Sign in to follow this  
roo4u

Memorial Day Vent

i just cant believe the horrible service i attended today. i took my mom to the the memorial day service at ft mcpherson national cemetery. its here in Nebraska and my stepdad is buried there. first the keynote speaker couldnt attend so they got a replacement speaker, who apparently didnt even read his speech beforehand. it was horrible, he stumbled thru it, mispronouncing words and getting the words wrong, so he would back up and repeat it. when the colorguard came out one of the girls was wearing a seethru blouse and flipflops, unbelievable! and to top it off the person that played taps couldnt really play the trumpet, barely hitting a correct note and not playing all the way thru.

and people wonder what is happening in this country...

I'm so sorry for you. I hear the ceremony at our local park is fantastic every year. Vets deserve better.

Being a 3rd generation Marine I completely agree with this. I have been to quite a few ceremonies, although I'm sure you have been to much more. Some are just breath-taking and make me so proud of my decision to follow in these fallen hero's footsteps, while others leave me disappointed and wondering if people truly appreciate the sacrifices that many men and women made in the past. Take it with a grain of salt, pretty much the only thing that can be done now....

Being a 3rd generation Marine I completely agree with this. I have been to quite a few ceremonies, although I'm sure you have been to much more. Some are just breath-taking and make me so proud of my decision to follow in these fallen hero's footsteps, while others leave me disappointed and wondering if people truly appreciate the sacrifices that many men and women made in the past. Take it with a grain of salt, pretty much the only thing that can be done now....

hello joey, i just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service, and when you get home and start back doing leather work, and need some help just let me know and i will help all i can,you can view some of my work on my gallery. i am working on putting together a class at my local v.a. hospital where i will be teaching beginner leather classes to inpatient rehab folks, i am a 100% disable vet. stay safe and come home soon. john ivy/sgt/usmc semper fi!

hello joey, i just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service, and when you get home and start back doing leather work, and need some help just let me know and i will help all i can,you can view some of my work on my gallery. i am working on putting together a class at my local v.a. hospital where i will be teaching beginner leather classes to inpatient rehab folks, i am a 100% disable vet. stay safe and come home soon. john ivy/sgt/usmc semper fi!

Well, thank you for all your appreciation but I have to say that it's you that should be thanked. My great-grandfather recieved a purple heart in Vietnam and has been my hero my whole life, people forget too easily about how difficult things were then. This deployment has been nothing but a political battle, the Marines these days take too many luxuries for granted. So, my cover is off to you, Sergeant.

-Joey

i think the most upsetting thing about it is that this was Ft Mcpherson National Cemetery....i just expected a bit more professionalism from them. considering that the entire reason for their being is those who have served. some of the vets there were so upset about it they were crying...not cool.

To those above who have posted and those reading here who were involved in the service. I want to say a heartfelt "THANK YOU' sincerely, from my heart.

Aaron

i think the most upsetting thing about it is that this was Ft Mcpherson National Cemetery....i just expected a bit more professionalism from them. considering that the entire reason for their being is those who have served. some of the vets there were so upset about it they were crying...not cool.

I'm sorry for you bad experience and I really feel for all the vets there. I have done a few color guard ceremonies and they give me goosebumps still.