rgraham1961

Porter Saddle Identification

HI, i recently purchased a couple of saddles, one of which is an old Porter saddle that belonged to an Arizona Senator - Frank Crosby. The saddle has a nice floral design. It is only slightly used.. probably just in a few parades. The saddle has a number on it - 24407. And of course it has the logo/emblem for Porter saddles just below the horn. I'd like to find out if anyone knows what the 24407 is.. does that date it? Please let me know if anyone has any knowledge about identifying the year this saddle was made. Thank you in advance for any advice or help that anyone might offer. Best Wishes, R. Graham - Lakeside AZ - i also bought a G. H. Schoellkopf "Famous Jumbo Brand" saddle. If anyone knows much about them. There is a number that says 55 stamped on it. Thanks Again

Edited by rgraham1961

Can give you some info on your saddles.

First the Porter. If you contact Porter of Phoenix and provide the them the number they will be able to provide a complete history

on the saddle in question.

On the "Famous Jumbo Brand" saddle. This maker founded his saddlery in Dallas,Texas in 1869. He used the "White Elephant"

brand until 1902 and shifted the the Jumbo att that time. They continued making saddles thru the 1970's.

Hope this helps out some

On 5/22/2011 at 7:39 PM, rgraham1961 said:

HI, i recently purchased a couple of saddles, one of which is an old Porter saddle that belonged to an Arizona Senator - Frank Crosby. The saddle has a nice floral design. It is only slightly used.. probably just in a few parades. The saddle has a number on it - 24407. And of course it has the logo/emblem for Porter saddles just below the horn. I'd like to find out if anyone knows what the 24407 is.. does that date it? Please let me know if anyone has any knowledge about identifying the year this saddle was made. Thank you in advance for any advice or help that anyone might offer. Best Wishes, R. Graham - Lakeside AZ - i also bought a G. H. Schoellkopf "Famous Jumbo Brand" saddle. If anyone knows much about them. There is a number that says 55 stamped on it. Thanks Again

Porter saddles with serial numbers in the 24189-24500 range were built in 1946.

BNP

Howdy, new member here... my son is an avid leather worker and we found this thread while researching building a set of stirrups for my N. Porter saddle, No. 16080. The current metal stirrups are antique but not original to that saddle. It came with leather-wrapped over wood and tapaderos, all stamped to match the rest of the leather,NPorter.thumb.jpg.078ecd2cce04f80497f80a1984c0e6f8.jpg but they were heavily damaged and not safe for use.

In the past I have tried to find out more about this saddle. I bought it 19 years ago in Denver from an elderly woman then in her 90s, who had received the saddle as a birthday present from her father when she was a young girl. My own daughter used it in 4H for years. It is in such good shape (except the stirrups) that I couldn't bring myself to part with it. Now though we have since moved into a smaller place and I may have to sell it, sadly.

As far as documenting your cards BNewtonP,  you might consider purchasing a decent flatbed scanner and making digitized copies of those cards for safekeeping. If you need advice on doing that just give a holler. I used to manage a huge database of digitized files before retiring and can give you some tips. A good activity for a rainy day.  :-)

Lisa

Twowilldo: No. 16080 was built 1940. Most closely resembles the “Porter 1130”. Made with the full checker stamp, the price would have been $84.00, or $1,500 in 2019. I’ll ask my son to pull the card.

BNP

On 5/22/2011 at 7:39 PM, rgraham1961 said:

Dear rgraham1961:

My son has located the build card for your Porter saddle (24407). I have attached a photo which authenticates the saddle.

BNP

24407.png

On 8/2/2019 at 6:07 PM, twowilldo said:

Howdy, new member here... my son is an avid leather worker and we found this thread while researching building a set of stirrups for my N. Porter saddle, No. 16080. The current metal stirrups are antique but not original to that saddle. It came with leather-wrapped over wood and tapaderos, all stamped to match the rest of the leather,NPorter.thumb.jpg.078ecd2cce04f80497f80a1984c0e6f8.jpg but they were heavily damaged and not safe for use.

In the past I have tried to find out more about this saddle. I bought it 19 years ago in Denver from an elderly woman then in her 90s, who had received the saddle as a birthday present from her father when she was a young girl. My own daughter used it in 4H for years. It is in such good shape (except the stirrups) that I couldn't bring myself to part with it. Now though we have since moved into a smaller place and I may have to sell it, sadly.

As far as documenting your cards BNewtonP,  you might consider purchasing a decent flatbed scanner and making digitized copies of those cards for safekeeping. If you need advice on doing that just give a holler. I used to manage a huge database of digitized files before retiring and can give you some tips. A good activity for a rainy day.  :-)

Lisa

Dear Lisa:

My son has located the build card for your Porter saddle (16080). I've attached a photo of the card, authenticating your saddle.

BNP

16080.png

Hey BNP,

As long as you're looking, would you look up mine as well.  I will need to know where to look for the number, as the saddle leathers are very dry and won't stand any unnecessary lifting or pulling.  Thanks in advance.

SaddleBags:

The serial number is found on the (near-side) stamped on the rear skirt, under the rear jockey. 

BNP

No ID under the near aft jockey.  Pulled the Jockeys completely off and looked at the skirts everywhere that is not covered by the tree.  Guess someone might have replaced the original skirts and destroyed the evidence - as it were. 

Fatbandit:

I've added 18410 to my list. Porter saddles 17543-20213 were built between 1942-1943. Please send photographs if you can. I'd love to see it.

BNP

On 8/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, SaddleBags said:

No ID under the near aft jockey.  Pulled the Jockeys completely off and looked at the skirts everywhere that is not covered by the tree.  Guess someone might have replaced the original skirts and destroyed the evidence - as it were. 

So sorry to hear that. Send multiple photos if you can. Perhaps I can approximate some of the history using my catalogues.

BNP

BNEWTONP I purchased this saddle a couple years ago and was wondering if I could get some info on it. Anything would be greatly appreciated. The number on it is 22978. Thanks in advance.

Mike

2019-09-29-20-01-43.jpg

Good Day:

I will add 22978 to my list. 

This saddle was built late 1944, or early 1945.

BNP

Good afternoon   

I was looking for someone who could tell me any information on a William N Porter saddle I have.  The number on it is 18943.  It is in great condition and would appreciate anyone who could help me find the history on it.  If you could email me I would be glad to send pictures.              
                                                Thank you very much.  

Hi, I just purchased saddle Q00173. I was told it came off a ranch just west of wickenburg. It has flathead screws and the William n porter with the saddle logo

Hello!

So happy to find this page as would love to date my grandfather’s Porter.

it is number 11772.

Thank you SO much.

‘Kerry Segel

I recently started investigating an old N. Porter saddle that belonged to my late husband's stepfather's father.  After reading some of the postings, I looked and found the number 11540. Can you give my any information on this saddle?  Thank you,  C. Mason

I would like to jump in on this post.  I am helping the relatives of my neighbor who recently passed.  They have a Porter saddle with the number 0398.  Can someone help me with more information on this saddle?  It is in very good condition and appears to be a 13".

Scott

Hello everyone,

I just got a Porter at an estate sale with number 00640 and was hoping to ask if I could get some help in learning it’s story. It’s definitely been put through it’s paces but I’m very likely going to explore getting it restored. 

Thanks y’all!