Sign in to follow this  
FlyingCowgirl

Broken Tree - Repair?

I purchased a saddle recently with a Broken tree. Even with a broken tree, this is a valuable saddle. I'm looking for advice on repairing. I will consider replacing the tree, but would rather repair it if possible. Replacing the tree seems to be a pretty huge task. I will also be asking the original saddle maker for his advice and will be taking it to the local tack shop. I am an amateur leatherworker and would really like to learn from this process and not just pay someone else to do it.

This saddle is a Fallis Balanced Ride, if it really matters. The tree is patented. I know that much.

post-11444-022938100 1306854462_thumb.jp

Edited by FlyingCowgirl

Valuable Saddle ? i would replace the tree, i did.

it is no good to anyone in it's present condition, after you replace the tree it would be of value. I M H O

Precision Saddle Tree - one of the sponsors of LW.net that has an ad up top that rotates in at times - has a tree repair service. You send them the broken tree and they repair it and send it back. You'd still learn a lot taking apart the saddle and putting it back together again, which is what you have to do to repair a tree anyway.

Wow, thanks Denise.

I contacted John Fallis and I pretty much knew what his answer was going to be, but wanted to ask anyway. Basically, I can send it to him and it will cost me $800 to fix.

I'm going to look into your suggestion and see where that goes.

Precision Saddle Tree - one of the sponsors of LW.net that has an ad up top that rotates in at times - has a tree repair service. You send them the broken tree and they repair it and send it back. You'd still learn a lot taking apart the saddle and putting it back together again, which is what you have to do to repair a tree anyway.

Luke, I want to thank you for your feedback as well. :yes:

Valuable Saddle ? i would replace the tree, i did.

it is no good to anyone in it's present condition, after you replace the tree it would be of value. I M H O

The last one I had I sent to Baties Tree Co they basicly reproduced the tree using the old one for around 200.00 plus shipping if I recall.

P.O.BOX 327

346 S. Commercial

Welch, OK 74369

(918) 788-3686 Tel (918)788-3195 Fax

Thanks Randy, I will check into that. The tree is Patented, so I am not sure if they'd be willing to do this.

I contacted Precision but, haven't gotten a reply back yet.

The last one I had I sent to Baties Tree Co they basicly reproduced the tree using the old one for around 200.00 plus shipping if I recall.

P.O.BOX 327

346 S. Commercial

Welch, OK 74369

(918) 788-3686 Tel (918)788-3195 Fax

The Fallis Balanced Ride saddle tree is a specalized tree. Unless the tree maker has the specifications and has made the tree, I would not recommend having the tree duplicated. If Precision can repair the tree, that would be a better option.

Replacing the tree in a saddle is a major project, and many things can go wrong in the process even for the experienced saddle maker. If John is willing to do the job for $800.00 you will be ahead of the game and have a better result.

Respectfully,

Bob