another term for an off-duty rig?

Edited by amuckart

Hehe.. I am with you Amuckart

When I saw bbq rig, I was thinking toolbelt to hold tongs, sausage pricker and steak flipper!

Lovely leatherwork though!

There are roughly 40 states that allow Americans to carry guns openly, although with restrictions such as with a license and not in certain locations. Here is a map showing how prevalent Open Carry is:

http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

In those Open Carry friendly states, gun carriers are making their rigs look more upscale and attractive. In the old days (like 5 years ago), everyone carried in simple black leather or kydex holsters. Now, everyone wants exotic skins and unique designs to show off. A BBQ rig is the show off holster and gun combination. Its an excellent trend that will make carrying guns more acceptable to the public.

Did that help?

Well, here are a couple of holsters that might fit into that category........Mike

005-3.jpg

001-3-1.jpg

When I saw bbq rig, I was thinking toolbelt to hold tongs, sausage pricker and steak flipper!

I think those would be for a grilling rig. Barbecue is low and slow. A beer holster might work well.

Nice stuff.

Edited by JDM

I especially like your designs and quality of workmanship. Herman-Oak or W&C? That is a great looking piece of leather with a great color and finish.

Did you stitch after stamping your edge?

ferg

Thanks Ferg, yes I stamped the belt, added the spots, then stitched it.

There are roughly 40 states that allow Americans to carry guns openly, although with restrictions such as with a license and not in certain locations. Here is a map showing how prevalent Open Carry is:

http://www.opencarry.../opencarry.html

In those Open Carry friendly states, gun carriers are making their rigs look more upscale and attractive. In the old days (like 5 years ago), everyone carried in simple black leather or kydex holsters. Now, everyone wants exotic skins and unique designs to show off. A BBQ rig is the show off holster and gun combination. Its an excellent trend that will make carrying guns more acceptable to the public.

Did that help?

In a nutshell, what he meant to say was - It's something you would wear to a BBQ while sitting around with friends, grilling meat, smoking cigars and talking smart :D

A couple of these rigs are so nice Roy Rogers would wear them to the BBQ. Very impressive.

cr-21-tighe-rig-004.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-003.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-001.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-005.jpg

cr-21-tighe-rig-006.jpg

The custom M1911 w/ivory grips the rig was made for.......

cr-21-tighe-m1911.jpg

The rig was built for a friend, Jim, a combat vet with 25 years service including three tours in Afghanistan...he's from California and the carving pattern is based on those used on Pennsylvania long rifles, The Bowie, by the late Gib Guignard,is a gussied up version of the one Jim carried on his first two tours in the 'Stan whihc had also been made by Gib.

That is a gorgeous rig. I'm planning to do something very similar for both of my sons and their wives eventually.

http://www.opencarry.../opencarry.html

Did that help?

That certainly helped me understand the term. Thanks. Now, to get Florida back to an open carry state.

I must have started the BBQ rig frenzy here!! This is the rig that I just made for one of my regular customers.

Frank

post-8516-010935300 1305984944_thumb.jpg

nice rig

Thanks Mountain Man, I appreciate it. This is a BBQ rig I made for myself. Thanks to Lobo for the Threeperson's pattern. This is for my custom 3.25" Taurus single action 45 Colt.

Frank

post-8516-040893900 1317010345_thumb.jpg