Phatdaddy

Ereader Sleeve

I don't have the ereader, I want to make this as a gift. I know the dimensions are 184mm x 120mm x 10mm from the manufacturer website. I have never made a case specifically for an item before and much less without the actual item. I was wondering what size I should make the case sides without a welt and lining it with some garment suede.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Is the intended recipient content with the current sleeve, if they have one? If so, work from that. If they don't have one, observe how they hold/store/carry the reader. This will let you know if you want a top or side opening. Would a handle be useful to them?

Also consider the location of the charging cable. Make sure they can charge it without taking it out of the sleeve.

A lining with add weight and thickness, is that an issue?

Do you need lining on both sides or just on the screen side?

You can lose a welt by making the whole thing out of one piece of leather.

Thanks for the points you have made, I'll be sure to take each into careful consideration.

At present my main concern is how much length and width should I add to allow for the 10mm width of the ereader +/- 1mm for the lining and then lacing/stitching, if that is possible to assume without having the unit.

Thank you.

Cut a piece of wood the size you need ( you may need to add some leather or something to it to get the right thickness ) and make you pattern off of that. That's the way i do things like that anyway.

Not sure what ereader your making it for, but a kindle (I have the new one) is the same size as a standard dvd plastic cover, I just finished molding my inner sleeve using a dvd case for shaping and my kindle slips in just fine, not to tight or loose with just enough room for the 2 layers of 1mm suede I intend to use for the lining.

Natalie

Your best bet will be to make a pattern, or borrow one to do the fitting.

As to how much extra to leave will depend on how you intend to make it. Stitched up the sides, stitched up the back, one piece, multiple peices,,,,,,,,,, Personally I would go with a tooled case that is more rigid, but that is just me, the guy who prefers paper books to any electronic version. You know the ones I am talking about. The ones that don't need batteries, go anywhere, easy to read in the kitchen while cooking the recipe or working under the hood of the car, might get a little wrinkled if they get wet, can be used to level tables or boost other items, can be dropped or even thrown without worry, can be used to start a fire in an emergency, easily recycled, usable for art projects, have a cool factor when you are holding a very old version, can have a smell that brings back memories, develop a personality with dog eared pages/ fingerprints /doodles,never go on the fritz, and easily read in the park on a bright sunny day. B)

Tandy has a few patterns that are on sale right now if you want to go that route. I think they are like half price. Well not patterns but project packs or whatever they are called. Would be easier for your first one.

Not sure what ereader your making it for, but a kindle (I have the new one) is the same size as a standard dvd plastic cover, I just finished molding my inner sleeve using a dvd case for shaping and my kindle slips in just fine, not to tight or loose with just enough room for the 2 layers of 1mm suede I intend to use for the lining.

Natalie

I didn't realize they were that small. Never have seen one.

Maybe cut a piece of masonite if your going to make your own pattern.

Your best bet will be to make a pattern, or borrow one to do the fitting.

As to how much extra to leave will depend on how you intend to make it. Stitched up the sides, stitched up the back, one piece, multiple peices,,,,,,,,,, Personally I would go with a tooled case that is more rigid, but that is just me, the guy who prefers paper books to any electronic version. You know the ones I am talking about. The ones that don't need batteries, go anywhere, easy to read in the kitchen while cooking the recipe or working under the hood of the car, might get a little wrinkled if they get wet, can be used to level tables or boost other items, can be dropped or even thrown without worry, can be used to start a fire in an emergency, easily recycled, usable for art projects, have a cool factor when you are holding a very old version, can have a smell that brings back memories, develop a personality with dog eared pages/ fingerprints /doodles,never go on the fritz, and easily read in the park on a bright sunny day. B)

I own and read lots of books and completly agree with you about smells, memories etc.

BUT!!! my kindle can be read easily in a park on a bright sunny day, I need a light if its dark, it really is just like reading newsprint.

and, if you travel... there is nothing worse than running out of 'book' half way through a long trip, no chance of that with a kindle, I have a few hundred books loaded on it so I know the next one in the series of whatever I am reading is waiting for me. I got mine at christmas and its only on its 3rd recharge. It appears for me that the battery is lasting aprox. 9 books worth of reading. Its also not back light like a laptop, so no sore eyes (well no more than I would normally get for reading 2 books in a row like I did this weekend)

Natalie

BTW, if anybody needs the specs for a Nook, send me a note. SWMBO has one I can measure for you. Especially the measurement they don't normally give on the websites, like where, exactly, the recharge connection is located.

The DVD case idea is brilliant! Thank you. It is a bit larger than the dimensions of the eReader she has(Kobo), but its meant as a protective case to transport it as it has nothing currently and if making the pattern off of a DVD case will fit a broader range of eReaders all the better!!.

Thank you all for the suggestions.